Crimond Bangers not good?

erik

What ever your opion is about Crimmond, its still Banger Racing.

Whats better than getting a dodgy old Banger, strip it, wack a cage in, tie the doors shut. Hop in, stick your helmet on. Then at the green flag start racing round. Riskin' life 'n' limb for a good crash and entertaining the crowd. Is that what old Skool Bangers is all about?? :rofl::thumbup:

It certainly is. :thumbup:

Car preperation and driver safety has always been my number one priority when building cars. Any cars that I raced on dirt tracks where always prepped exactly the same as my tarmac spec cars. We even used to race around a mates field, and my cars used to turn up exactly the same as if they where going to a propper meeting, the other muppets would just drive a car staright off the road and race it with all the glass and seats in, with passengers. :coffee:

At the end of the day you can set whatever level you like on car safety, but some people will always try to build their cars as quickly and easily as possible.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me this isnt what I am thinking it is? To me it looks like an barrel of some sort being used as a petrol tank and is over hanging the back of the car?!

Well spotted Andy, but what the hell is it?!

Ok erik sorry for another post but can you give me your banger expertise on why these are not on fire?

At a guess I'd say the good lord was looking over them ;)

good video Dippy :thumbs_up:

Please tell me this isnt what I am thinking it is? To me it looks like an barrel of some sort being used as a petrol tank and is over hanging the back of the car?!

Thats the underneath of a banger you're seeing Andy.

But the car in front that you thought had a barrel in it, got loaded up cos he had a fire extinguisher based petrol tank with the feed, breather and return pipes loosely siliconed in to the tank and was leaking when it rolled.

The car that went up in flames had the original tank and fuel injection. The tank cracked and also the fuel feed popped off at the engine. The driver baled out with the ignition (still on the key and with dash in place) still on. So the fuel pump was still spurting out fuel onto the hot exhaust. After emptying 5 or 6 extinguishers only for the blaze to start again, it took one of us to jump into the blazing car and turn the key off to get the fire to stop, because Crimond don't require a cut off switch! That's my head you can see behind the number fin in the pic of the fire and I'm still coughing up extinguisher powder yet!!

Edited by Chewy102

Ok erik sorry for another post but can you give me your banger expertise on why these are not on fire?

Here's some possible answers Earache could perhaps use in reply to your questions Calum

PIC 1...

Its a Diesel

PIC 2...

Its a Diesel

PIC 3...

Its a Diesel

PIC 4...

Its a Diesel

:scared15:

Andymek.

Here's some possible answers Earache could perhaps use in reply to your questions Calum

PIC 1...

Its a Diesel

PIC 2...

Its a Diesel

PIC 3...

Its a Diesel

PIC 4...

Its a Diesel

:scared15:

Andymek.

bears cars never burn they just bend anyway

Many promotions, including those operating under orc, now allow single point injection. Removing the dash is very easy, usually about 4 bolts and the odd bit of plastic to cut. REMOVE THE FUEL TANK! If its in front of the rear axle then its practically under you and contains an inacccesible high pressure fuel pump! Remove it, and the fuel line, extract the fuel pump and run it in the car inline with a tap that is within reach of your hand when you're strapped in the car. You'll need to run a return for the fuel injection to work. It will cost you no more than £20 for the bits, it will take max a couple of hours of your time and will stop you suffering burns. Remember saabs are based on vauxhall cavs and have lots of interchangeable parts. Poor build will end up with you getting hurt, encouraging health and safety types to clamp down on our sport. Support banger racing and build your car properly!

xTx

Edited by xTx

Many promotions, including those operating under orc, now allow single point injection. Removing the dash is very easy, usually about 4 bolts and the odd bit of plastic to cut. REMOVE THE FUEL TANK! If its in front of the rear axle then its practically under you and contains an inacccesible high pressure fuel pump! Remove it, and the fuel line, extract the fuel pump and run it in the car inline with a tap that is within reach of your hand when you're strapped in the car. You'll need to run a return for the fuel injection to work. It will cost you no more than £20 for the bits, it will take max a couple of hours of your time and will stop you suffering burns. Remember saabs are based on vauxhall cavs and have lots of interchangeable parts. Poor build will end up with you getting hurt, encouraging health and safety types to clamp down on our sport. Support banger racing and build your car properly!

xTx

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

You mention Saabs and Cavaliers having lots of interchangable parts...do you know there are Cavalier wheels which would fit a Saab 9000?

PIC 1...

Its a Diesel

PIC 2...

Its a Diesel

PIC 3...

Its a Diesel

PIC 4...

Its a Diesel

Here's my real answers...

PIC 1...

I've no idea

PIC 2...

I don't know

PIC 3...

Me no know

PIC 4...

How the hell do I know?

Edited by erik

Sorry for the double post, but my edit button is gone. It should ask "Do you know if there are Cavalier wheels which would fit a Saab 9000?", just noticed that lol.

Saab is owned by gm, saab 9000 is based on cav chassis and engines on gm blocks so cav wheels and uprights should fit fine.

remember to takr ur standard tank out remember :scared15:

Saab is owned by gm, saab 9000 is based on cav chassis and engines on gm blocks so cav wheels and uprights should fit fine.

Ok, cheers :thumbup:

At the end of the day...take out a banger you feel is safe. If it passes scrutineering and your happy, race it! Wouldn't even consider leaving the original tank in, for the sake of 10 minutes taking it out you might aswell.

I had to laugh about Crimond not requiring cut off switches, do they all run on the key then?

I had to laugh about Crimond not requiring cut off switches, do they all run on the key then?

Aren't cut off switches a fairly recent requirement in ORC bangers though?

In order to reach the key you'd have to either have your seat pretty close to the steering wheel or have your belts a bit loose neither of which I fancy, thanks!

Guest Trash

Probably not. Before the introduction of cut off switches people ran wiring without keys Marc, you just wired it up without a cut off included.

Its not just a case of leaving the original tank in Marcy, some of them actually use the original tank too.

Speaking of those bangers... How do you fancy a radiator tied in with rope to where the back seat used to be and a couple of hoses carrying boiling water passed you to the engine?

Its not just a case of leaving the original tank in Marcy, some of them actually use the original tank too.

Speaking of those bangers... How do you fancy a radiator tied in with rope to where the back seat used to be and a couple of hoses carrying boiling water passed you to the engine?

pmsl that's quality Chewy.....I guess if they're happy in their own little world....lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..