Results and Points Skegness

Mike

Ok, if not adjust the current tarmac car physics, how about this...

I just had a play on the tarmac tracks with my shale car, and although not perfect (obviously) I would say that actually, it is an improvement on the tarmac cars physics. Although it is possible to drive with the back end out still its not necessarily faster, and more often than not, if you do, your exit line is compromised as they seem to be looser on exit with less grip. Not only that, but most tracks the lap times are slowed by half a second or so, which is still a second too fast but its a start. If anything was to be tested, I'd be enthusiastic to see a meeting where shale cars were raced on tarmac instead of the tyre wear upped.

I must confess I have never tried a shale car on tarmac or visa versa. My immediate issue with this is that you lose some of the realism by racing one car all of the time, and like you said above, it is still possible to be fast by having the back end out.

Just to refer to the physics for a minute. I don’t think that they were wrong when they first came out. I think that they were very good at the time of release, however as things have developed and people have got quicker, the style of driving has changed and thus people are carrying the backend out on entry to the corner and through the middle of the corner. I think the exit of the corner is perfect, as if you give it too much gas then you spin around.

So basically, what can we do with what we have on tarmac?

Now this is where I perhaps need to be a little clearer on my thought process. I don’t think we can stop people driving with the backend out. It is the quickest way and we can’t stop that based on what we have.

What we can do however is punish them for doing this, just as they would be if they drove like this in real life. I then think that if people can see that this is a disadvantage, then they will then start to think, hold on a minute, this style of driving, whilst quick for the first few laps of a race, is poor later on in the race, so I need to change my style, which will mean driving the car in a neater fashion, which in turn will make contact better, which in turn should then improve the racing.

I think part of the problem with Thursday was that no one changed their set up, and continued with the set up that they used last year. If the tyre wear was to be changed, then people would think about changing their set ups. Because we are only in the trial stage, people are not changing their setups and stating that it doesn’t work. Well if you drive with the backend out, then you will be punished come the second half of the race.

That said, I can see what Dazza is suggesting above with the way people use other drivers as a brake rather than racing with each other to get up the field quicker.

The important thing is to try and test as much as we can, but at the same token we as an Admin Team don’t want to change it at the last minute, and thus leave you guys with no chance to experiment. We have not made a decision yet at all, and it could well be a case of nothing changes and we go on as we are. Once we have done all the testing, we will then discuss it and announce it very early in the new year.

I am going to bump the practice thread now in the hope of catching a few people tonight for a bit more testing.

From the meeting at skegness on thursday I think x2 was good and I felt on the pace and keeping up with the rest of the reds for a change and never changed my set up either - Plus I like the fact you need to look after your tyres just like drivers do in real life be it at the start of a race or near the end of a race.

X2 has been good so far in my opinion but I guess it just depends how folk like to drive in races.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..