Adding Reflections and Quality Shadows to Renders

Rikard

This tutorial will show you how to dramatically improve the look of all your renders by adding realistic reflections and nice soft shadows. See the example before and after pictures.

Before ---> [attachmentid=7771]

After ---> [attachmentid=7772]

For this tutorial you will need the "Light Tracer" Plug-in for 3D Max, i think it comes as standard in the later versions so you should all have it :thumbs_up:

I am using 3D Studio Max 8, but for these purposes the tutorial should still work very similar in other editions of 3D Max.

Right then, to start off with i have loaded my F1 machine into 3D max, added the wheels, put the car on a floor and applied my paint to the F1 model and tires, if you don't know how to get a car into 3D Max and/or don't know how to apply the texture to a model then please see my other tutorial that will explain how to do this by clicking >>Here<<.

In the pictures provided i have highlighted the things you will need in RED.

Once your all set them press "M" on your keyboard to open up the Material Editor.

Press the "Go To Parent" button a few times to make sure your Material Editor is in the correct starting place for this tutorial to begin.

[attachmentid=7752]

Click on the "Maps" roll out.

[attachmentid=7767]

Then go down to where it says "Reflection", and click on the box next to Reflections thats labelled "None"

[attachmentid=7753]

Then this menu will pop up, Double Click on the word "Falloff" (if you can't see that particular list of items then make sure you have a Dot next to the "New" in the "Browse From" section.

[attachmentid=7754]

Then, next to the "Falloff Type" box select "Fresnel" from the drop down box.

[attachmentid=7755]

Click on the "None" box highlighted.

[attachmentid=7756]

Double click on "Raytrace"

[attachmentid=7757]

Click on the "Go to Parent" button twice so your in the correct place for the next step,

[attachmentid=7758]

You then make sure you have scrolled to the top of this section, you do this by sliding the light grey slider on the right, (see highlighted)

[attachmentid=7759]

Then set the "Speculer Level" and "Glossiness" to the values in the screen shot shown below.

[attachmentid=7760]

Thats the Material Editor part finished, now, to set up the Lighting! This is where you will need the Light Tracer plug-in.

From the top bar as shown in the screen shot click Rendering ---> Advance Lighting ---> Light Tracer.

[attachmentid=7761]

You will then see this box, make sure that the highlighted section shows "Light Tracer", also make sure that the "Active" box has a tick in it. Then close the window down.

[attachmentid=7762]

Now to add an actual light to the scene.

As seen in the picture click on the "Create" button (represented by a mouse curser) ---> Lights (represented by the picture of a light) ---> then select the box "Sky Light"

[attachmentid=7763]

Then place the light anywhere in the scene (just one or the scene will become very bright!) it doesn’t matter where you place it as long as its above the floor surface.

[attachmentid=7764]

Press F9 to render then you should have something, that looks a little, like this......

[attachmentid=7773]

Don't forget that you can go back and change certain values, try different settings and experiment, thats the best way to discover new things and improve your rendering skills.

If you have any questions or queries about this then go ahead and hit the post reply button, then either me or someone else will try our best to help out. :thumbs_up:

I hope you found this tutorial useful, fun and that you have learned something new. :king:

Thanks for Reading!

Rikard :2:

post-775-1153603326_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603335_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603344_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603353_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603361_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603369_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603378_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603387_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603428_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603439_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603451_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603458_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153603467_thumb.jpg

post-775-1153604157.jpg

post-775-1153605280.jpg

post-775-1153605292.jpg

post-775-1153605521.jpg

Edited by Rikard

anyone know if this light tracer plugin is avalible on max3 been looking for a while and getting tierd now lol

can noone help me :scared15:

I have no idea im afraid, all i know is that it comes with the later versions of 3D Max.

Iv had a look through my 3D Max folders and i can't locate it there, you may have to get a later copy of 3D Max 8, you can download a free trial off the internet, then when you do that contact me and i can help you out ;):thumbs_up:

Hi rikard ive followed through your tutorialstep by step and heres the final product but it is too bright.

[attachmentid=7832]

Any suggestions??

Martin

post-783-1153833146.jpg

Hi rikard ive followed through your tutorialstep by step and heres the final product but it is too bright.

[attachmentid=7832]

Any suggestions??

Martin

Make sure you have only added one Sky Light, if you add two or more by mistake then it will become much too bright as it has done there.

When your in the scene press the letter "H" on the keyboard to bring up this box...

[attachmentid=7833]

Make sure on the list you only have 1 Sky Light, they appear as "Sky" on the list with a number after, in my example i have added 2 to demenstrate, if there are too many deleate them so there is only 1.

Let me know if it works :thumbs_up:

post-775-1153833423.jpg

Uve posted exact same time as me :o:o

whats the chance of that lol

Martin,

those "Omni" things are lights aswell, deleate both of them and render it again.

[attachmentid=7836]

Deleate the things iv high lighted in red.

Erik, that F1 looks cool, i like the flames, does this mean you gonna start racing F1's?

post-775-1153835116.jpg

Think thats it now.

[attachmentid=7837]

Experemented and used a plain box for a floor.

[attachmentid=7838]

Martin

post-783-1153836027.jpg

post-783-1153836909.jpg

Edited by martwisely

If there is anywhere I can race f1s for free then yes, I might consider doing them.

Thanks for the compliments :thumbup:

Edited by erik

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..