F1 Specific Skin Guide!

MoR137

Hi all,

As promised, here is my 'F1 specific' skin converting/getting into game guide!

The process is really simple, maybe even simpler than Heat, but that's for you to decide lol!

Painting your skin

Paint the skin as you would any heat skin. You'll notice that on Grasser's elite templates he as left the shading and polygon edges on the body/wing panels (so you can see the contours of the car so you can paint certain parts without having to keep looking in game to check you have things where you want them in relation to the shape of the panels etc). To colour these you just need to draw a rough selection around them on the correct layer and then select them, then flood fill them a solid colour. You don't need to leave the details/shading underneath. It really is that simple.

Converting your skin

To get the skin into game you need to save the finished product as a DDS. To save as this file format, you will need to DOWNLOAD THE PLUGIN FROM THIS PAGE. This plugin should work fine with Photoshop, it can be used with PSP if you drop it in the plugins folder but it tends to be temperamental, so if you can use it Photoshop, then do so, as it really isn't worth the hassle. Once you've installed the plugin, you will notice you can now save as .dds. When you have named your file, then click save and a Nvidia dialog will come up - just use the default settings and it should work fine (Make sure that the top drop down box is set to 'DXT1 (no alpha)'!).

Naming your skin

Name your .dds appropriately. Look in the tarmac skin directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\F1Stockcar\Tarmac\Tarmac) and you'll see the current skins that are in the game, each has a .dds and .veh (we'll talk more about that later!). So, if you painting an Elite Tarmac, then name yours to match the others. As you can see, mine is 137EliT, so just use your number. If you are painting an Elite Shale, then go to the shale skin directory (C:\Program Files\rFactor\GameData\Vehicles\F1Stockcar\Shale\Shale) and name it accordingly (mine is 137els).

VEH Files

Each skin also needs to have a corresponding .veh file, which is named the same as your dds. You can open VEH files in notepad. These are basically the 'drivers.txt' of rFactor. Whilst they do look quite confusing at first, they are actually really simple to edit. So make a duplicate of an existing one (copy one and paste it, don't 'save as' as it wont save as a .veh!!!), and then rename to match your dds. Then open it up and adjust all of bits ive highlighted in green, but DO NOT adjust the bits highlighted in red!

[attachmentid=17823]

Now, if you've done all that correctly, then you should be able to go into game and find your skins. Hope this has helped chaps, i'm no expert at this yet but i'll try and help if you've any problems, and hopefully I haven't missed anything!

post-9-1185474065.jpg

I just wanted to add a couple of small notes to moR's excellent tutorial, if I may......

re: DDS conversion - make sure on the Nvidia dialogue box that 'generate mip maps' is set to 6

re: naming cars, because the chassis have different names for tar and shale, i think you can use the same number (i.e. 496 in my case) for tar and shale cars (i.e. you don't need a different number for your shale car)

:2:

I just wanted to add a couple of small notes to moR's excellent tutorial, if I may......

re: DDS conversion - make sure on the Nvidia dialogue box that 'generate mip maps' is set to 6

re: naming cars, because the chassis have different names for tar and shale, i think you can use the same number (i.e. 496 in my case) for tar and shale cars (i.e. you don't need a different number for your shale car)

:2:

yup great MoR had a go heres my 1

[attachmentid=17879]

[attachmentid=17880]

post-1117-1185628729_thumb.jpg

post-1117-1185628786_thumb.jpg

hahhaha tosh was in my english class at school right enough :rofl:

aye i did notice but couldnt be botherd fixing it then . its done noe tho :thumbup:

hope this marshall doesnt race 1 day,he will never fit that f1 :rofl:

[attachmentid=17886]

post-1117-1185645220_thumb.jpg

Just some more notes to add......you need to make sure that the mip map filtering is set right as well

Click the mip map filtering button on the menu and set it to how it is in this pic

[attachmentid=17929]

Thanks

post-42-1185736829.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seems that i'm doing something wrong here. I get a black skinned car in the game and not the one i painted.

I have done everything like you guys said in this thread.

Or is there something i've missed? :shrug: I'm a bit lost here, maybe you guys can help me.

I use Paintshop pro 8 b.t.w.

:2: Dennis

Edited by Dennis Jacobs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here ya go Al (and anyone else). Templates with coachlines. You can change the colours of the lines with the Hue Saturation Lightness tool in Photoshop.

maybe just me scrappy but you cant change the coachlines in colour overlay with some parts of the aero changing same colour as well. then you cant paint ontop of the aero :shrug:

it diff with this hue satuartion tool which 1 is it m8.

thanks tho a big help all round and saves time on doin them.

Edited by tosh874

Guest Scrapman53

Lol Tosh. I've just noticed myself thet there's a problem with the tar one. I'll fix it and upload it again m8.

Are you using Photoshop m8?

:thumbs_up:

Lol Tosh. I've just noticed myself thet there's a problem with the tar one. I'll fix it and upload it again m8.

Are you using Photoshop m8?

lol yes m8 photoshop 6, i cant remember if the shale has the same prob m8, i dont thinkso but maybe best check m8.

cheers tosh

Guest Scrapman53

I'll upload the fixed one tonight m8. The problem was that I created a rectangle with curved corners and then put an outline round it and forgot to delete the rectangle after that to leave just the outline.

Select your lines layer in the layer pallete, then click the image tab at the top of the screen, then click on adjustments, then hue saturation brightness. Just move the hue slider to change the colour, or the brightness one to make it either white or black. :thumbs_up:

• 2 months later...

hahhaha tosh was in my english class at school right enough :rofl:

aye i did notice but couldnt be botherd fixing it then . its done noe tho :thumbup:

hope this marshall doesnt race 1 day,he will never fit that f1 :rofl:

[attachmentid=17886]

how did you change the wheels?

how did you change the wheels?

Its in the upgrades for each car in the game. You have choice of Gold Weller, Gold 5 spoke, Silver, Black. If you have the beta/test game, click on the upgrades tab after you click 'buy' for the particular car you want. also on some cars when the full game is released, you will be able to change wings, bonnet scoops, exhaust muffles, suspension guards, shale guards, etc

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..