New Hard drive wont install

Dazza290

Hi all,

Im back with a hard drive problem! Luckily the old one still works fine but I have bought a new 160gb hard drive (IDE) and have set that as the slave, but when i boot up, the normal one (with windows on) works fine but the other one (Slave) wont show up in the My Computer display. On the top of the hard drive it has 4 different settings for making it a slave, I have tried all 4 but none have worked. Now im sure the new 160gb would work if I set it as the master and whacked windows on it, but ideally I wanted to keep it as a slave. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dazza

not to sure on that m8,but mine is a 80gb hardrive but i can only use 71gb dunno why lol but maybe the same for ur just more not availbe maybe? :shrug:

I beleive you normally lose a certain amount of Hard disk space because you install windows on to it (or it is pre-loaded onto it when you buy a pc). But I havent got windows installed on this and I think 32gb is a little too much to loase if it is supposed to be 160gb.

Wish I hadnt of bothered now :rofl:

Dazza

The reason is complicated Dazza, there used to be a maximum size that Windows could work with, but I thought as long as you format it using the NTFS method it should see the whole of the disk, are you 100% sure you chose the correct options when you formatted it?

I have a 160Gb disk and that works fine lol ;)

The reason is complicated Dazza, there used to be a maximum size that Windows could work with, but I thought as long as you format it using the NTFS method it should see the whole of the disk, are you 100% sure you chose the correct options when you formatted it?

NTFS was the only option available to format with, so im pretty sure it's right.

I think it might be easier just to install windows onto the enw one and go from there??

Thats pretty much spot on but sometimes no matter what you do you still lose roughly a few gig. It is used for virtual memory and other things. There will be ways to use a whole driver and every little bit of space but its not always advisable.

My 120gb shows as 111gb.

Thats pretty much spot on but sometimes no matter what you do you still lose roughly a few gig. It is used for virtual memory and other things. There will be ways to use a whole driver and every little bit of space but its not always advisable.

My 120gb shows as 111gb.

Fair comment mate, I know that a new disk never shows up to what is shown but surely a 160gb disk shouldnt lose 32gb. I would accept a 10gb loss but anything more I think seems abit of a rip off!

Hi

It is a disk controller limitation.

Motherboards older than about 2 years will see a maximum of 128/137 depending on counting method.

Check to see if there are any updated drivers for your motherboard,if not split the drive into 2 partitions.

Hi

It is a disk controller limitation.

Motherboards older than about 2 years will see a maximum of 128/137 depending on counting method.

Check to see if there are any updated drivers for your motherboard,if not split the drive into 2 partitions.

Thanks Dino, at least I know now there isnt a 'hidden' problem.

I've had a search on how to partition a hard drive but it only comes up with what seems to be 'mumbo jumbo', do you know of any good step by step guides on how to do this?

cheers again

Dazza

I'm old fashioned so I do my partitions and formating in dos at the same time as I install the disk.

Check the website of the disk maker,most of them have utilities for disk management.

Some good advise in here, wish i knew what it all ment.

Installed a new hard disk few weeks ago (250Gb) but some how screwed it up installing and formating as it only came out at 33GB, lol so if you thinking your having a a bad time dazza with 32gb lost, i lost some where in order 217GB at moment :banghead2::unsure:

Would of play around with it more but at time instaltion i had about 900mb of free space to play with across both disk i had already installed so left it for the time being.

P.s. sorry for hi jacking your thread Dazza.

Splodge, if you format the drive in xp using the "fat32"file system only 32gb will be seen, it needs to be formated using "NTFS" file system to see all of it,you should have had the option when formating.

If you want to use Fat32 you will need to format in dos.

Also check the drive, because some have a jumper to limit the capacity for use with much older systemss.

Ok, I am totally lost now. On the top of the instructions for the hard drive it says '32gb Clip'. If i set the jumper to what it says on there it only brings up 32gb. If i set it to normal slave settings its reading 128gb. So im guessing that could be the other 32gb im missing, or is it simply taking 32gb off of the 128gb.

I have also read elsewhere what Dino has said, updating the motherboard, so how would I find out what my motherboard is?? In bios??

And it also says on the top of the instructions 15 heads and 16 heads, but I can find any info on what my hard drive is. I have tried pertioining it to no avail, but maybe it is the motherboard :shrug:

Thanks for all the help so far though lads,

Dazza

Thanks Dino.

Does eMachines, Inc. MS6777 sound right for the motherboard.

I have done loads of seraches for motherboard drivers, but none seem to show up my computer model. Emachines 610. Do you know of any good driver sites, I have trawled through Goggle but cant find nothing as of yet.

Dazza

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..