Problems with our old PC - POKER chat as well!

Guest Trash

Guest Trash

Hi,

Our second PC, which the wife uses, has buggered up in some way.

Whenever we switch it on it asks which mode of windows you want to start ie Normal, Safe Mode etc etc.

It will only load up in safe mode. In normal mode it loads the Windows 98 loading screen and then you get a black screen with the message:

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

We do this but it just goes back to how I have put above.

Is there anything I can do in safe mode to get this sorted please? Any advice welcomed!

Cheers

Stu

As a last resort you could back everything up and try formatting the hard drive and resetting the BIOS. But that’s not worth thinking about until you have tried everything else out, but i wouldn't know what to surgest.

Edited by Rikard

Hi,

Our second PC, which the wife uses, has buggered up in some way.

Whenever we switch it on it asks which mode of windows you want to start ie Normal, Safe Mode etc etc.

It will only load up in safe mode. In normal mode it loads the Windows 98 loading screen and then you get a black screen with the message:

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

We do this but it just goes back to how I have put above.

Is there anything I can do in safe mode to get this sorted please? Any advice welcomed!

Cheers

Stu

are you able to start up to desktop in safe mode then do a system restore to an earlier date? you shouldn't lose any files this way but restore points go back months....might be worth a try

no restore points on windows 98 is there?[not that i have ever found?]

you could try re-installing windows over the top? [if you still have your windows disc]or backup discs?

or did you in any way change anything or install anything before it went the way of the pear?

Try starting in safe mode and doing a virus/spyware sweep?

try these stu,if it still no good, post again,and i will have another think.

Edited by mad mick

When you are in safe mode try to start any programs which will normally run on start up,If any of them crash the computer you have the culprit,after that then try a normal start because just running is enough to fix some errors.

Failing that try james suggestion of restoring the registry,click on run in the start menu and type scanreg/restore be aware depending how often it backs up this may take the registry back a fair way and loose access to recently installed programs.

Usual disclaimer "I take no responsibilty for the smoking lump of plastic which used to be your pc if this advice goes wrong" But it's what I would try if it was mine.

Guest Trash

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Dino, I tried the scanreg/restore thing you suggested but it says that the file cannot be found?

I havn't tried the other things as yet, am doing it in between poker tournaments. The only thing that has changed with the machine since it lasted worked ok is that I took the memory out (old 128mb stick) but put it back in again.

In the system screen it says that it has 128mb memory so I presume this has been put back ok.

Cheers

Stu

Guest Trash

Thanks, it did have a space in it. Have tried that and it got a little further but then said that it cannot run this prompt from within windows. It then says to shutdown to DOS and to do scanreg.exe /restore.....how do I get to DOS?

Sorry for the idiot questions!

this is a memory test for windows 98...but i think...and i will stand corrected...that click start then run that takes u into dos? type the thing in the box and hit enter...i think?.

you have probley already done it stu but make sure the memory stick you removed and put back is seated propley.

failing all that i will bring me 12 bore over to wisbech and we will give it a proper burial... :rofl:

this is a memory test for windows 98...but i think...and i will stand corrected...that click start then run that takes u into dos? type the thing in the box and hit enter...i think?.

you have probley already done it stu but make sure the memory stick you removed and put back is seated propley.

failing all that i will bring me 12 bore over to wisbech and we will give it a proper burial... :rofl:

to open a dos windows within windows98, open your run box/window thingy and type command - that'll open a dos window.... if it won't allow you (as u mentioned already i think) to run scanreg within windows do the following...

1. Exit the MS-DOS window, single click on "Start."

2. Single click on "Shut Down...," single click on "Restart the computer in MS-DOS Mode."

3. Single click on "OK."

The computer will restart in MS-DOS Mode. At the "C" prompt (C:\), change to the DOS application directory and type the name of the .exe file and press <Enter>. (info from here)

This page seems to have a good guide to diagnosing startup problems too, if a) you can slot in a look between poker games and B) Mick hasn't been over to do that burial thing already :)

good luck

Guest Trash

Thanks for the replies but I sorted it!

