sound on my computer

gb junior

hello, slight irritating problem blink.gif      when i brought my computer there was sound on it working fine and everything, then one day it decided to die on me and now says there is no soundcard installed onto the computer banghead2.gif , does anyone know how to re-install the soundcard or even fix this problem  shrug.gif

help would be great

dom356 thumbup.gif

P.S - im not stupid enough to have it on mute accidently  rolleyes.gif  5.gif

Edited by gb junior

Not being an expert, but take your soundcard out, and put it back in, then turn your computer back on and Windows should find and reinstall your card for you.

Alternatively, try going to Control Panel, then Add Hardware and see if you can pick out your souncard to install it.

Hope i have got that right scared15.gif

f2-fan = Dont know how to mate thats wot im asking about  scared15.gif  rofl.gif

Dazza = i dont know wot it looks like rofl.gif  and wouldnt trust myself to do tht but might have to try, i have tried the add hardware didnt work though  shrug.gif

cheerz. ANYMORE HELP scared15.gif

right some instructions on how to do this please, does it just clip in or something is the sound card something on its own or attached to the motherboard or something  shrug.gif   king.gif  never done this before  coffee.gif

thanks for the replys so far mate  thumbup.gif

Edited by gb junior

The sound card will be in a slot attached to the motherboard and it should be screwed into the back of your case.  If you leave the speakers plugged in and remove the side you will see which card it is.  Unscrew it from the back of the case and it should just pull out, then just resit it screw it back in and reboot, it should detect the card again then.

If you can't remove it from the motherboard then it sounds like you have a built in sound card, you will need to download the drivers for it and try reinstalling them.  www.driverguide.com has all kind of drivers for all kind of pc bits or you will need to go to the web site of the motherboard manufacturer.

gb junion- try the "add hardware" option in control panel, and see if it picks up the soundchip.

Otherwise, right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop, chooe "Properties" from the menu that appears, click in the Hardware tab at the top of the window that comes up, then click on "Device Manager"

Look for anything on there with a question mark against it, or click on the little + sign next to Sound, video and game controllers, and tell us what's there.

Well after looking at that your PCI controller is the thing that isn't working that is probably why the sound card isn't working that is if your sound card is a pci card.  And you have a com port not working too but the com port shouldn't be a problem.

You need to click on the PCI controller and get that to try and reinstall the drivers.

OK. Because that's one of the few things I can think of that would be a PCI device with a COMM port. IT *might* be interfering with the onboard sound, but it might be a total red herring. You can right click on it in the list there, and somewhere on the window that pops up is an option to disable that hardware. I would do that, as it doesn't work as it is, and finding drivers for rockwell/connexant PCI modems is a trial in itself, unless you have the original discs.

You might want to check in the BIOS (Usually press DEL on startup, or F8 or whatever it says to do) and check that the onboard sound has not been disabled- there should be a section called PCI devices or similar which will have that option in it.

i re started my comp, pressed f8 then went onto the windows menu, went onto something like ........./PCI configuration, one of the options in there woz DISABLED so i changed it to enables saved then booted, still no sound  3.gif

went back and changed it back just incase i bugger something up  king.gif

i really need sound lol please dont give up  thumbup.gif  scared15.gif

wot is this www.driversguide.com, would that help if u pointed me in the right derection intheclub.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..