Steering Wheels

Fourwinds

So looking at a new steering wheel to replace my old Thrustmaster ... I have narrowed it down to 2:

Logitech MOMO Racing Force Wheel/pedals - 75GBP

or

Logitech G25 Racing Wheel, PlayStation 3 & 2 and PC (USB) - 145GBP

From looking at the differences (2 pedals to 3 pedals) , 900 degree steering .... Is the G25 worth the extra 70GBP ontop of the MOMO?

I mainly need it for rFactor Brisca F1 mod so gears / clutch are not really needed ... Wondering if that extra degrees of steering will be useful.

Let me know what your thoughts / experiences are of both if you have them please or have used them.

Edited by Fourwinds

i have a g25 and it is a good wheel but on some game it is hard to use and on rfactor i find it hard to use and using 900 degrees take quite a bit of time to get used to it as i found out lol as for the momo i dont have a clue never had 1 but have herd they are quite good steering wheels

Edited by gazmo

i have a g25 and it is a good wheel but on some game it is hard to use and on rfactor i find it hard to use and using 900 degrees take quite a bit of time to get used to it as i found out lol as for the momo i dont have a clue never had 1 but have herd they are quite good steering wheels

After getting used to the extra steering degrees ... did you find yourself better able to control the cars left/right as you had a more fine grained tuning ?

After getting used to the extra steering degrees ... did you find yourself better able to control the cars left/right as you had a more fine grained tuning ?

well yes and no lol, if u get the car perfect round the corners u are alright but as soon as the car starts snaking a bit most of the time you spin because of how many time u have to spin the wheel

what i would do is buy the cheaper of the 2 to start with just to get the feel of a 900 degree wheel just incase u dont acctually like that amount of degree and if u dont u may have saved your self £70 by taking the cheaper option

Cheers Gaz

well yes and no lol, if u get the car perfect round the corners u are alright but as soon as the car starts snaking a bit most of the time you spin because of how many time u have to spin the wheel

what i would do is buy the cheaper of the 2 to start with just to get the feel of a 900 degree wheel just incase u dont acctually like that amount of degree and if u dont u may have saved your self £70 by taking the cheaper option

Cheers Gaz

I do not think the normal MOMO has the 900 degree steering ... I think it is only available on the G25 ...

Guest Scrapman53

You don't have to set the wheel to 900 degrees steering. I think you can start from 180 and then 240 270 360 and so on. I personally prefer 270 degrees in a wheel.

You don't need a clutch pedal for f1s, but you may want to use it for other mods later on. EG. f1 1979 mod or some of the older saloon car racing mods. Just whatever you prefer with those mods I suppose.

Guest Scrapman53

There's only 3 wheels I would choose from if I was to buy one. 2 of them aren't made anymore, so would have to be bought 2nd hand (Ebay). Those are Microsoft Sidewinder FFB (USB) or the Logitech Driving Force Pro (the official GT3 wheel for the PS2 (it's USB and works on the PC). They can be found pretty cheap on Ebay now.

The Logitech G25 can be bought new and is a bit more expensive, but if I was a first time wheel buyer, I'd buy one of the other 2 first, and if you decide you like using a wheel, then you could upgrade to a G25 later.

imo logitech wheels are the best u can buy as they come with guarantees and warantees etc. (most other wheels probably do)

on the g25 u can set the steering degrees so the 900 is probably the closes u get to a real car and the minimum is more like a modern formula one car

one more thing.... make sure it has force feedback or its like driving withouths ure sense of touch but with force feedback it will feel the bumps etc and make it a more enjoyable gaming experience

Edited by Lee

Couple of extra points. The MOMO and the DFP are known to have dodgy pedals. After a period of time they get spikes and dont always use there full range.

The G25 has a sprung brake pedal like a real car the other sets have not.

I have not tried one but I have read reports of people getting cramp with the G25 as the wheel in thinner so if you have big hands it may be something to think about.

