£17,000 to scrap in one heat

Magpye105

Derek Hales, the official importer of Oval Legends suffered yet another bad start to the season today with an almighty crash that knocked him unconcious and badly bruised.....worse still his brand new car that cost in the region of £17,000 was loaded into the trailer as scrap parts having completed about 12 laps!!!

The incident happened in his first race at Hednesford today, when he clipped the armco coming down the pit straight, but nothing new there for a man who has been racing nearly 40 years, however he was on the outside trying to work his way through the pack  when a car, who I believe was his Son Ian moved wide going into turn 1 to try and outbrake a car, Derek had already committed himself to that line due to the unbalanced car after hitting the armco.......what happened then stunned the large staffordshire crowd as the car launched off the rear wheel of the involved car and sent Derek Hales into the armco at about 60-70mph roof first, which then caused the car to complete its roll and land on 4 wheels.  The impact knocked Derek out for a couple of minutes.

The medics attended in numbers and the remainder of the fibreglass roof was removed, at one stage a blanket was held over the fence to stop onlookers as they treated the driver, a chilling sight when it is someone you have known for years and raced against many a time.  After about 10 mins Hales was removed from the car and walked to the ambulance.  Luckily the safety of the pocket rocket legends was proved yet again as his only injuries are a very sore head, badly bruised arm and a big hole in his wallet.

The chassis is a write off, with all the weld points stressed and some hefty dents in the roll cage.  A banana shaped rear axle which looked to have bent the propshaft as it tried to find a way into the cockpit of the car.  All the suspension was bent, exhaust smashed, the fuel cell has broken from its mounting point and even severed a fuel line, which was lucky not to ignite.  About the only thing that looked to escaped from damage was the engine.

I would be surprised to see this car rebuilt, as it is almost cheaper to buy a new car.  Derek had contemplated running his 2004 car, as the sale of it had fallen through a few days ago.  He has already stated he will be back on April 23rd at Birmingham Wheels and it will be in the old car.

I like to wish him a quick and speedy recovery from one of the worst crashes I've seen in a long time.

post-202-1112045788_thumb.jpg

i was at hednesford when it happened. very scary indeed to see something like that. credit where credit is due to the marshalls and paramedics who did a great job in getting him out and making sure he was ok.  appl.gif  thumbs_up.gif

Guest Trash
£17,000 for one of them though? No thanks...  blink.gif

12606[/snapback]

You said it...I thought it!

£17,000 for one of them though? No thanks...  blink.gif

12606[/snapback]

Can by a neat F1 stock car for that lol...... i know which id rather have!

ore a brand new formula 2..........

And indeed on the pictures the damage looks not so bad but ive seen drivers who where getting too the hospital whit a chopper but the car whas almost ready 4 the next heat, so that says not everything.

cheers,

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..