Oldest swinger in town?

BigAndyW

Ok, just for a bit of a laugh, and after the F2 chat the other night, let's see who's the oldest racing on here. I have no shame saying I'm 47 y.o., and happy to remember the heady days of going to now extinct tracks of Newton Aycliffe (thanks to free lifts from friend's grandad as I was a very poor student at college) and Hartlepool (lived there, climbed onto museum wall opposite turn 1 to see my first race) in the 80s.

I can remember the original Smith/Wainman battles with John Toulson calmly (well occasionally) plodding on behind. I followed/helped a young lad just starting in F2 called Neil Anderson 791 at the time, and looking at some of the historic F1 and F2 sites online brings back many happy memories of the racing. Now thinking of introducing my 6yo son to F2s at Barford as that is the closest (and let's face it only track in the North East), but money is still tight as I am a carer for my wife.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Am I the oldest here?

Big Andy

Before the demise of Heat, we had a couple of racers in their early 50's but since moving to rFactor, it has become a young mans sport!!!

Heat enables the "plug 'n' play" whereby it was simple to turn up and race, but now its more technical and the "older" generation just cannot cope!!!

I would guess that I am probably one of, if not the oldest drivers here (before your arrival) having been here for 10 years and was advanced in years when I started!! I shall be 43 in August.

But my lad is probably the youngest here, he turned 13 in April.

As for real life F1's, I have been going since I was born, and seen alot of things in my time, hence why I started my F1 Website, with the help of another ex.UK Dirter Kev149.

Its good to have another "Oldie" in the ranks, but beware you can't tell these young guns anything when it comes to racing these machines!!!!

Good Luck and hope you still racing when you celebrate your 50th!!!! :thumbup:

Edited by Mav

• 2 months later...

really does depend when your 48.... think mav a i joined ukdirt about same time, 10 years or have i done 11 getting old i really can't remember now, real life started for me in the mid 70's watching supers and the likes around a post and rope foxhall, never missed a meeting there from 1980 - 1995, and haven't been back since well i go when the Brisca F1's are on, but haven't done that for 2 years, and i live 5 minutes from it... 92 turn my eyes to F2's, not looked back since, and now follow them uip and down the country...

So Mav you were nearly the oldest racer here.... did you forget me... Must be that i look a lot younger than you M8 :)... now it looks like i am :( unless Big andy was born before August

I followed/helped a young lad just starting in F2 called Neil Anderson 791 at the time, and looking at some of the historic F1 and F2 sites online brings back many happy memories of the racing.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Am I the oldest here?

Big Andy

As Mav has said, rFactor has taken it's toll on this oldtimer (51). never got to grips with it and just stopped racing.

Small world, as Neil bought my mate's F2 when he started racing. The car won the Hartlepool track championship in it's early years. It's even older than the one in my avater!

Very apt this thread.. think I only won one Heat F1 final and have just won my very first Rfactor F1 feature final at the grand age of 54 and a bit!!

Does that make me the oldest racer.. ruddy ell.. got to say though still enjoying it ..again..

ALi P

Biffo is 60 and will be 61 on the 5th November. Biffo joined ukdirt in 2006 but has only done banger heat as far as I am aware. Sure he can correct me on that. Raced real life back in the 70s in both bangers and supetstox.

• 2 weeks later...

:coffee: 61 in November , Bobberts right, so there, you`re all spring chickens.......lol.

Think nearest to me in Bangers is Crewe but no idea how old he is.

As BigAndy started with his ramble , its my turn ;)

My first view of Stock Cars was Harringay stadium, North London.

I was about 10 then so it was 1961 and the bug bit .

After a couple of return visits we turned our attentions to Wimbledon Stadium where the new F2`s were being run by a new promotion called Spedeworth.

Found far more action there with the F2`s and were regular spectators there and at New Cross Stadium until moving out of London in 1965.

Spedeworth really used to put everything into there promoting back then, even the start marshal wore a Golden Bowler hat ( Jumbo Allen).

They got there first International tag by inviting a team from Holland over for a series of Team racing.

What better way to promote this than driving all of the Dutch team, 6 cars and trailers with their race cars , bedecked with Tulips through the London streets covered in posters.

3x Ford Farlines and 3x F1 style cars with Beetle bodywork if I remember correctly.

Needless to say me Dad and me went to New Cross to watch the Team event and were jumping up and down making loads of noise as our little F2`s beat the Dutch V8 powered cars.

But enough of me tales of old, I think you`ve got the picture.

Final note, I did get to see the old Brisca F1 stock car legend "Darkie Wright" racing a SCOTA F1 car round Ringwood Raceway in the 1970`s and at the time he was a mere 65 so

theres hope for us all. :thumbup:

Edited by Biffo

post-997-1350560418.jpg

ENGLAND v HOLLAND - 1965

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..