Frame Rate Issue

Matty300

Ok got a frustrating issue running the F1 mod with my set-up. Last night at the Semi final at Kings Lynn my heats go fine (with 15 cars) then comes to the Semi with 20 cars & as go is called my framerate dropped alarmingly, was barely playable, jerky, delayed response from moving my G25 wheel, other cars moving in short spasms. Back to the meeting A Final with 22 cars no problems at all though! My PC specs:

Operating System MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 41 °C Windsor 90nm Technology

RAM 4.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 311MHz (5-6-5-15)

Graphics Samsung SyncMaster Monitor @ 1280x1024 (v-sync off)

Graphics card512MB GeForce 8800 GT (XFX Pine Group) @ 61 °C

Can it be down to the rolling closed grid start & having to display more cars at once? In rFactor in-game settings I have all settings set to medium, bi-linear, max. cars shown 30, anti-aliasing off, shader level to quality DX9 & pretty much everything set to mid - range so not making too many demands on graphics card & processor. My graphics are set to 1024 x 768 32 Bit. Surely my PC specs can handle this? For instance my PC can run Dirt 3, Max Payne 3, Skyrim etc. at acceptable framerates at medium settings.

I have the latest drivers installed for the nVidia geforce card.

Could it have been a server or internet connection? The replay from the server as seen from my cab shows no issues & a smooth framerate. Weird that rest of races were fine with no issues, & internet connection seemed rock solid all night.

Really annoyed that this happened on roller of a WF semi & would like to resolve it! Any ideas or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers

I experience similar issues at times. In practice i can race fine but when it another race such as a final everything is jerky & like you say unplayable at times. I have tried things turned down & even got a upgrade on my graphics card.

yeah check to see if its dusty inside the machine! since that could cause it and may also be due to the graphics card not being able to run it if it gets too hot due to dust in the machine! I know one of the lads on here was going to buy a new graphics card since his kept crashing after a little while on rfactor but cleaned out his machine and its been fine since!

but yeah check for dust and also turn graphics down maybe? ive got a 1gb card and run some of the graphics at medium to low!

On monday night as we started the F2 meeting, my graphics card got too hot and shut down the pc.

Before that it was jumping during practice.

I took the side off and dusted the inside, then sat the pc on the window sill and the breeze cooled the card down enough for me to race with no problems.

Since then I have left the side off, and although the graphics card gets warm, it runs ok. (PC is in sunlight from 3pm to dusk).

I run my settings at "high" as I have a hdmi cable, but on the shadows and shaders I have set them to "off". I also have mine set to 16 cars visable, as thats how many I think I need to get to see on my screen at once.

In the semi, I couldn't see the front two rows of cars on the roller, but that didn't matter as I only needed to see the cars immediately in front when racing.

Since changing these things, it hasn't made me drive any better, but has made the game more stable for me.

Thanks for the replies fellas, im pretty sure its not a graphics card temperature issue for me though as my heats & A final & GN were all fine. My PC didn't shut down or any weird graphical glitches or screen tearing occurred as can be the case when graphics cards run too hot, it was more a general SLOOOWWWW down, i.e. car steering became unresponsive, all cars around me were moving frame by frame, probably single figure FPS, the clouds in sky & track side scenery became jerky, however after about 3 laps normal service resumed, obviously by then my race was pretty much run.

Been doing some digging around the graphics cards forums & apparently updating nVidia Geforce cards to more recent drivers can lead to flaky performance in rFactor. I always tend to use latest certified (& beta) drivers to squeeze maximum performance out of my aging geforce 8800 GT, but apparently beyond revision 197.45 the card causes stuttering & slowdown in rFactor, something the devs who make the game officially aknowledged. Ive never experienced slowdown to this extent before, despite me updating drivers regularly since i installed the card, but i'll revert back to 197.45 just to see if there if it improves things.Bloody computers! :compbang:

Been doing some digging around the graphics cards forums & apparently updating nVidia Geforce cards to more recent drivers can lead to flaky performance in rFactor. I always tend to use latest certified (& beta) drivers to squeeze maximum performance out of my aging geforce 8800 GT, but apparently beyond revision 197.45 the card causes stuttering & slowdown in rFactor, something the devs who make the game officially aknowledged. Ive never experienced slowdown to this extent before, despite me updating drivers regularly since i installed the card, but i'll revert back to 197.45 just to see if there if it improves things.Bloody computers! :compbang:

If your having issues when you there over a certain number of cars in the race and not when it is below that number, as Hooty said 99% of the time turning the visible number of cars down works

number of cars seems to make no difference with my rig, just as many cars were in the A final at KL on the night as in the world semi. I've tried running a race weekend with 30 cars per race & no slow down whatsoever.

Hi matty. I run a 9800gt and had similar stuttering issues as you are getting. the following settings have cured mine completely so give them a go.

in Nvidea control panel, turn everything to default then just adjust the triple buffering to off and Vsync to force off.

give your pc a damn good hoover as well, as mine can go stuttery if i dont hoover it about once a month.

turning the car detail down for yourself and opponent made a massive difference for me.

post-362-1343597913.jpg

post-362-1343597923.jpg

Edited by Nezza46

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..