Big Thanks

Magpye105

I want to say thanks to Budge313, Jay404 and Jay Austin aka Pants827 for helping me get onto the track tonight for a night of serious FUN!  Budge came to the rescue earlier in the week by agreeing to fabricate a new engine mounting bracket out of steel to replace VW's very (un)sturdy alloy one!

Jay 404 & Jay Austin brought it along to Foxhall tonight to what we thought would be bolt on and go and enjoy the racing.  2 hours later we finally got the mounting on the car in time for me to take the grid for the second race for the 1300 Stocks, I'd missed the 2004 Gold Rush final (which I think I was not allowed to enter anyway due to not qualifying) so was happy to be out on track.  Without your determined efforts lads I would have loaded up and given up if I'm honest  appl.gif   appl.gif  I hope you enjoyed the beers with the money I gave you  2.gif

I feared that the car would be wrongly geared for foxhall, and seeing as I had not managed to make practice it was hit or miss whether I needed to shift up from 2nd to 3rd mid straight or if 3rd would be ok.  3rd was too slow in the corners, so went with 2nd and it seemed ok.

I spun my first car EVER (#18) on the opening laps which made me feel great, but soon dropped down the grades as I was uncertain how to enter the corners, did I need to dab the brakes, did I need to brake or did I just throw it in and hope it comes out without hitting the armco on the outside......... so Heat 1 was a learning curve.  Had to ease off with 2 laps remaining as the oil pressure light came on. Finished about 20-25th I think

Jay Austin suggested some different tyre pressures as the car was pushing on exit of the corners and  thumbup.gif  they worked better in the 2nd race of the night for me.  A quick check over the car and all seemed well with it, except a load of oil having forced itself out of the dipstick.  It was decided that we need to loose a "bit of oil" as the engine was over full and this was probably causing the oil pressure problems.....so my new mechanic Firestorm aka Paul undid the hot sump plug and then proceeded to burn his fingers as the oil gushed out all over the pits and he was unable to put it back in.  Luckily with an empty sump I had about 2-3 litres of new oil with me, enough to get back out.....and that solved the oil pressure problem.

Heat 2 (our last race of the night) started well with me leaving 18 on the 2nd row of the grid, and quickly into 3rd place, but then cars 18 and 100 tangled and 100 rolled bringing out the reds....had to do it all again now!  banghead2.gif   What happened over the next couple of laps were a blur (I think it maybe concusion) I was whacked from behind and forced into a sideways slide on the pitbend, and had managed to hold it and was coming out of the corner, when I was hit by about 10 cars one after another (at least it seemed that way)....the red tops had decended and I was fodder sideways mid corner!  I hadn't realised that the gearbox had decided in its wisdom to throw me out of gear....so I was going nowhere until I found 1st.......Off I went ( in about 35th place now  rofl.gif ) and I realised as I tagged onto the back of a group of star drivers that the car in 2nd gear was infact on the pace!  ohmy.gif   I was not being caught and I was not losing the car in front.  I almost had a nasty accident with 53 as I had to dive between him recovering from an accident and the car that hit him, how I missed both I'm not sure!  Maybe Polos aren't that wide after all!

I then came across a recovering Derry Monk......and passed him for position, 2 laps later he had caught me and rather than race down the inside of me on the back straight, he decided to give me a welcome to Foxhall & 1300 Stocks spin, 270 degrees (tyres scrubbed a little  thumbs_up.gif ) and onto the grass!  Found 1st and away we go again!  2 laps later I finish yet another race, with all the wheels on the car still  appl.gif no oil pressure problems  appl.gif  and a happy feeling of having fun!

UNTIL - I try to drive the car onto the trailer and no drive in any gear!  So we have some work to do to find out what has broken, but it must have been something from the spin that has broken....We feel it could be the driveshaft popped out.....

So a great evening's racing which was thoroughly enjoyed, but would not have been possible without Jay Austin, Jay 404 & Budge...Thanks Guys! I owe you a big favour now!

Glad you enjoyed it m8..... and your welcome.... wasn't a problem making you the mounting.... but have a feeling jay might bend my ear monday morning.... rofl.gif with a 2hr job to fit it.. but he was only 5 mins from work should have taken it back to workshop and altered it if the bracket was the prob...

But aleast you had a good time playing in the baby stock cars smile.gif

no worrys m8 hope u enjoyed it yes we did have a mission putting the mount on but i wont let a car beat me we stuck at it and got it on  banghead2.gif

i think u have got alot more to get out off the car m8 seems to be on the pace have a play with ther suspension so it goes in abit harder m8 and trophies coming ur way  thumbs_up.gif

Edited by pants827

Well done Magpye. appl.gif  appl.gif

Your enthusiasm oozes out of your description there! Glad you enjoyed it. Watch for the sore bits tomorrow!! laugh.gif  laugh.gif

14359[/snapback]

Thanks for all the kind words....and yes my shoulders and head have been hurting a little today....but they will be fine tomorrow!  Hopefully I will be out again at Ipswich on May 14th for the Suffolk Championship.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..