WINTER SERIES SKIN REGISTRATION

Johno3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how would you like it to be done in the future? If there is only so many cars using one chassis and that is already taken, then someone is always going to lose out? And besides the winter series is just a bit of fun.

To keep things fair drivers who attented most races during the season should have had first dibs, bit of an award for attendance etc

After re reading my first post i think that was a bit harsh so i apologise. But i would still like to make the point that the way it is done is pretty unfair. Like i also said, i think just carrying on with the normal skin pack is the best way to do it, it's not like it requires any effort as its already ready to go!

The idea of just turning and racing with a real life car against other real cars adds to the fun aspect though as that is essentially what the Winter Series is, some non-serious meetings before the heat of the season again. I'm afraid its the rule of life though isn't it, first come first served. There's only the Lund chassis though really that is only available on one car I think, so there's a reasonably good chance you will get the chassis you want.

Having the highest attendees choosing first would be a nice way of doing it, but what if the highest attenders aren't going to race and don't bother to say, which is quite a likely scenario I expect, how long do you wait to move on to the next person?

If we were to use the league skins most people will want to create new skins with the update just being released giving someone an extra job of putting the skinpack together in a pretty short time schedule seeing as the first meeting is this Thursday.

There's only the Lund chassis though really that is only available on one car I think, so there's a reasonably good chance you will get the chassis you want.

Nope, wanted either the Lund, Johnson or Smith chassis but all have already gone. Only one each of those 3 i believe

Edit: Is it possible to use a driver that has been chosen but use a different skin for that same driver? For example the smith cars have about 4 skins for each driver?

Edited by The London Allstar

So how would you like it to be done in the future? If there is only so many cars using one chassis and that is already taken, then someone is always going to lose out? And besides the winter series is just a bit of fun.

To keep things fair drivers who attented most races during the season should have had first dibs, bit of an award for attendance etc

i thought it might have been like that, i thought you would have been reserved a gold roof car since your world champ.

Edited by wee dode

I think Lundy is in fact the only driver who uses a solus chassis, Smith goes to 391 & 390, and Falding goes to 33 & 4 off the top of my head maybe others? But you are correct these do seem to have been taken already, unfortunately. I'm not sure if the variations of each driver will be allowed for different drivers, Johno should be able to answer that.

Edited by Kruiz 136

There's only the Lund chassis though really that is only available on one car I think, so there's a reasonably good chance you will get the chassis you want.

Nope, wanted either the Lund, Johnson or Smith chassis but all have already gone. Only one each of those 3 i believe

Edit: Is it possible to use a driver that has been chosen but use a different skin for that same driver? For example the smith cars have about 4 skins for each driver?

You can have my Lund car, really deosnt mean anything they all go the same.

I will try and help out with a couple of queries that have come on here.

I am afraid it is the way it has been done for years now, and to be honest, Kruiz has covered the reasons why, with the main one being the fact that I can't get you all online at a certain time to decide on skins (plus that would be a mighty scramble). In an ideal world, there are better ways, For example, Hutch's idea is a good one, but unfortunately it is very difficult to do, and very hard to track people down to see if they want to race.

There are 3 aims for the winter series in my eyes....

(1) Keep people interested in rfactor, and at the end of the day, the winter is quite a long one and those winter nights are boring.

(2) To have abit of fun. You may get the oppotunity to drive a skin that you would not normally do. Gives you chance to try some of the others out.

(3) And perhaps the main one for me, is to try and encourage new drivers to give it ago before the season starts properly, in an atmosphere which is generally quite relaxed and friendly.

At the end of the day, the winter series is aimed to achieve all those things, and be different to the main season, and one of the biggest ways that it is differet is to use the main skins.

Other things to consider are that I wanted to the series to start at a decent time, and if we didn't start this week, then it was effectively a meeting lost, therefore one less round. People always want to change their skins again, plus new people dont have skins in the game, and you can be left with a lot of novice skins, so again the real life skins is just an easier way to do it.

