Pintstriping!

Murph

Would someone be so kind as to tell me which tools to use in photoshop to do the pinstriping like border around each panel. Im guessing its either the pen or brush but there must be a technique?

Edited by Murph

Would someone be so kind as to tell me which tools to use in photoshop to do the pinstriping like border around each panel. Im guessing its either the pen or brush but there must be a technique?

First time I've done it on mine but I use the line tool, either 1 pixel wide or maybe 2 for the Rfactor F1s in my case. But make sure you bring the line/layer to the front, experiment with the line tool and see how it goes. :thumbs_up: Maybe there is a better way, not sure.

Thanks for quick reply Woka, ill give that a go. Just starting work on my next car. No deadline at the moment so ill try and make it all my own this time instead of stealing decals. Im hoping there will be another skin pack made at some point.

One tool i use a lot for pinstriping (this is in psp mind) is the pre-defined shape tool - if u start with the rectangle, you can select stroke (line) width and define size of radiuses of the corners and then draw your rectangle to the size of the panel minus a couple of pixels each way (so the shape is slightly smaller than the panel) - use the stroke colour for your pinstripe and either use your panel colour or deselect the fill colour so you're only drawing the pinstripe.

If you need to reshape after you've done the rectangle (to suit sloping edges), cut the section of pinstripe and then paste and reshape to suit.

It takes a little practice but i find it gives a better finish than trying to draw all of the lines and radiuses etc :thumbs_up:

good luck :042:

A method I found in photoshop that can save a bit of time is by playing with the inner glow settings for each panel (when layered).

[attachmentid=18293]

If you set the inner glow to something like the above screenshot it sould add the lines for you. It only follows the shape of the layer so if you want curved corners you may be best to follow wrighty's method.

post-40-1186747656.jpg

The way I do the pinstriping is like followed as it's all done more or less automatically, no need to draw them by hand.

- make sure you activate the layer from the panel you want to pinstripe (just click on it)

- select the magic wand tool;

- select the panel(s);

- now you'll have all the panels selected or just the one you want to use.

- then the top menu -> select

- now comes the tricky part as I have the Dutch version installed. In the menu there is a sub menu where you can shrink the selecting by a certain amount of pixels. Choose this option and normaly a setting from about 7 pixels will do. Though this depends on how the template is projected on the car (mapped).

- when the selection is shrunk, right click with the mouse and select -> outline

- Job done

Dragon

Thanks lads. :thumbup: I had a go before reading this by using the line tool and freehand for curves. Its a pretty good job.

Ive just tried Dragons way but CS3 seems slightly different. To shrink i found contract in >select but then I had probs. where do u right click to get outline option?

The only way I can get a line is to select "make working path" but this doesnt seem correct.

Maybe ill try wrightys technique next. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Thanks lads. :thumbup: I had a go before reading this by using the line tool and freehand for curves. Its a pretty good job.

Ive just tried Dragons way but CS3 seems slightly different. To shrink i found contract in >select but then I had probs. where do u right click to get outline option?

The only way I can get a line is to select "make working path" but this doesnt seem correct.

Maybe ill try wrightys technique next. :unsure:

I believe it is the 'Border' option ... From: Select > Modify > Border

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..