two users on the same connection ?

garyellis

My son wants to join UKDirt using the same broadband connection as me , I've checked and when we are both connected to the net , we both have the same IP address.

Would it cause problems in heat if both of us were racing at the same time , or would we have to pick different meetings to race in ?

I'd advise a router if you don't have one already....we use 2 pc's here and internet connection sharing (the connection to one machine, the 2nd machine connected through the first....imagine the connection setup is an L shape with the internet at the top, then the first machine at the middle and the 2nd machine at the other end) had problems .....the first being that both machines need to be on if pc 2 wants to connect to the internet lol.

Buy a router.....you'll save the price (between £60ish to £100ish) in electric in a year and the setups relatively easy...isn't it GazJ....DaveW..... :thumbup:

cheers

I'd advise a router if you don't have one already....we use 2 pc's here and internet connection sharing (the connection to one machine, the 2nd machine connected through the first....imagine the connection setup is an L shape with the internet at the top, then the first machine at the middle and the 2nd machine at the other end) had problems .....the first being that both machines need to be on if pc 2 wants to connect to the internet lol.

Buy a router.....you'll save the price (between £60ish to £100ish) in electric in a year and the setups relatively easy...isn't it GazJ....DaveW..... :thumbup:

cheers

Thanks wrighty , I'm using a router just now, so he should be up and beating me online soon ( though the amount of wobblys he throws when were racing offline , he'll be lucky to last a week before getting banned LOL )

Edited by garyellis

cheers

Yeh Wrighty is correct! I am also on a crossover cable Wrighty as my router power supply blew up and i have been too lazy so far to fix it.

Can anyone tell me...is this also true if you are using a Wanadoo Livebox?

Should also work with a wanadoo livebox :thumbup: as it works fine here. But onlything is i cant host anymore :thumbs_down:

• 1 month later...

As far as my understanding goes, this 'router' enables two computers to share the same connection and wil enable another computer in my house toi race online at the same time as another, yes?

Ok questions:

1) If my first computer hosted a private server, could my second computer join this server as they will both share the same ip address?

2) Can anyone point out where i can get one from?

Thanks, help much appriciated,

Kruiz

1) If my first computer hosted a private server, could my second computer join this server as they will both share the same ip address?

Hi m8,

Most routers now have a built-in firewall, so if you're first pc hosts a server, the 2nd pc'll get in no problem but you may not be able to serve to the outside world ....... until you dabble with the router settings haha...nah it can be done but its a faff, but pc's on your network'll find it np

I got a Netgear DG834 wired router (not wireless, ask kewy about wireless ;)) with a built-in firewall....i've linked the 'range' page rather than product so u can look at the choices, but ours was easy to set up and works very well.

:thumbs_up:

Hi m8,

Most routers now have a built-in firewall, so if you're first pc hosts a server, the 2nd pc'll get in no problem but you may not be able to serve to the outside world ....... until you dabble with the router settings haha...nah it can be done but its a faff, but pc's on your network'll find it np

I got a Netgear DG834 wired router (not wireless, ask kewy about wireless ;)) with a built-in firewall....i've linked the 'range' page rather than product so u can look at the choices, but ours was easy to set up and works very well.

:thumbs_up:

Thanks m8, thats a great help :thumbup::2:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..