Dragged myself away from the tables long enough to chuck that old piece of junk out and buy the wife a brand new one. Problem sorted and a very happy mrs!

Cheers for the help,

Stu

Dragged myself away from the tables long enough to chuck that old piece of junk out and buy the wife a brand new one. Problem sorted and a very happy mrs!

Cheers for the help,

Stu

it was probably best lol, np

Cheers for the help,

Stu

boooooooo thats not right, i wanted to shot it, :thumbs_down: sometimes trash you can be a real spoilsport.... :rofl:

which site you playing poker on stu,i'll come n give you a game? texas hold em i take it?

Guest Trash

ladbrokespoker.com Mick.

Can usually be found in the Turbo multi table tournaments or on the turbo sit and go tables, user id: trash250

AndyH is usually floating about in that region as well.

Edited by Trash

cheers stu i will get that set up this week....c u soon

fenlander148 is my id on there so if anyone sits on same table give me a wave :042: normally play the MTT turbo tournys that start at 45 mins past the hour, bit of a lottery but some easy pickings to be had! Won the lunchtime crapshoot today for just over a grand (in $$$ unfortunatley but not to be sniffed at!!)

Ranny was on about organising some sort of UK Dirt private table at some point in the future if enough people are up for it. I know there are a few that do play poker online but at various different sites tho.

Cheers

Andy

Hello guys :042: ......

I thought would post here to save having a new topic...

When i start my computer up i have to push F1 before it will load up, i dont have any other troubles and i have been doing it like this for ages now just wondering if anyone new a simple anwser to my problem?

Thanks in advance

steve :thumbs_up:

P.S i am rubbish with computers!

Edited by nemesis

cheers stu i will get that set up this week....c u soon

fenlander148 is my id on there so if anyone sits on same table give me a wave :042: normally play the MTT turbo tournys that start at 45 mins past the hour, bit of a lottery but some easy pickings to be had! Won the lunchtime crapshoot today for just over a grand (in $$$ unfortunatley but not to be sniffed at!!)

Ranny was on about organising some sort of UK Dirt private table at some point in the future if enough people are up for it. I know there are a few that do play poker online but at various different sites tho.

Cheers

Andy

all set up chaps, madmick222 [are you shocked at my choice of name!!] had a go for an hour this afternoon and went from $38 to $111.00 wahoo not sure what that is in real money?60.00 quid? might give up lorry driving at that rate....

all set up chaps, madmick222 [are you shocked at my choice of name!!] had a go for an hour this afternoon and went from $38 to $111.00 wahoo not sure what that is in real money?60.00 quid? might give up lorry driving at that rate....

Nice one Mick! I have managed to setup a private table on there under the unoriginal name of "UK Dirt" (!!) so maybe we can arrange something sometime?! I did it as a ten seater table with a $5 buy in with top 3 getting paid. I could only set it up with 1000 chips starting amount but the buy in amount can be changed I beleive (or may have to set up another table if people wanted to play for more $$$) Password is dreamer. It will start automatically if 10 are in there but needs me to start it if there are less than that amount I think.

Cheers

Andy

Guest Trash

Nice one Mick! I have managed to setup a private table on there under the unoriginal name of "UK Dirt" (!!) so maybe we can arrange something sometime?! I did it as a ten seater table with a $5 buy in with top 3 getting paid. I could only set it up with 1000 chips starting amount but the buy in amount can be changed I beleive (or may have to set up another table if people wanted to play for more $$$) Password is dreamer. It will start automatically if 10 are in there but needs me to start it if there are less than that amount I think.

Cheers

Andy

Nice one Andy, will be up for that at some point!

thanks andy,will gladly come and let you chaps take my hard earned.....my early success has turned to dismall failure....i have lost my massive £20.00 stake....[had to dust off my lorry licence].....but i have since managed to win a couple of small turbo table games...so i'm up and running...dunno if anyones up for it maybe tommorrow evening....not sure whats racing on-line..i will start a seperate tread see if theres any interest??

does it cost you personally to set up the table andy?...cos i will gladly "chip in" [forgive the pun]

i won't wish anyone good luck cos i want my 20.00 quid back :rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..