Set up thread

Mr Beef

Having read in the collision topic a piece by The Green Genie, I would like to start a new topic on setting up F1,s for rfactor. I like him often rely on setups from other drivers, but would like to know how to do my own.

As I am not really technicallly minded it would help greatly if the more experienced and knowledgeable people out there could post some instructions in laymans terms.

I often see articles saying adjust this to make car tighter or looser but havn't a clue what tighter or looser means.

I am not 100% sure what understeer and oversteer is, it is my understanding that understeer means you hit fence, and oversteer the rear end overtakes the front, forgive me if I'm wrong :rofl:

Another one wedge -14 to +14 :shrug: What does this affect.

Gear ratios, all I do is use the default and set the final gear so rev counter is just hitting the red line before corner is this right.

Springs, I have used setups where the LR spring is lower than the RR spring and also for the same track LR higher than the RR. Should the front springs be higer than the rear springs?

What effct do the tyre preasures have and which should be low and which should be high.

And I havn't a clue what bump and rebound do.

Like I have already said it would be very helpful if some of you in the know could post some help but please do it in easy to understand terms for those of us who are not in the know.

This mod is a dream for the average stockcar fan like myself who could never be in a position to race the real thing, but it does get very frustrating at times to watch the good drivers gliding round the track when im fighting my wheel to keep in a straight line and trying not to spin out. :rofl:

:2:

Steve

Guest Scrapman53

The best way to find out what something does to your setup is to adjust it all the way to the left first, have a go, then adjust it all the way to the right and see what difference it makes. That's how I learned myself in Heat. The same principles work in rFactor.

The best way to find out what something does to your setup is to adjust it all the way to the left first, have a go, then adjust it all the way to the right and see what difference it makes. That's how I learned myself in Heat. The same principles work in rFactor.

i see what you mean scrapman, but i think it would be nice to be able to know what that something actually does, not just if it makes you get faster times round the track lol. i think most members would appreciate that drumbstick but obviously appreciate that it will take sometime, especially when you have to word it so that we lesser technical minded people can understand.

I could be totally wrong, as b4 my time, but when ukdirt went from DTRSC (?) to Nascar heat as the base game, didn't the winners from the meeting final have to post there final winning setup onto the old forum so that everyone could download it to use?

Seemingly in the cross over period from heat to rfactor could it be considered again.

Perhaps just for the 1st few weeks of the winter series which is currently going on and then stopped when the full season kicks in or when a new track is released and raced on for the 1st time-at least that way everyone will have a setup to use for that new season.

Guest Scrapman53

Reb used to post "A" setup after a meeting when we used DTRSC, but I don't know if it was the ones he used to win the finals, lol.

If everyone had the same setup, it would be a bit like follow the leader. Spend the time learning the setups like the fast guys do. Why should they spend time tweaking and then just handing them out?

i do not race rfactor but have been keeping a close eye on it since the news of the mod being made came into place....

i like that idea scrapman but maybe get say 2 or 3 setups from each track and compile it into one setup folder which can overwrite the default one u are given??? (just an idea, but dont know how easy it would be)

another thing is maybe a middle setup that is posted for every track rather like the banger style one that i think nickm made.. with it being like half done and maybe for each individual track a notepad document explaining what needs doing to what (what makes the car go better and why) would also be a great help to novices....

im sorry but i can not help you with this but by the sounds of it my parents are going to get my computer this christmas as they are asking be about it more gradually :king:

but when the time comes of me helping i will do my best for all levels in skill (will most likely need help myself at first but will give it my best shot)...

Look forward to meeting you on the track in the near future....

Lee :thumbs_up:

Edited by Lee

Reb used to post "A" setup after a meeting when we used DTRSC, but I don't know if it was the ones he used to win the finals, lol.

If everyone had the same setup, it would be a bit like follow the leader. Spend the time learning the setups like the fast guys do. Why should they spend time tweaking and then just handing them out?

This is the point of the thread ...

We don't really want just a handed out 'perfect' setup as everyone drives differently ... I have setups for one track from both Hutch and Drumb that are completely different in terms of how the car is setup but they both perform similar lap times around that circuit.

Understanding more about why / how you would change a car to set it up at a track you have never been to is important ... How far the back end of the car steps out when you go around the corner is a personal choice and affects the speed of the car ... but if you don't know how to change the setup of the car to get that backend either further out or closer in you are at the mercy of begging a setup for every new track you go to and hoping it is for a similar driving style to yours.

But i thought rfactor was about "driver ability" and not much to do with setups at all?

I'm in agreement with the setups issue as its very rare for me to dish my F2 setups out after i spend 2 hours on a friday night and 4 hours on a Sunday night in jolt tweaking mine for the Monday nights meeting........ BUT that why i suggest an initial setup to be posted after each meeting for a few weeks only just so that everyone can start on a relative par WITHOUT spinning round every other corner.

I'm not suggesting that it goes on all season long.

Edited by kendo912

Thanks for replys so far.

Scrapman I am not after setups, what I would like to know is what does what, but termed in a way that I can understand because as I said in my original post I am not technically minded and terms like loose and tight mean nothing to me.

Fourwinds you are correct we not so good drivers cant necessary use a good drivers setup because it is set to their type of driving and maybe no good for ours.

Kendo, having seen you race F2's (you lap me 3 times every race :rofl: ) and reading your post regarding spending time setting up for F2 meet, at least you know what every tweak should produce to suit your driving style albeit I am not sure if setting up in heat relates to rfactor though.

I look forward to Drumbs guide.

:2:

Roughly translated,

Loose - Oversteer - Back spins around on you

Tight - Understeer - Front pushes on towards wall

Dispite I myself having no idea what certain aspects of the garage do: Track bars, caster, harder and softer springs, etc

I still wouldn't want to take the best drivers setups and I wouldnt be happy about having to post my own for others to use just becuse I had spent more time preparing than others. I spent less than 30 minutes on a set-up from scratch last night fir Drumbstick's league, and I ended up winning my heats, then I was contraversially upgraded to yellow for the final and I was 2nd only to Hutch and that was using a ps2 controller (who says you need a wheel?? :rofl: ). So I would say that set-ups aren't overly important, more how you drive it IMO.

I do however, think there should be some sort of guide to specify the effects of each component of the garage.

Also, my dad was having a play on it earlier (becuase I wanted help setting up lol) and asks why you couldn't adjust stagger? He used to adjust it for different tracks when he raced real life, do drivers not adjust it anymore?

Cheers

Kruiz

I have just "finished" my setup for Sexbierum using the method Scrapman was talking about and I managed to take my lap times down from anything between 16 and 17 seconds to consistent 14.3/4s with the occassional .2. This only took me 167 laps and alot of tweaking and tbh I'm not even sure if those times are very good lol! But I did enjoy doing it and now I'm off to make one for Belle Vue :blink:

I found a couple of vids on V8 Supercars and their chassis adjustments, It's not specific to Stockcars, however a few more things might make more sense to newcomers if they watch it.

Aussie V8 Chassis Adjustment Part 1

Aussie V8 Chassis Adjustment Part 2

Also when I used to race Radio Controlled 1/10 Rally & Touring Cars a few years back I found some very good tips in various manuals and web on chassis setup, so if you search for this it will probably give you a surprisingly good guide to setup. (ok the spring rates may be slightly different lol)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..