PREVIEW: British Drivers Championship

Johno3

post-37810-1306783855.png

The Contenders

I think it is fair to say that the British Drivers Championship inspires all drivers. The format generally means that in order to take the title, you need to be the best on the night, as is reflected in the role of honour for this particular championship. The question is, with the way this season has gone so far, who is most likely to take the title?

post-189-1306948754.jpg

Tom will be looking to add the British title to his growing list of titles.

For many people, the favourite will undoubtedly be the current World and National Series Champion Tom D (1). Tom has once again raised his game this year in terms of consistency which has led to him having a superb meeting average of just over 40. You then think back to the four final victories in just 15 meetings and you would be forgiven for thinking that it is a foregone conclusion. But you would be wrong, as there are many drivers from all grades that are more than capable of taking the title.

post-189-1306948829.jpg
MoR recently won the UK Open Championship at Coventry. A contender for the title this Thursday.

In fact, just last month, MoR (137) became the first person to successfully defend the UK Open Championship after a fine win at Coventry. This was all the more impressive given that MoR was defending, on shale, the title which twelve months previous he had won on the tarmac of Skegness. Proof then, if any was needed, that MoR is more than capable on the loose stuff of winning big races and he would dearly love to add to his UK Open titles. It is unknown at this stage whether or not he will take to the track as he is currently having computer issues.

Dode (151) is another superstar who is having a fine season. Although he has struggled a little bit more from the back of the pack, he is still successfully picking up results, and should he get a decent starting position on the grid, then he could be one to watch. As could fellow superstar Grasser (233). Grasser has only raced three times this season but his two shale meetings have produced very good results. He is a welcome addition to the grid and more than capable of beating any driver in the league on his day.

post-189-1306948929.jpg

Corny and LeeK are two of the bigger names looking to win the black and white chequed roof.

Moving further back down the grid, there are a few red tops who will really fancy their chances of a good result in the big race. Corny (391) is having his best season in rfactor to date. Having always demonstrated good pace, Corny seems better able to deal with cars in traffic now, and thus his results have improved. Johno (3), LeeK (39) and Tosh (8) are three drivers who have had mixed seasons to date. Each of these drivers can more than hold their own with any other driver in the league, but they generally struggle with consistency for one reason or another. Should any of these drivers get near the sharp end of the grid, they too could challenge the biggest names in the sport for the second biggest title of the year. Just looking down the current booking list and there are other drivers from the red grade that will be looking to have a run for the title. Daveyboy (380) and LiamB (90) are currently booked in to race and both are more than capable of getting some good results which will get them near in the front of the grid for the big race.

Whilst this particular title has been generally won by a star name, a blue grade driver has picked up the title before (Aub in 2008). This is perhaps where the title could end up again, as DanSkin (236) would be one driver who would be at the top of the current form table. The reason why Dan should be classed as better than a wildcard is that he is now demonstrating the pace that can see him compete with or even out drive the star names in the league. When you couple this with a good starting position for his qualifying races, he will expect to be up the sharp end of the grid which will give him a great chance of taking the British.

post-189-1306949015.jpg

Southy and Matty have already won many races this year. Could they win the title from blue?

Other drivers in the blue grade include the likes of Southy (277), Spike (221) and Matty (300). In the case of Southy and Matty, they are probably more at home on the shale and have shown good form this year to progress up he ranks in the league. Spike in a veteran campaigner now and has once again started to show an up turn in form. From a veteran to a new comer, Green (115) has shown he also has the ability to produce some good results, and should he be anywhere near the front of the grid, he could also cause a surprise.

post-189-1306949086.jpg

Mav recently returned to the UK Dirt F1 fold. He would dearly love to qualify for this week's big race.

With more whites and yellows on the grid than previous weeks, there is also the possibility for one of these drivers to get themselves up the near the front of the grid for the big race. Cobbers (155) has been a real sensation in recent weeks, picking up a handful of race victories, and although he will start the meeting at yellow, he could well be one to watch. When you then add veteran campaigners such as Mav (525) and Big Al (515) to the young blood of BullyJNR (84) and Spike JNR (172), there is a good possibility that one of these drivers could really put the cat amongst the pigeons in the big race.

