Looking for a race seat setup

Twisty

Hi guys,

Looking at getting into ukdirt this year. So looking for a good quality steering wheel to begin with. Also looking for a full seat setup but that's not urgent, due to man cave not being ready yet. :)

What is the best wheel to get?

Does anybody have any for sale?

Thanks, Twisty

Hi guys,

Looking at getting into ukdirt this year. So looking for a good quality steering wheel to begin with. Also looking for a full seat setup but that's not urgent, due to man cave not being ready yet. :)

What is the best wheel to get?

Does anybody have any for sale?

Thanks, Twisty

Hi buddy welcome to the fold, I am also new this season and I couldnt recommend a better place to be everyone is helpful and friendly, as for a wheel if you want what I consider the best get a logitech G27 but dont expect much change out of £200 worth every penny though.

Ok, wheel purchased and is awesome!

Next question is what sort of laptop do I require? The one I have at the moment is fine for offline but I think it's going to struggle online.

I know there's the Alienware laptops which are supposedly really good but also really expensive. Do any of you run on laptops and if so what's the best/cheapest option?

Hi again buddy i personally dont use a laptop i prefer my desktop which if you shop around you can get a decent one for not that much at all, i do know of one person that uses a laptop and he finds it ok and its not a top spec one so maybe yours will be fine.

Hi again buddy i personally dont use a laptop i prefer my desktop which if you shop around you can get a decent one for not that much at all, i do know of one person that uses a laptop and he finds it ok and its not a top spec one so maybe yours will be fine.

Cheers for the info, think I will have a look for a desktop then, we have a computer shop that does second hand stuff so will try there. My laptop is ok for single mode but jumps a little every other lap so dread to think what it would be like for online.

Hi Twisty,

As Paul has said, Most people use Desktops to run rFactor, I know of a few people whom use laptops but not sure on the spec. I definately wouldn't purchase an Alienware computer/laptop as you can build one much cheaper yourself or also buy a built rig from Overclockers/Scan etc.

Tom

Thanks again guys for the advice. They have 2 computers second hand.

The cheapest is on windows vista with 2G Memory and 160G hard drive. Is this good enough for the game? Sorry I'm asking so many questions I've always relied on others regarding computers this is the first I've bought myself!

You don't need a top end gaming PC to run this game. This also applies to what rfactor will be superceded by - rfactor 2.

Therefore, if you aim for rfactor2 recommended specification hardware, you've got a future proofed setup.

rfactor 2 recommended specs are:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit

Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better

Memory: 4 GB+

Video: nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better 512MB

Hard disk: 4GB

DirectX Version: 9.0c

If you want to play other PC games, like Crysis etc, you'll need a better computer.

Basically, anything i3 or better with a dedicated graphics card is going to run rfactor for you. 2GB RAM is OK for now; you could always add some later.

This is overkill for what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-i3-AMD-HD-...89997&rt=nc

If you want something new and have a budget of around 600 quid, Chillblast is a good option:

http://www.chillblast.com/Systems-less-than-L750/

Last PC I built, I basically ripped off a 5* review design that they sell for 700 quid and built it myself with same or better components I'd bought for 450 quid.

Or, for less:

http://www.ebuyer.com/616848-acer-aspire-x...op-dt-srpek-041

If you go for something cheaper, aim for a i3-2120 at minimum with a dedicated graphics card. On board graphics will probably work, though. You might pick one up for 200 quid on Ebay.

Also:

http://www.passmark.com/index.html

and

http://versus.com

are both great for comparing processors and graphics cards.

Cheers,

Bagoo

Edited by thebagoo

I run everything flat out and literally spent £360 on a brand new desktop. The desktop setup will give you a much better outcome when it comes to gaming as a desktop will run at much cooler temperatures giving you a lower prime temperature for a graphics card to run at, where as a compact laptop will run at a much higher temperature as all of those hot components are next to each other. Running at higher temperatures will give you a much higher chance of 'lag' as the PC will be using more of its processor to figure out how to cool itself down rather than focusing on the game itself. (just saying)

I see you have bought a Logitech G27

You will need to install the drivers..

Then you will need to setup the wheel.. There is an annotated guide here

www.uksom.co.uk/controller

Edited by Wardieee

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..