In regards Admin getting their cars they want... your probably right, especially in my case as I was the first one, but when your running a series, and run he mod all thoughout the year, shouldn't you be allowed a little perk? I mean we do pay server fees exactly the same as you guys so it is quite nice for us. That said, if anyone is particularly desperate to have the Harrison chassis, then I dont particularly mind thinking about it, and as Drumbstick has said above, he is happy to give up his chassis too.... so we can't be bad guys after all :rofl:

In regards using diferent versions of the cars, I cant see a problem with it, as long as they are different coloured roofs. I dont see as it makes a huge difference, as long as we dont end up with 20 Andy Smiths!!!

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. :thumbs_up:

Cheers

Johno

P.S List will be updated later tonight.

Hutch's comment is spot on if you ask me. Whilst I wouldnt be all that bothered by which skin I had, I can only drive with certain chassis and to some extent agree with Allstar. Time to test something new I suppose...........

You can have my Lund car, really deosnt mean anything they all go the same.

No thanks drumb, a nice offer but you've already chosen it it's only fair that you get to keep it. But it does seem a few people agree tha they don't like the way its done which im relieved about as i thought for a minute i was just being a knob? lol

Thats fine saying you don't like it, and I admit its not ideal but without going into a system that requires everyone to be online at the same time, and keeping it fairly simple as its only a winter series after all, is there a better system? Especially as all chassis (as MoR says) have the same physics, I prefer some chassis over others because I use the in car cam and seating positions and perspectives do differ slightly, but for a winter series I'd be willing to drive any car really. I chose Tom Harris as he's one of my favourite drivers at the moment and to some extent represents my style of driving.

Edited by Kruiz 136

I don't see what the big deal is about to be honest. After all it is only a game at the end of the day and not real life. Your getting to drive your favourite drivers car in the game that is the main thing in my opinion. I chose 212 daniel wainman because he is one of my favourite drivers and always good to watch.

Edited by Walker363

could you simply not have made a post a week prior stating reservations will be open at a specific time, giving people plenty of notice,

that way it realy is tough luck.

if you cant be arsed to read posts/ busy doin somthing else

you can see both sides in this, yes it is fun and it should be but then again you want to use a pick of a certain car.

it is a bit a pain in the arse if your away for a while and read this post, cant pick your favourite car/driver etc, stuck with the shiote.

WHY dont the folk that are going to race the winter series, book in on a thread then someone like johno or whoever then put the names in a hat with a deadline for names to be in.

then put the names into a hat and a seperate hat for the cars.

time consuming perhaps bit then another bit of fun added in and also what-ever car you get landed with you use, end off.

can we not do it this way? :king:

fairest way seems to me. :thumbs_up:

you can see both sides in this, yes it is fun and it should be but then again you want to use a pick of a certain car.

it is a bit a pain in the arse if your away for a while and read this post, cant pick your favourite car/driver etc, stuck with the shiote.

WHY dont the folk that are going to race the winter series, book in on a thread then someone like johno or whoever then put the names in a hat with a deadline for names to be in.

then put the names into a hat and a seperate hat for the cars.

time consuming perhaps bit then another bit of fun added in and also what-ever car you get landed with you use, end off.

can we not do it this way? :king:

fairest way seems to me. :thumbs_up:

I see where you're coming, but, some people, if they don't get the car which they want, and any member of the admin team gets, lets say, Andy Smith or FWJ then it will be claimed that it was biased as it is not done in public.

Don't take this the wrong way, i'm just putting my two penny's worth across.

I will update the list tomorrow, as I am on the way out.

It has always been a first come first served basis. Its something that we have done since year dot. Everyone knew there was going to be a winter series, it was just a case of waiting for the mod to be released, and then sorting out dates that dont clash with anything.

Take last year - the same system was used, and no one complained. What has changed in 12 months?

There have been some good suggestions above, and they are either time consuming and ake a lot of work, or require everyone to be involved, or need everyone to confirm they are racing / not racing, which as someone has already said, some people dont read the forum everyday, or week anyway.

Can I also remind you what I said earlier - if we did not do it this way - you miss a weeks racing, or depending which way you wanted to do it, 2 weeks racing. And I am sure the bottom line is that we all want to race.

I am honestly starting to wonder if I should of just left it as the off season tbh, and then waited for the new season. I have never knew we were going to offend or disappoint so many people.

Johno

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..