Don’t forget, this has been written more than 24 hours before the big event. There's still some big names that could book in and race. Looking down the National Points list, the likes of Aub (188), Matthew (413) and Drumbstick (41) are drivers that could book in and command low odds due to their talent and ability. Hooty (256) was last week’s steward during the Birmingham meeting no doubt watching over possible rivals. Perhaps someone like Skeet (31) is going to book in at the last minute to try and frighten the opposition. Either way, the booking list is incomplete and thus I may not have even written about the future champion.

post-189-1306949304.jpg

Will Dazza be there to defend the title he won so well at Skegness last year?

There is one person I have not written about yet though. There is the small matter of the current British Champion, Dazza (290). Nobody knows whether or not he will be racing tomorrow, but he has been casting his eyes over the forum over the last few days. The 2009 World Champion knows his way around King's Lynn, having won that crown around this very track with a commanding drive. He has only raced once so far in 2011, but he demonstrated in that short time that he has lost none of his huge talent, and should he decide to try and defend his title, then he will go straight to the top of the tree with Tom D as one of the drivers to beat.

I hope you have enjoyed this short preview into the second biggest title of the season. When I initially started to write this, I thought it would be hard trying to convince people that the outcome is not 100% guaranteed, but I am now at a total loss as to who will win the big event. What do you guys think? Is it a cut and dried Tom D win, or will someone else step up to the plate? Why not share your thoughts with us all?

Edit: Updated post with graphic Edited by Johno3

we have that day some Dirt Track racing at Blauwhuis. I come late, or not.

Its up to you Harmen. I cant promise that you will get 5 heats or have all late heats but your more than welcome to come and join when you get home if you wish.

Do you know roughly what time you be back?

Johno

we have that day some Dirt Track racing at Blauwhuis. I come late, or not.

Its up to you Harmen. I cant promise that you will get 5 heats or have all late heats but your more than welcome to come and join when you get home if you wish.

Do you know roughly what time you be back?

Johno

I think I'm home around quarter to 10, depends on how many damage is on the car

Depending on the bookings of course, I wouldnt expect you to get many heats Harmen. I would expect by that time to be onto the latter heats.

I will leave it with you, but I wont be able to promise anything of course.

Cheers

Johno

A slightly more in depth preview has been added to the first post guys.

As I have suggested that we stick our necks out on the line and pick a winner, I am going to choose Corny. I think he is ready to add to his British Championships won in heat.

Cheers

Johno

Not only would I like to see DanSkin win it but as you said in the preview, he should have a fantastic chance especially given the way he's been performing in recent weeks. I would expect grid positions in the Final to be more critical towards chances of success than they were two years ago in the Coventry British, or even the WF there last year for that matter - with the King's Lynn bends being quite a bit quicker I would expect there being a much higher potential for someone to really lead the way from the front.

Of course on a personal note I'd not be complaining if my Tri-annual winning pattern were to be maintained (2005, 2008 in Heat...)! Mainly hoping for a really good night's racing and for the Final to be worthy of its stature and something that can be looked back on favourably in years to come.

With 22 currently booked in and no doubt more to come, I will be delighted if I make the back row of the grid (trust me I'll be trying)! As for the winner, I've not seen enough of you guys racing (especially not on shale) to make any kind of judgement, but there are alot of fast drivers in it to win it and I don't think anyone will let anyone else score an easy runaway victory. Roll on Thursday!

Well Dazza has just made it interesting... I am personally betting on a TomD or MoR win. Both seem to be able to step it up in the bigger races. I am sure that who ever wins it tonight will deserver it.

I will be counting myself out as i struggle with the shale since moving to the smith chassis this year..just can't seem to get consistant laptimes and struggle for grip..a change of shale chassis might be a good call. Does anyone find they can drive different chassis's better than others?

Edited by southy277

my money is on dode if he can keep his cool as i think he is one that could sneak through un noticed.

I.m only getting 15.3's so will probs book out if i cant get any better as i dont wanna be the white grade that messes it up for someone else on the night cause i was too slow and not used to the f1s especially at a big meeting such as this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..