New PC & Heat Problems

DanSkin

Hi chaps,

Got myself a new PC lately (still running both side by side for a while at least).

Key Bits

Processor - AMD64 Athlon X2 4600+ 1Mb cache

Memory - 2.0GB DDR 400mhz (2 x 1GB)

GFX - NVidia GeForce 7950GX2 PCI-E 1GB DDR3 Dual DVI/TV

The Problem

Heat installed, fine, as do the mods, they start fine. I thought everything was fine, until last Thursday & Friday night racing - the game plays fine for 20mins or so, then gets more and more choppy. Until the point where it becomes unplayable with screen freezes getting longer and more regular (every second or few seconds).

I have tried:

- running the game on dual core, or either core singularly.

- running in compatability modes.

- combinations of the above.

The results being no help with the problem, and the introduction of the sound problems (i.e. played at superspeed).

I haven't tried:

- running the game long enough to see if it crashes (I will try this tomorrow while bangers are on)

For info - I have other (more recent...) games installed, which are running fine & for long periods of time.

I'd be grateful for help/suggestions/ideas anyone has. I will post crash log results (if there is one) tomorrow.

Also, it's a long time since I've had an up-to-date PC, so any "setup" tips for best performance would be appreciated...

A pc of that spec doesn't need any 'setup' tips for, you just run everything at max ;)

It sounds initially like something getting too hot but if other games don't suffer the same problem it can't be that, only other thing I can think of is a graphics driver problem.

what graphic drive u runnin?

driver provider: NVidia

driver date: 12/05/2006

driver version: 9.1.2.7

OR (depending on where i get the info from...)

date: 13/05/06

version: 6.14.0010.9127

some more info needed

what model of mobo are you using ?

what temp is the card at idle

have you tried any other games from the likes of FEAR ? does it hapen with all games :shrug:

ASUS a8n-sli se mobo

gfx card at idle is 60ish degrees

rises up to 70 in games

according to speedfan rest of stuff running at around 40 inside PC

Haven't tried with Fear, have tried with Call of Duty 2, rFactor, GTR & GTL at max graphics for long periods and there's no problems at all.

Cheers for the ideas so far lads, it wouldnt crash last night just got worse and worse, I'll keep trying every so often to see if I can get it to though..

Believe it or not, You can encounter problems with HEAT when you computer is over powerful. You may also have problems on some occassion playing online, as game will shut down. I f you get this problem, just go into task manager and change the heat.exe and heat.bin to run on single core.

:2:

swerve

I had this problem, althought it started as soon as i go into a race, not after 20 minutes like you. This happened for two or three days, and then just went away...

there is one thing i will say thought, go and makes sure there are no new updates for your graphics card drivers, as this can sometimes cause it to become lower in my experience of playing counter strike source online.

I have had an annoying problem with Heat aswell.

I used to run Heat with everything on max, I also turn everything up on max in my graphic cards options aswell (im running the Catalyst Control thing for my ATI card)

As i said everything used to run perfect, then one day i had to re-format my hard drive. When i had installed everything back on (and updated all drivers etc) the game runs slow on max, so i have to turn it down quite a bit which is very annoying. I haven’t changed anything in my computer, and it still runs all my other games fine eg FEAR.

My computer is 1 year and 9 moths old, its a

Dell Dimension XPS Generation 3

Graphics Card - Radeon X800 XT 256 RAM

System RAM - 1.5 Gig

Processor - Pentium 4 - 3.4 Gig Hertz

It doesn't have any Duel Core or anything that fancy.

Any ideas?

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

:2:

Rikard. Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers after you formatted? I know if you don't do this you won't get as good graphics in Heat. :thumbs_up:

If you don't install the mobo drivers your pc will be like taken the turbo of a turbo diesel engine, it runs like a bag of nails.

Since a mobo is integral to a pc, so are the drivers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..