How did you get involved with Heat?

AlecTPR

I saw a link to a site that had DTRSC brisca skins on a Brisca links page at the end of 2002, and (i think) that had a link (or a re-direct) to DirtyRacings (Boddles) site, holding files for Brisca Heat.

Couldn't believe it was an 'online' thing at all, and kinda made the decision then with Joyce that we'd get broadband when it went below £20 a month........Pipex offered £19.99 + vat and that was good enough for me lol. I had to order Nascar Heat from Amazon US (and it was so cheap i got DTRSC too just to reach the minimum value for free shipping), got it sent via a family friend in Calif and there we go...I didn't practice online before my first meeting (F1s at Belle Vue at the start of the 2003 season) and got such a shock, along with a proper battering as i recall rofl. After 3 more batterings on successive weeks i wasn't sure whether i was cut out for it at all (yep, spat the dummy even then loool), but a practice server of F2s on easter monday that year was the saving of that, so thats how i got into it.

Never (really) regretted it since either, so many thanks to you all  appl.gif  appl.gif

watchin spike having to much fun on a thursday found out bangers was coming out so purchased trav's old pc raced 56k for 12 months then season two was on b/band and reace most nights now smile.gif

but still crap at it lol

Mostly enjoyed "Wolfie's #190" late night servers - learnt alot in those  thumbup.gif

21517[/snapback]

Ditto Mav. Never in bed before 2am and superb racing with hardly a follow in in sight. I learnt a lot in there as well. Big Al, Jok, Dragon and Mac were others i remember with regular late night servers.

Scrapman and Barney had been on at me about the game all through 2001 and when i got my pc early 2002 Scrappy quickly installed installed it for me  2.gif

I was nightshift for a while and was scheduled to make my debut at Cowdenbeath in June, however that night my dial-up connection decided not to play ball for the first time so i had to wait a week and made my debut at NIR in the Euro where i qualified on pole and finished 2nd behind all conquering Jok (79).

Before the end of my first month i'd won Finals a Bradford and Newtongrange which sent me up to blue for month 2, and that with the exception of 1 meeting at yellow last year is where i have stayed for 3 years.

Shifts have hampered my appearances lately but i'm in a new job now where shifts are not on the agenda at the moment so i'm hoping to do a lot more meetings from now on.

Apart from the odd outing in a rod and a charity F2 meeting i've stuck to F1s. After practicing getting the 1 to go round i don't have time race anything else.

My only gripe is the lack of F1 racing online compared to those days mentioned away back at the start of this post but i suppose the other formulas have to get their time too.

I've met many many great people through this online adventure. If someone told me 4 years ago that 1 day i'd drive down to Ipswich on my own in October and meet up with a dozen or so other people when i get there i'd have laughed, but that's what happened last October and on other occasions as well.

Thanks again to all involed in making this possible. You know who you are  appl.gif

1st, sorry for the long write up, lol

Must have been halfway 2000 that I came across a Aussie website (Ratbag) that had a developed the Sprintcar racing game DTRSC. Great news, finally a Sprintcar game something I was very surprised with but was eager to have a go at that as I am normal not really interested in PC games. Downloaded the demo which had 3 tracks and was hooked from the off to the game. I raced it for months.

The game itself wasn't available in Holland and tried to import it. But after a month I did find a PC store that sold it. It had to be ordered but they sold it. Bought it, installed it and raced off line. With great pleasure.

I don't know how but I saw the webpage of Jimbob with his skins. That’s the 1st time I saw the Sprintcars with the UK Stockcar skins on it. This must have been somewhere at the end of 2000. Found a link on that website to UK Dirt. Read all the stuff about a league etc. but I wasn't sure if on-line racing was something for me. I decided not to join the league, though I saw the 1st Dutch guy who was signed in which was Edman.

I raced the DTRSC off-line for months having downloaded all the UK skins for the game. I followed the UK Dirt website a little and tried to keep up to date with all the new skins and tracks. When the new F1 chassis was released I got that and raced that for some time, learned a lot about how to set the car up etc. as well. It wasn't until May or June 2001 that I decided to have a try with on-line racing. I had already contacted Edman to see what he thought it was like. By now I had painted my 1st skin on my own. When I joined UK Dirt I brought a whole set of Dutch F1 skins to add to the game (still got those skins and boy are they bad, lol). 1st race Thursday night and boy what a rush it was. Hooked from day one I joined and the rest is history.

When we switched over to Nascar Heat I was skeptical about the move to the new game and didn't like it at all. By that time I had helped Moz creating a whole package of skins (together with a few others) for it's 1st Brisca Heat release. I still remember spending about my whole vacation doing those skins. When the move was made to Nascar Heat I also moved house and when I had everything done I got myself broadband (till that time I ran 56K from Holland and to say that Warp and Lag were bad over that distance, is an understatement, lol). Downloaded Brisca Heat, drove it and threw it away again. Sorry but that game was undriveable so I decided to stick to DTRSC which was still running at that time (think it were winter series). I promptly won my 1st final in DTRSC at the Knockhill track. Knockhill was a corker of a track in DTRSC, the hairpin was perfect for the do or die moves. With a bit of luck you could hit someone so hard that he flew out of the track (the model of the track that is).

But the decision was made that Brisca Heat was the game to go I moved with it, still hating the game.

Got graded yellow as in the testing servers I wasn't that good with keeping control over the car, hence my yellow roof on the UK Dirt T-shirt made back then. From there on it all developed to what UK Dirt is now. Made a lot of new friends over here but in the UK as well.

Dragon

p.s. for those interested in the history of Brisca Heat/UK Dirt have a look at JB/s website. There is an interview with Moz, the original creator of Brisca Heat.

p.p.s one of the best memories I had about the DTRSC days was my almost 1st final win at Crewe. Crewe was an awesome track where, like been said earlier, the groove was very close to the fence and you had to get it spot on to be fast. Leading the race for the last 4-5 laps and thinking "man this might be my 1st final win". With 2 to go warp started to happen and I tried to avoid the cars so altered my racing line. Last lap, still warp but just a few seconds away from victory. Cars were flying all over the place. Cominbg out of turn 4 with the finish in sight, BAM !!!, a car landed on top of me coming from nowhere, which send me skywards. When I got back on my wheel the finish was a few feet away and ended well down the results. At that time is was part of the package and you could get very angry about it. But looking back at it now, those day were imo the best days UK Dirt has ever had. The late night servers, chatting to others who are Stockcar fans as well, joining a league, this was to good to be true, but it was true.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..