f1 racing changes at coventry?

kendo912

Not sure if anyone can answer this but i was wondering if anyone knew what the schedule of races will be like at coventry in april 2005 as in my last programme it states that there will be unlimited f1's only with no support.

I was wondering if they might hold more heats or even do a design similar to that of the british championship rather than just the usual 3 heats, consolation, final and gn.

If it is only going to be this i would prefer to see some f2's as well or some other support race as per normal!

shrug.gif

Not totally sure about this but if the meeting is just unlimited amounts of F1's, I imagine if they were to get 80 or more cars booking in then you would probably get 8 races. 4 Heats, 2 Consolations, Final and Grand National (would actually be nice to see two sensible 32-car GN's instead of trying to cram 38 cars onto a track and still have people locked out of the gate......).

Whilst on the subject of this, dunno if it's only me who thinks this, but maybe the time has come for BriSCA F1 to change its points structure in relation to how many drivers are racing at a meeting? For example- a driver can go to Coventry where he is competing against maybe 60-65 others, yet if he wins the Final or generally has a good night, he is only getting the same points as someone who goes to a 20-24 car meeting and gets the same results. Anyone think this is unfair? I do. One argument could be that if you reduce the amount of points on offer at lower turnout meetings, you may risk losing more cars from those meetings...but could you reduce that risk by keeping prize money just the same as it is now?

These thoughts came into my mind a good few times through 2004 with the vast difference between a meeting like Coventry or a big turnout NIR meeting, compared to somewhere like Buxton or Wimbledon. Is it time for change? Would be interested to know people's views on this....BSCDA chairman Stu Milnes seems to think the World Qualifying series needs changing but I think perhaps he needs to look a bit more at their week-to-week format as well.

Thx,

Corny

I dont think that would work at all tbh!youve still got to work for the win at the end of the day and so everyone should be rewarded the same!

Also even on lower turnout meetings you still have what between 25 - 30 cars on track so whats the difference as theres only that many on track at cov in a race.

good ideas corny

I think what would be good with regards to your idea of more points 4 a bigger turnout would be to give points according to how many blues, reds and superstars are in attendance as well-not sure how it wouldaffect anything but certainly if the likes of wainman jr (2005 world champ!!!!) is competing against (no disrepect) only 1 or 2 other reds and superstars and a few blues then he should score much less points than when a final's line up includes lundy, andy and stu smith, paul harrison, gary castell etc etc.

I would also like to see more heats at f1 races with bugger turnouts such as cov or nir - think it would be good 4 all racers 2 get 2 heats minimum like in some other venues that dont get the turnout.

wainman jr (2005 world champ!!!!).

1761[/snapback]

Good Call appl.gif

I'm not sure about your idea's tbh Corny. My thoughts are, that if u can be bothered to turn up for a meeting, get your car prepared and go out and race your socks off, you should get all the points that are usually available. If Andy/Stu Smith or John Lund can't be bothered to, then it's thier loss.

I usually try and say the same when people say "Carlos Perez has only kept his superstar because he's raced all the meetings". Too right he should be superstar when if he travels all over the country just for the sport.....

Just my views, some very interesting points raised there Corny

Cheers MoR

I aint really bothered about the format of the meeting as long as I see some good close full contact racing. I want to see wainman jr put in the wall at any oppertunity rather than trying to go round him when he just puts you in instead. 305 4 gold 2004:king:

cheers

sparky

I aint really bothered about the format of the meeting as long as I see some good close full contact racing. I want to see wainman jr put in the wall at any oppertunity rather than trying to go round him when he just puts you in instead. 305 4 gold 2004:king:

cheers

sparky

I aint really bothered about the format of the meeting as long as I see some good close full contact racing. I want to see wainman jr put in the wall at any oppertunity rather than trying to go round him when he just puts you in instead. 305 4 gold 2005 king.gifthumbup.gif

cheers

sparky

Edited by Sparky961

rather than trying to go round him when he just puts you in instead.

1854[/snapback]

Thats Stock Car Racing rolleyes.gif

Mind you, wud be nice to see Carlos get some good results next year...... get that shale car sorted would be a good start. Don't know though, I can't see him winning Gold, maybe if he sticks with it for a few more years then yeah. Mind you, people can pull some surprises out the hat, Peter Faldings surprised me two years in a row, Ed Neachell was very close to it, and people like Murray Harrison and Keith Chambers were all never really tipped to win it.

Cheers MoR

Thats Stock Car Racing 

Mind you, wud be nice to see Carlos get some good results next year...... get that shale car sorted would be a good start. Don't know though, I can't see him winning Gold, maybe if he sticks with it for a few more years then yeah. Mind you, people can pull some surprises out the hat, Peter Faldings surprised me two years in a row, Ed Neachell was very close to it, and people like Murray Harrison and Keith Chambers were all never really tipped to win it.

Cheers MoR

Firstly i believe carlos has 2 brand new cars for next year anyone going to huddersfield show will tell you that and if the shale car is as good as his tar car then a world chapionship isnt out of question after all it is on tar this year and i feel if frankie is on pole he will recieve a hefty whack first corner as he is so quick on tar.

I would guess the full format for Coventry has yet to be finalised, in the past when they have had unlimited bookings for the F1's they have left the format as 3 heats and either 1 or 2 Consolations dependant upon the numbers and then the now traditional scramble for the 1 Grand National.

I don't mind the format as it was in 2004 and the past few years, they just need to work on the turn around time between races and make sure that the spectators are not watching an empty track as they have been known to do, which would be helped by bringing back the going onto the track via the bottom of the turn 1/2 terracing and off the track through the pits. The only alternative format I could see them using would be the old Grand Prix format of 4 heats with the drivers competiting in two of them and no Consolation(s) being run.

Interesting idea's Corny, but I am with Simon on this, even at a low turnout you still have to beat around 30 cars in the Final and can actually race against more cars in the heats than you would at Coventry. It is not the driver's fault that others decided to home, or could not attend.

Never mind who is going to win the World Final in 2005, they have all got to get in it first. I was tipping Lundy to win in 2004 after his sparkling early season form at Coventry, but he couldn't even get in it despite having the opportunity 3 times to do so.

If Andy/Stu Smith or John Lund can't be bothered to, then it's thier loss.

1845[/snapback]

I think the fact that all 3 members have considerable interest in other business activities outside of StockCars, particularly Lund who runs his large farm, might be more to do with them making less appearances rather than them 'not being bothered'........ FWJ is described as a professional 'oval race technician' so surely it is in his best interests to be present at each meeting, both for the racing and perhaps more so for the technical work, picking up drivers' damaged cars to take away and repair, selling parts etc?

Yes #515 is a great driver that is not in any doubt- but to try and belittle the efforts of his main competitors when their postitions are vastly different to his, well it is a little ill-considered and naive to be honest I think. To me, Stu Smith Jnr's efforts have been highly commendable through 2004, he has come on leaps and bounds and been really impressive using just the one car on both surfaces. I for one think the upward curve of progress for him will continue into and through 2005. As for Andy well I think he was very much feeding his way back into F1 this year after a year out, the car seems to have taken a lot of sorting out and it was terrible to see him drop out of the World Final before it had even started.

2005WF looks like being an interesting one, all I can envisage when I think about how it might go is one almighty pile-up in the first bend!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..