RESULTS & POINTS - Wedgeway 02/12/2007

DanSkin

Big congratulations to MrBeef tonight for taking the final win, and then working his way through from the back of the GN grid to start scoring double points for positions! Well done also to Hutch who top scores over the meeting.

Results:

Heat 1: 331, 27, 137, 123, 288, 188, 236, 2, 136, 300, 212, 426, 156, 286, 3

Heat 2: 684, 331, 236, 212, 286, 123, 426, 146, 268, 39, 315, 16, 3

Heat 3: 331, 39, 146, 288, 315, 684, 188, 137, 236, 27, 156, 136, 268, 3, 300, 16, 20

Heat 4: 39, 123, 288, 684, 426, 212, 146, 315, 16, 188, 137, 300, 286, 268, 20, 63

Final: 286, 684, 331, 236, 146, 123, 137, 212, 27, 288, 136, 426, 39, 300, 156, 16, 188, 315, 3

GN: 123, 212, 331, 136, 236, 300, 684, 286, 146, 137, 27, 315, 39, 426, 156, 16, 3, 288

Meeting Points:

Hutch #331 - 53

Dazza #684 - 44

Dubstar #123 - 41

DanSkin #236 - 34

MrBeef #286 - 32

PaulP #146 - 29

Pedz #212 - 27

Ironmac #288 - 23

LeeK #39 - 20

MoR #137 - 20

Cap #27 - 14

Dav #426 - 10

Aub #188 - 10

Kruiz #136 - 9

Sybe #315 - 9

Matty #300 - 6

JK #16 - 2

Allan #268 - 2

Samson #63 - 0

Fourwinds #156 - 0

Splinter #20 - 0

Johno #3 - 0

See you all next week when we'll be racing... oh... er... well... see another thread that'll appear shortly!

WD Beefy, an outstanding performance to win the Final. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

Shame I only managed to race properly in the 1st heat which I finished 8th after spinning, after that my darn connection went :banghead2: I hope to be sorted after my contract finishes at Christmas.

I did enjoy my (one) race though, lol, I had a right sweat on, trying to handle all that opposite lock with full strength force feedback and "real feel enabled"

WD Beef on taking the final win, and to Hutch who top scored.

Cheers Dan for running the meeting.

For me it was not a very good night. Think I did 10 laps in the whole meeting. A combination of getting spun out because of the contact, and poor driving on my behalf saw me not finish a race.

I wont be giving up just yet though and I will be back in 2 weeks time when we race at Belle Vue and then do the last Birmingham, but I must confess, my enthusiasm for the game in starting to dwindle.

Johno

but I must confess, my enthusiasm for the game in starting to dwindle.

Johno

i shall agree with you there m8

Sore Losers! :rofl:

When you have been a loser on heat for three years, a loser on rfactor for a few months definately aint the issue! :thumbup:

Johno

When you have been a loser on heat for three years, a loser on rfactor for a few months definately aint the issue! :thumbup:

I blame a number of factors...the main one being, I'm crap at computer games!! The kids pulling at ya controls in the middle of a race dont help matters though

At least some people manage not to spin on every bend last night :king:

Johno

I blame a number of factors...the main one being, I'm crap at computer games!! The kids pulling at ya controls in the middle of a race dont help matters though

I really wish I had them excuses for spinning out half the time :rofl:

Half of the time it was my fault as I said above. Either I had my wheels on the grass or bit too much gas at the wrong time. Maybe I just didnt like the track as I hardly think I spun out at Belle Vue.

But the other half of the time was when there was car to car contact. Peaople keeping talking about there is a certain way of hitting people, but I am never sure what it is going to do. In one of the heats I hit someone pretty hard and the car kicked right and I was in the wall. Then the final spin in the Grand National, I only tapped someone, and I mean the slightest tap and around it went. The other one was side by side coming out of the bend and around I went (although the more I think about it, there is a chance that may have been me giving it too much gas perhaps.)

I absolutely love driving shale in this game (I was practicing from half 3 till the meeting started last night so that should tell you something), but I cant help but feel disappointed when I spin out, for something that I dont see as my fault, and the I end up being lapped trying not to spoil people's races.

I aint giving up yet. Like I said I will be racing the final two meetings for sure (essays put pay to next weekend I think).

