Virtual Memory!

MichaelG - 38

hello

I keep on getting this error message - 'windows is low on virtual memory...'

A few mins after that lots of error message appear, like 'explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows'. My whole computer locks up then causing me to usually switch the machine off manually mad.gif

Funny thing about this problem is, it always tends to happen just after i've been connected to the net for an hour and I have lots of Memory installed, hardly anything on my pc after my recent re-format.

I've tried: end it all, ad-aware, deleting all my internet files, norton anti-virus and other scan tests, but nothing sad.gif

Any advice guys?

wink.gif Hmm

you changed virtual mem in windows itself?

from ukdirt site...Double click "System" in your control panel, then "Performance", then "Virtual Memory". Then click "let me specify my own settings", and enter a minimum and maximum amount which is double the size of RAM in your computer. For example, if you have 64 MB of RAM, enter 128 for both the minimum and maximum size. Click OK and you'll then be asked to reboot.

and please download hijackthis...make a system scan and post the log here m8

i think some dodgy stuff is going on

huh.gif

042.gif hi

delete these...

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01

O2 - BHO: Search Relevancy - {1D7E3B41-23CE-469B-BE1B-A64B877923E1} - C:\PROGRA~1\SEARCH~1\SEARCH~2.DLL

O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.02.3000.1001\en-xu\stmain.dll

O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.3000.1001\en-us\msntb

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx

you might also want too try this

Check for updates in Adaware frequently as they sometimes can update daily.

I would check for updates in SpyBot once a week or so.

I scan with each at least weekly.

I also suggest that he delete any files from "temp", "tmp" folders. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" => "Internet Options" => "Delete Files" and select the box that says "Delete All Offline Content" and click on "OK" twice. Also, empty the recycle bin by right clicking on it and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin". These steps should be done on a regular basis.

After using Windows XP for some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer boot time noticeably. We recommend you delete all files in this folder about once a month.

To find the prefetch folder, enter this in the explorer address bar:

%windir%\prefetch

This should take you to either C:\WINDOWS\PREFETCH or C:\WINNT\PREFETCH. Delete all the files there

ive also c some other things marked as run? things i dont reconise...

please check them out

i think your pc needs a good wipe laugh.gif

thats great Yorick biggrin.gif

Im not getting that virtual memory error no more and the pc has actually speeded up! Atleast I don't hear that annoying loading sound all the time now! All nice and smooth biggrin.gif

Will also try what you said above tonight.

Thanks alot m8.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..