Wireless Troubles

MoR137

Hi

I've been experiencing some trouble setting up wireless on my downstairs computer. I hate networking anything as I always have problems, I think i've tried everything on this one so i wondered if anybody could help me please.

My network is setup as so:

- My broadband router/modem is a BT Home Hub

- My main pc (Upstairs) is connected to this by Ethernet (and USB, as its my main PC, and BT requires it to be setup like that)

- My sisters PC is connected via ethernet so she can share the internet, and have file and printer sharing.

- My laptop, which connects wirelessly and never had any problems, i'm using it right now!

Due to the homehub being just a cheap router, it only has two ethernet slots, so the downstairs pc needed a wireless PCI card, which I finally got this morning. I managed to install it all fine, and it seems to be working as it detects wireless connections fine, including my neighbours.

However, when I tried to connect to my network (after entering my encryption key etc), it said it was connected but with limited or no connectivity. I managed to track down the problem that it couldn't connect properly because it could not define an IP address for the Default Gateway. My responce to this was to input the Default Gateway (and DNS sever) addresses myself. Once i saved the settings, I was informed that I was connected to the network now, and that my signal strength was excellent etc. I checked the wireless connections and it now said 'connected' rather than 'limited or no connectivity'. However, when I fired up internet explorer, it said that there was no internet connection.

I really can't understand how the network can be connected fine, wireless connected fine, yet no internet being connected.

I've tried various things since:

- Using the BT disc to configure stuff for me, but this always gets stuck on finding the Default Gateway IP Address.

- Using network setup wizard and wireless network setup wizard.

- Turning the downstairs PC on and off.

- Re-entering settings, trying to let the IP address sort themseleves automatically etc.

- Reseting HomeHub

So i'm about out of ideas now? I'm pretty sure all hardware is working fine as its detecting networks fine, signal strength is great, so it can't be that the homehub is too far away. I'm really confused, so hoping someone could give me a hand please!

Cheers

MoR

Just to add to it, it isn't a firewall issue either. Ive had a good play with those aswell.

Have you set up internet explorer. Tools/internet options/connection

Hi Dino,

No it doesn't seem to be that, thanks for bringing it up anyway. I've tried firefox to no avail too! My virus checker can't update either so it looks like an internet connection isn't available at all :banghead2:

MoR

hi m8 i had same probs on LAN and wireless all i dun was go into network connection on pc that had no limted connecttivty and propertys and interbet proocol (tcp/ip) and clicked properties and set it manally like pic below

[attachmentid=18017]

if u have tryed this im sorry i went ova sumthing u have tryed but it sorted my prob out

TADS

post-609-1185894738.jpg

hi m8 i had same probs on LAN and wireless all i dun was go into network connection on pc that had no limted connecttivty and propertys and interbet proocol (tcp/ip) and clicked properties and set it manally like pic below

[attachmentid=18017]

if u have tryed this im sorry i went ova sumthing u have tryed but it sorted my prob out

TADS

Hi m8,

Yeh I did try that before but thanks for taking the time to reply anyway, much appreciated.

My next idea is to return the hub to its factory settings and start again (but i'm not going to mess until friday, as my semi final is tomorrow lol!). If that doesn't work the wireless cards going back to dabs and then they can send me a posh netgear router, cus BTs cheap piece of plastic is really annoying me now :banghead2:

Out of interest, does anybody here use a netgear router with BT instead of a home hub?

Cheers

MoR

Out of interest, does anybody here use a netgear router with BT instead of a home hub?

Cheers

MoR

Not with BT off course............LOL, but I did use a NETGEAR Router before.

Worked like a charme.

Easy to setup........more like plug & play.

Plug it in, start the putter and off u go............but that was the case here and u know how putters can behave.......LOL

Loads of possible problems. My BT router works fine..with main comp wired to it and 3 others all on wireless connections all working well. Did your ethernet card come with its own connection software or are you using the windows xp connection software. I found the windows one to be the most reliable.Get the connections sorted without encrytpion at first...then put encryption on when sorted. For the computer that didnt connect....did you access the internet on it before...using a modem or wired connection...as its old connection software if present may be causing problems. Also try repairing or re installing intenet explorer on the computer thats giving problems...and also check what version of windows you are using is compatible.

Lots of other things could be causing your problems ..these were just a few ideas to work from.

I too hate setting up networks, i9n the past I've had the same problems that you describe, but then without changing a thing it starts working until you switch the pc on the next day and it doesn't work again :banghead2:

I can't really add much more than what everyone has said above, except one unwritten rule I've read about alot is to use the same make of products for each component in the network, mixing makes can cause head-aches.

I'm with BT and happily use a Linksys Modem/router with Ethernet and wireless connections and a Modem built in and thankfully it's worked fine since day 1.

Does the BT hub have it's own settings that you can access through internet explorer?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..