I'd argue with people still & say its the way that you hit the car in front that send you round. I've seen it in real F1's and F2's exactly the same thing when a car hits mid-bend/no throttle when the back end is already 'loose' and the car spins - making the driver look very amateur. These things are dam tricky to drive on shale though. I dont spin out very often any more...maybe that's just because i'm driving slower than everyone else :king:

PS Beef. The Grampian St Andrew's Ambulance Service would like you to pay for the headlight you smashed on their vehicle after you won the race! :5:

rFactor is the way forward, since getting a wheel I have enjoyed it 10 times more. I was sort of nearly on pace last night and only spun a few times which was mostly due to my graphics freezing up which is the next step of development at my end. I have started getting more confidence with using the bumper and I succesfully used it on several occasions last night. I can't remember them all but I remember hitting a fair few drivers including MoR, Fourwinds and Danskin. Each time I managedd to keep control, which is a first. There is a way to do it, and once you have learned that, it is far more enjoyable. I also found that making the bonnet cam further to the nose so it sits just behind the air intake filter almost over the front axle helped me control slides a lot more, however a suffered from lag much more frequently but I will have to put up with that until I order the new graphics card & RAM.

Well done Mr Beef, great drive in the Final & GN :thumbup:

I can't wait for next week, I love this game, and can't get enoughof it atm, seriously anymore and I wouldn't be able to move through aches the morning after. :rofl:

Thanks

Kruiz

Gutted I missed last night and cannot wait for splinters video :scared15:

As for contact this is how I work it out.

On tamac I try to get a better run out of the corner and then just brake a fraction latter than normal just enough to nudge the other car a car or 2 width wide and run up the inside . It is possible to hit from futher back by braking half a second latter, any more than that and you risk either spinning the car infront accross your path or gettig loose yourself

On Shale it is a different story, I only ever hit when I have a run and I am within half a cars length and then only when I can get the hit square on. Any other hit can be a bit unpredictable although with a wheel and full lock you can hold most of them.

It is possible to run up the inside and hit someone side by side on the apex but only if your car is understeering, if you are sliding at all any contact could result in a spin.

On exit if you are the inside car do not hit someone side on as you will spin more often than not.

Edited by drumbstick

Agreed with all those comments there Drumb. And I would compare you with John Lund in real life. The way you gently nudge people wide and slip through the inside. If only I could drive with that kind of finesse, lol.

I did the video last night (quick one this week!) just gotta title it and render it, then its finished. Will be on-line in the morning all being well. Its over 7 minutes long. (thanks V much to Dan for the replays again)

Edited by splinter

On tamac I try to get a better run out of the corner and then just brake a fraction latter than normal just enough to nudge the other car a car or 2 width wide and run up the inside . It is possible to hit from futher back by braking half a second latter, any more than that and you risk either spinning the car infront accross your path or gettig loose yourself

On Shale it is a different story, I only ever hit when I have a run and I am within half a cars length and then only when I can get the hit square on. Any other hit can be a bit unpredictable although with a wheel and full lock you can hold most of them.

It is possible to run up the inside and hit someone side by side on the apex but only if your car is understeering, if you are sliding at all any contact could result in a spin.

On exit if you are the inside car do not hit someone side on as you will spin more often than not.

I will certainly bear this is mind when racing in the coming weeks. Yet to try tarmac properly so not really sure on the tarmac contact.

Thanks to all those that have commented.

From what I've found so far, the harder you hit, the harder it is to control the car afterwards but as the game is very difficult to drive as it is, there isn't really a need to hit anyone hard anyway like heat, most of my hits last night were taps, front bumper to back bumper and the car handled fine afterwards and I put them easily wide enough to get by, on tarmac you have to hit slightly harder, but I'm yet to really put a decent hit on anyone on the hard stuff yet so I'll see how that goes when somebody is unlucky wnough to get on the end of my front bumper lol. :thumbs_up:

From what I've found so far, the harder you hit, the harder it is to control the car afterwards but as the game is very difficult to drive as it is, there isn't really a need to hit anyone hard anyway like heat, most of my hits last night were taps, front bumper to back bumper and the car handled fine afterwards and I put them easily wide enough to get by, on tarmac you have to hit slightly harder, but I'm yet to really put a decent hit on anyone on the hard stuff yet so I'll see how that goes when somebody is unlucky wnough to get on the end of my front bumper lol. :thumbs_up:

*looks over his shoulder at the rapidly approaching Kruiz* ...... ARRRGGHH ;)

