Freecom 500gb HDD

Dazza290

Hello all,

My girlfriend bought me a 500gb Freecom external Hdd for Chirstmas and I would like to purely store video's onto it (A direct transfer from my pc to the HDD). However, the videos will transfer ok onto it but when I go to watch them from the hard drive they are all jumpy and not really watchable. The plan is to copy over all my video files onto this external one so it will free up some space on my computer (and then add more from my Vid cam to the external disk when I get chance, but I dont really want to risk losing them if they are njot playing properly.

The hdd has been formatted and I've tried using the NTI shadow software which came with the disc for transfering it onto there.

Any idea!

Dazza

Not familiar with external hard drives but it might be worth transferring one of the video files back to the main hard drive and see if it's still jumpy then. If it's ok then at least you know the video files are being saved ok. If that's the case then it seems it might be a speed issue perhaps? Not being able to transfer the info quick enough from the external hard drive to the video viewing software on the main hard drive perhaps.

Have you checked that you have the current drivers for it and is it a usb 2 connection that is normally faster than normal usb.

Cheers Woka and F2. That may be the problem as just read on the box USB2 connection and I think all mine are just USB's so I take it thats the problem, if so, can I do anythign to fix it?

Dazza

Assuming it is not a laptop one of these

I do have a laptop which runs an external drive very slowly if the drive is already plugged in when the computer is turned on,but runs fine if the drive is plugged in after windows has started.

Edited by Dino

hi

I just got one of they firewire cards (sorry if thats the wrong name) for my video camara and was wondering if i would need to put that into my pc to get videos off my video camara or can I just use the usb cable to get the video off my video camara :shrug:

any help would be great :thumbs_up:

cheers

ryan

If you have usb ports on front and back, it maybe that some are 2.0 and some are 1.1.

Assuming you are using windows xp, if you have all the latest updates then one of the updates searches your PC for usb ports and offers a driver update if they are 2.0 compatible.

Worth a try using a different usb port and/or searching for a driver update.

Take a look here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...02august05.mspx

Walker you have a mini dv camera so you need to use the firewire card that I sent you, I thought I could use USB but you wont get the video off it that way, if you do manage to get the clips off using USB and you don't need the firewire card send it back and I will sell it.

just wondering do I need to put this firewire card for the video camara in my pc to get videos off my video camara and if I do,how do I do it ,sorry am not really good with this sort of stuff :scared15: .

plus not had time to have a play around or that lately been really busy.

any help would be great.

cheers

ryan

Edited by walker

Guest Scrapman53

Firewire is a lot faster than USB for taking videos off your camcorder to your PC. So if you have a lead to use the firewire card, then I think I'd be using that rather than USB.

Firewire is a lot faster than USB for taking videos off your camcorder to your PC. So if you have a lead to use the firewire card, then I think I'd be using that rather than USB.

He has the card, the lead and the software that goes with it.

Walker its just a case of take the side off your case, and insert it into an empty slot and away you go, install the video editing software connect cable to card and camera and your off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..