Portable Apps + rFactor

thebagoo

Anyone on the technical side of UK Dirt tried this with rfactor + mods?

If you head over to Portable Apps, you'll see a lot of current applications that can be run without being "installed."

I was thinking whether it was possible to package up rfactor + any patches + F1 mod + F2 mod + etc and then package this up into something that you just plonk on your hard disk.

Obviously, a CD is still required for the copy protection.

I was thinking if this would help the less "computer literate" to get these mods up and running with the right skins, real feel, etc without any hassle.

I know you can move the game between hard disks cos I did it when I built a new PC.....

:2:

Bagoo

lol. I'm actually one of them IT guys!

I got it from a teacher on a Microsoft course I went on. He told us that he as accidentally shared his USB drive if we wanted to grab the films, games and software off it. This was something that I dragged off it. Had lots of apps packaged into it. I should update it at some point.

It's a great tool. While it's stealthy, it also saves Windows slowing down by having the registry bloat you always get by installing stuff.

Plus, you just bung it on a USB stick or common drive and run everything from there.

I've read some of the blurb on how to package things up and it looks fairly straight forward. Maybe in closed season I'll try some experiments on packaging rfactor + patches +all UK Dirt mods everything else up so people have a turn-key UK Dirt "install" without having to muck about.

Another thing that can be packaged up is pchat - this is an open source, free IRC client that I already use to access the UK Dirt chat. I think it's possible to "pre set up" this and this may help people get online to race. I don't see why this can't live in the package, too...this might be a help to the less computer literate in getting racing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..