Ever since the sexbeirium meeting and the 'contact issues' thread I've been really trying hard to establish what contact works and what doesn't. So if you think I've been a bit heavy bumpered in recent weeks, that is why :rofl:

Drum and Kruiz have got it spot on really. Massive lunges are possible, but the bigger the hit, the harder it will be for you to control it. As for 'normal' hits, all you need to do is just pick your time well - wait until you about a cars width away from the car in front. Then its all about timing and perception. If the car in front starts getting a slide on, then don't do it, you'll only spin them and knacker yourself up. If however, you are both going in nice and straight just brake that little bit later and watch them go fencewards. If you want it harder, keep the throttle on that extra bit longer, but be prepared to have to wrestle with your own car more. Once that technique is tuned on tarmac, it becomes easy on shale as well.

As for the side to side contact - there's a simple solution - avoid this sort of contact, especially if you have a slide on. Do so by braking, letting off the throttle - whatever it takes. If its unavoidable either be ready to counter a spin in a millisecond, or steer out of it before your even in it! I'm not F1 driver, but I'm sure that pretty much stands in real life. It goes against physics/weight distribution to be able to hit someone in a sliding motion in that way (i.e front right to rear left). I don't have a physics qualification either, but from my understanding, that how I think it should behave.

My solution? Stick with it, practice and experiment with someone who won't get angry :thumbup: It definitely worth it to get the most out of rF F1s.

I throughly enjoyed the meeting by the way, a different sort of challenge with some great racing. And that massive pile up on lap 7 of the GN - ouch! I was laughing out loud as every time I came to a halt someone new piled in lol!

Cheers

MoR

PS - as mentioned earlier, using a wheel with full steering lock in the setup means you will save 90% of spins!

EDIT - added a bit about the meeting....

Edited by MoR137

As for the side to side contact - there's a simple solution - avoid this sort of contact, especially if you have a slide on. Do so by braking, letting off the throttle - whatever it takes. If its unavoidable either be ready to counter a spin in a millisecond, or steer out of it before your even in it! I'm not F1 driver, but I'm sure that pretty much stands in real life. It goes against physics/weight distribution to be able to hit someone in a sliding motion in that way (i.e front right to rear left). I don't have a physics qualification either, but from my understanding, that how I think it should behave.

EDIT - added a bit about the meeting....

Yeah, thats pretty much it, its a simple matter of weight balance and physics really. You have to weigh up the situation before going in with the bumper, sometimes meaning you have to be a bit patient, but all part of stock car racing.

Since getting the wheel, I've not been able to get my dad off the game lol. I asked him what he thinks, and how it compares to real life, he said its amazingly close to the real thing, if anything the cars a bit too light, but he says becuase of that they are faster and more fun than the real thing. :thumbup: The only other thing the game doesn't have which makes it more difficult than the real thing, which both my dad and my uncle have brought up, is that you can't feel the car physically around you slide or the g-force as it slides in a corner which makes it difficult to weigh up when to counter balance the slide, but since thats impossible in a computer game, and a FFB wheel sort of makes up for that, its virtually spot on. :thumbs_up: Just wish we had a few more computers, becuase we would have 2 more ex-drivers racing on a sunday night lol.

Edited by Kruiz 136

I question about the MS Sidewinder more than anything I guess, I have found that my left ankle aches like hell after about 2 hours of racing, becuase it holding my foot up for so long as it is only used for breaking. I think the pedal is too far up I often find myself wanting to rest my foot on the pedal a bit, is there anyway of lowering it? Or does nobody else left foot brake?

Cheers

Kruiz

For anyone that has read my setup guide(Yes it will be updated again soon) you will notice that for every adjustment I have discussed so far all we have done is controlled where the weight is and how quickly it moves. If you hit another car side on all it does is move all this weight very quickly to places you dont want it causing you to spin.

Excellent meeting I thoguht, loved the track, big, long, fast, Shale :thumbs_up: made for some good racing.

Im over the moon with my points score for the evening, from Superstar I never really thoguht I would be able to get up amongst it so a win in my heat and 2nd in the final from the back was really pleasing. The other races I had were full of incidents which kept you on your toes too :thumbs_up:

Cheers for running the show aswell Dan :thumbup:

On the contact side of things, alot of it is confidence if you ask me. I went into that night knowing I was in full control of the car which helped when I went into each race. I found that the night was very good for pushing people on into the bends and then going up the inside, and when I did get hit I'd let off for a moment until corrected, boot it and start again

Cheers

Dazza

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..