Help Please

Kruiz 136

For 2 or 3 weeks now I have been having problems with my PC and have had to revert to my old PC (which I am using now) but i has been in storage for about 5 years an is o slow even to play online Ukdirt.

I'm getting annoyed about missing out on my racing now and have tried every I know to fix my problem with my PC and I really want to get my decent PC running again.

I as hoping now tht mybe some of the more techical minded people on here could help me bcause at the moment I have had to leave it to my Dad to fix and we are getting nowhere lol.

The problem is this, my Dad took AOL off the PC, then put it back (not sure why) but it seems that the PC didn't like it. It looks like the AOL program installed properly until you click 'sign in' and the welcome page says 'page cannot be displayed'. This is the ame for any website that you attempt to type in the web browser. It seems that there is no connection a all but the e-mail system still works, strangely.

Thats the first problem. The second one is, and I think they might e linked, is that I now have no sound at all, either from media player, or in game music or even that annoying 'welcome to AOL' and 'you have email' voice. When I investigated that b going to Start > System > 'Hardware' tab > Device Manager > then scroll down to 'Sound, video and ame controllers' one of the Devices entitled 'Mulimedia Audio Controller Properties' has a mall exclamation mark in a yellow box next to it. When I clicked on this it says 'The driver for this device are not installed, to reinstall this device, click Reinstall driver'. So thats what i did. Then it says that file 'a3d.dll' is needed. But when doing a search it appears that there are already a3d.dll fils on my PC, but lots of them.

Are these problems linked?

More importantly can anyone help me please because I just don't know what to do without completely reformatng the PC. :shrug:

Thanks

Kruiz

Once everything is backed up, you could try doing a Search for anything AOL or AOL related, and delete every last trace of it off your system. AOL is notorious for being hard to deleat and got ride of.

Once you've done that, restart and try again.

But only start messing with the program files once you've backed everything up, then if that doesn't work, re-formatting is a sure fix. :thumbs_up:

Tried doing a system restore to a before it happened

Tried that mate, didn't work.

I will try what you said Rikard, thanks.

After talking with my dad, he recons theres about 30 files in a folder called i386 that are corrupted :unsure:

Edited by Kruiz 136

For the sound problem maybe try clicking on the logo I have circled in the picture and change the settings around a bit, hope this helps....

I don't have that icon. :shrug:

U should :blink: Every Computer has :S click on the little arrow and it should show if not then make sure u have not ended it throught the processes.

I don't have that speaker icon :blink:

Go into Control panel, sound options.

Yours may look slightly different, but play around with the options and make sure nothing has been muted or turned down. :thumbs_up:

[attachmentid=14654]

If you still can't hear anything try a hearing aid! :rofl::scared15:

post-775-1175032991.jpg

I don't have that speaker icon :blink:

Go into Control panel, sound options.

Yours may look slightly different, but play around with the options and make sure nothing has been muted or turned down. :thumbs_up:

[attachmentid=14654]

to get it showin in the taskbar click on place volume icon in the taskbar :thumbup:

Edited by martwisely

Sorted now :rofl:

Seriously though, everything is turned up to full volume and have messed about with numerous things and all seems to be fine, but no sound. :shrug:

Edited by Kruiz 136

It might be a stupid suggestion but you have checked that your speakers are still plugged in haven't you???

lol, yeah they were plugged in :thumbs_up:

Sorted the problem with the sound now, it was a corrupt file a3d.dll that i managed to replace.

Howver, I still haven't really got any further with my connection problem, anyone got any idea's about that?

Thanks

Kruiz

I'm using my old PC, but its so rubbish I cant even play Nascar Heat on it. I have just found my usb transfer cable so I could now transfer the file, but when I click 'Download Now', It come up with an error message 'Internet Explorer could not doenload this file. The page that contains the info may be currently down' or something like that anyway lol. :unsure::shrug:

this may be a bad idea but y not try to re-format it...

it will delete apbsoloutely everything olff the computer then u can upload the bits that u want/need to play and do work etc etc.

i did that with my old dell and it runs faster now cos it got rid of all the junk i had...

try it but it may take a while

it will delete apbsoloutely everything olff the computer then u can upload the bits that u want/need to play and do work etc etc.

i did that with my old dell and it runs faster now cos it got rid of all the junk i had...

Thats what i'm going to do but I have so much stuff that I need to keep it will cost me fortune in disks etc. so just wondering if there was another easier (and cheaper :rolleyes: ) way. :thumbs_up:

Edit: Still can't seem to download it off filefront, any chance someone could post it up here or in a pm?

Thanks

Kruiz

Edited by Kruiz 136

Ive just sort of flicked through this thread, are you still having the problems with AOL connecting?

Not sure if this will work, but its worth a shot

go to your control panel, then add remove programmes, look in the list that appears for the AOL Installer thingy, click on Remove/Change, then there should be an option to 'Repair the Connoctivity Service' its a while from ive done this, so the exact locations may not be correct, it also depends on the version of AOL you run, but its worth a shot.

Ive just sort of flicked through this thread, are you still having the problems with AOL connecting?

Not sure if this will work, but its worth a shot

go to your control panel, then add remove programmes, look in the list that appears for the AOL Installer thingy, click on Remove/Change, then there should be an option to 'Repair the Connoctivity Service' its a while from ive done this, so the exact locations may not be correct, it also depends on the version of AOL you run, but its worth a shot.

Hi Sim,Yes I am still having problems with AOL connecting, but I've not though of that, I will give it a go a bit later when I swap the connection leads back over to the broke computer.

Thanks,

Kruiz

I did i zipped it up using winrar

It needs to be zipped using winzip I think for future reference. It doesn't really matter now, but thanks anyway.

I have fixed problem by formatting the Computer, as I had to race tonight in the team meetings and couldn't wait any longer.

Thanks to everyone who tried help. :thumbup:

Cheers

Kruiz :thumbs_up:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..