I think the general consensus in sim land is that the G25 is worth the money but I cannot reccomend it as I use a MOMO with BRD pedals.

Edited by drumbstick

What are the brd like drumbstick,I run my red momo with microsoft pedals which are better than logitech,but I've now run out of the uprated springs that break every couple of months and lost the address of the german guy that was making them.

What are the brd like drumbstick,I run my red momo with microsoft pedals which are better than logitech,but I've now run out of the uprated springs that break every couple of months and lost the address of the german guy that was making them.

I think they are awesome. I have the three pedal version (Info here) however you do need to buy the tuning kit as well to get the pedal pressures correct

Guest Scrapman53

I'm from the shool that thinks FFB sucks, lol.

I find it more of a gimmick than anything, and can be very off putting at times.

Even though I've had a FFB wheel in the past, I always turn it off in the game options. I feel what the car's doing through what I see on screen and hear through my speakers and have no problems telling the difference between oversteer/understeer, brakes locking up, hitting rumble strips etc.

By all means, buy a wheel with FFB. But if you think it puts you off, try turning it off in game and see how it goes. :thumbs_up:

Just my opinion, and may help some people.

I find it more of a gimmick than anything, and can be very off putting at times.

Even though I've had a FFB wheel in the past, I always turn it off in the game options. I feel what the car's doing through what I see on screen and hear through my speakers and have no problems telling the difference between oversteer/understeer, brakes locking up, hitting rumble strips etc.

By all means, buy a wheel with FFB. But if you think it puts you off, try turning it off in game and see how it goes. :thumbs_up:

thats just your old age scrapppy, ye cannae feel nowt through them big fingers of yours :o

i can't drive unless i can feel whats hapening through the wheel, you can feel how the cars reacting to bends etc, FFB rules .......................

thats just your old age scrapppy, ye cannae feel nowt through them big fingers of yours :o

i can't drive unless i can feel whats hapening through the wheel, you can feel how the cars reacting to bends etc, FFB rules .......................

Real feel makes a huge difference to how the FFB feels in RF

After reading all the comments on here and other places I finally got myself the G25 today ... Now I just have to get it setup properly ... Any profiles out there for rFactor or any ideas on how strong I should put the force feedback etc?

thanks for everyone who put comments in ...

After reading all the comments on here and other places I finally got myself the G25 today ... Now I just have to get it setup properly ... Any profiles out there for rFactor or any ideas on how strong I should put the force feedback etc?

thanks for everyone who put comments in ...

Found on another Forum that there is a 'return to center' error in the default G25 setup that you should change to make the wheel a lot better in all the settings apart from 'Low' ... The line is in : rFactor/UserData/Controller/LogitechG25.ini and you should change:

FFB steer damper coefficient="0.17500" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0

to

FFB steer damper coefficient="-0.17500" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0

:2: Fourwinds

I set the feedback to low as med and high seemed a bit strange so tried this now :thumbup:

James

I use full on the feedback but then turn down the strength from -100% to -75% so that I am fighting the steering wheel a little but I also can tell when the wheel is going the right way ... It tends to pull into the banked corners on Birmingham and want to opposite lock on the shale tracks a little .. which tends to help me actually get around the corners and not just spin around.

Guest Scrapman53

Thats what I mean about FFB not being true and just a gimmick.

If you got a real car sideways and let go the wheel, do you think it would steer into the skid for you?

If you got a real car sideways and let go the wheel, do you think it would steer into the skid for you?

The car wheels will try to take the path of least resistance ... this is what the FFB does, it does perhaps over exaggerate the re-alignment of the wheels ....

If you use real feel it does not

How do you set 'real feel' on the wheel / rFactor ?

dunno abpout the g25, but i can't let go of that old sidewinder ive got or it be backwards into the fence

i have to say the feel from mine is pretty realistic, the only prob i get is the ffb sometimes goes weak and only a return to the pits returns the full ffb

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..