Router problems

mitch28

Hi guys,

Having a bloody mare with my internet at tho mo, il tell you the whole story!

Moving house so told bt a date to change broadband from old house to new. Told them a date of the 10th November, but BT being BT got the date wrong and cut the broadband off on the 10th of October! I have been without the internet from this date

After endless phone calls to BT they finally connected me back up, ready for tuesday 8pm. So 8pm comes and im sitting at my pc counting down the time. Come 12 and im still there fidling with the computer trying to get my bloody internet to work!

Anyway ive rang BT, and they ran a line check to see whats the matter. They tell me my broadband is fine and nothing is wrong in their part. So i then ring Belkin! (I have a adsl router wireless blah blah) They give me instructions but nothing they tell me fixes it. They then give up with this computer and tell me to try on another one. So i plug in my router into the ethernet slot and hey presto the internet is working!! This then stumps the wally on the phone as they have run out of information to give me! She then tells me to wait 2 mins while she pulls up some more information. I am then told that its a problem with my ethernet card its out of date and needs updating.

So today i run down to PC World and buy myself a new gigabite pci ethernet card. Install it all fine, all working, plug my router in and still no internet!

I cant seem to get onto the main belkin page with all the properties of the router on my desktop computer and it wont assign my computer with a valid ip address. However all of my other computers in the house work fine? So im guessing its a problem with the PC?

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers MItch

What a nightmare you've had!

Is it only the internet that doesn't work on the desktop pc, is the actual network working ok, can you connect to the other computers on the network?

I have 2 laptops n desktop pc. Desktop pc isnt working at all (t'internet or network) but the other 2 work fine

i think the problem is to do with the ip address. My desktop pc automatically assigns my pc with a invalid ip address, however when i put the router into the laptop it assigned a valid ip address and let me change the router settings. I have tried going into the properties of the connection and changing the ip address myself, but this still doesnt work

Thanks for replying

Mitch

I specify the IP address of my PC specifically for my router (ie not autoassigned). In order to access the internet, I had to set my ISP's DNS servers addresses specifically on the PC.

Try ping or tracert to an IP address on the internet.

Edited by JohnMid

I specify the IP address of my PC specifically for my router (ie not autoassigned). In order to access the internet, I had to set my ISP's DNS servers addresses specifically on the PC.

Try ping or tracert to an IP address on the internet.

Thanks for the reply John, im not quite sure i understand what your saying. I have specified the IP address for my pc specifically for my router. I did this by going into LAN properties, internet protocool properties then specify the ip address and dns. I also specify the default gateway (the properties page of the router)

This still doesnt work, however it says im connected but i still cannot get onto the main properties page of the router.

Im not quite sure what you mean wiv the tracert or ping? Ive looked on the net and found this but still not sure http://www.tracert.com/

Thanks for the reply

Well, each router is different, which is half the trouble...

But when I set up my TCP-IP on my PC for the wireless card (which is what it connects to the router with) for the DNS servers, I had to actually type in the plusnet DNS server addresses, or else I couldn't browse websites etc.

For a tracert test, from the start menu, choose 'run' and enter 'cmd'.

You'll get a command prompt window.

type in:

tracert 195.149.21.211

If you're connected to the internet, you should get a list of IP addresses as the command trundles through the internet to the Jolt 1 server. If this works, it means your DNS (Domain Name Server) needs setting, probably.  Every time you go to google.com or whatever, some server somewhere has to take that address, and change it into an actual IP address- that is the DNS server.

The DNS address in my network settings is not my router address, it is the address as per plusnet's settings page.

This may or may not help you- it's difficult to figure out the problems when you don't have the same kit.

Well, each router is different, which is half the trouble...

But when I set up my TCP-IP on my PC for the wireless card (which is what it connects to the router with) for the DNS servers, I had to actually type in the plusnet DNS server addresses, or else I couldn't browse websites etc.

For a tracert test, from the start menu, choose 'run' and enter 'cmd'.

You'll get a command prompt window.

type in:

tracert 195.149.21.211

If you're connected to the internet, you should get a list of IP addresses as the command trundles through the internet to the Jolt 1 server. If this works, it means your DNS (Domain Name Server) needs setting, probably.  Every time you go to google.com or whatever, some server somewhere has to take that address, and change it into an actual IP address- that is the DNS server.

The DNS address in my network settings is not my router address, it is the address as per plusnet's settings page.

This may or may not help you- it's difficult to figure out the problems when you don't have the same kit.

Thanks for the reply, i tried your suggestion, and i dont get a list of ip address's. I get destination host unreachable. So i guess the dns is not the problem?

Thanks for the suggestion. Im using an ADSL MODEM WITH HIGH SPEED MODE WIRELESS G ROUTER

cheers Mitch

Yes, if you get host unreachable on a tracert to IP addresses, you have no internet.

Can you access your router's admin page from the PC with the problem? That will tell you if you're connected to it. If you can do so, is there any setting in the router for access control? You should be able to reserve an IP address for that computer based on its identity (MAC address of the network card). My Netgear ADSL/Router allows this. So my desktop PC always gets the IP address that my port forwarding is set up for, but there is space in my allowed IP address range for the brother in law's laptop to be assigned an IP address automatically.

I expect it's a bit trickier with a seperate router and ADSL modem- my combined one had all the settings required for dialling up plusnet built in- all I had to do was pick it from a list. If your Belkin modem has a configuration web page you can get to, you could try checking in there that the internet/WAN settings are correct for your ISP.

Hi John,

Thanks for all your help, ive finally got it working,

in the end i just did a complete re-install of xp and it started up and worked fine, no idea what the problem was but must of been something to do with the pc itself?

Thanks for your help much appreciated mate

Mitch

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..