On-line racing

NightOwl

I've recently had to do a format of my 'puter as I couldn't get rid of a nasty virus that was disabling my Norton anti-virus.

For a few weeks, everytime I switched off my firewall to race in the BWS I was getting bombarded with Norton pop-ups telling me there were Trojans, intrusion attempts...you name it, it was coming in. I was a bit concerned, to say the least as the last time I raced it made me warpy, but I was also concious that I was at the risk of spreading my virus's to others.

Now that my 'puters all better after the format, updates installed etc., is there anything I can do to prevent the same happening again? It really was as though the viruses were queing up, waiting for me to switch the firewall off! mad.gif

Thanks

Do you need to switch your firewall off everytime you race, Nightowl? Everytime you switch on, and switch off your PC, it is always best to run your Norton Anti Virus, for any possible virus's...

Have you got the latest uptodate Norton? I've been told that it's better to get some other 'security' programme, instead of Norton, but i've forgotten what it was.

I race with my firewall on, running in the background (right or wrong..) as i'd rather protect my PC, than risk the risk of warping for a few seconds, where you can easily leave hte server...

Sorry i can't be much help,

David

5.gif5.gif

Raced in BWS for the first time since formatting. Disabled firewall just before racing and a couple of pop ups appeared saying Norton had detected and deleted intrusion attempts, but the racing went fine.

Afterward, couldn't get on the net...Spybot detected a whole load of sh*t and tried to get rid of them but got kicked out whilst trying to delete them, by the old faithful..'This 'puter will shutdown in 59, 58, 57' etc. Did a System restore to the day before and a Norton scan which detected a load of spyware cr*p that Spybot or Ad-Aware doesn't detect.

Getting relly fed up with this now. If I can't sort it out, then unfortunately it'll be me against the AI cars from now on, which is a pity as I've been a supporter of BWS since the start.

Any help GREATLY appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Edited by Kev149

Brian, I use Sygate personal firewall which runs fine when in servers and blocks all the nastys without any fuss. You can download it HERE, Its free a free trial version, But thats what I use and has no time limit. I would try leaving this on and disabling your Norton for online gaming. Initially sygate will ask if you want to allow Heat to access net (as it will any other programs) Simply answer yes or no as applicable and check the box...remember this answer.

I know all programs dont work for everyone, But give it a shot.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Mac219

Thanks Phil. thumbs_up.gif I've just d/loaded it and had a bit play about on Heat. One question...are you not constantly thrown back to desktop when it asks do you want to allow/block this that and the next thing? It remembers to allow heat, but it's always asking about others.

Kevin..on Sunday there, I tried leaving Norton switched on, but, as expected I couldn't get into server, so had to disable the firewall, though everything else was left on.

Personally, I think the viruses and adware bugs form an orderly queue outside my door at 9pm every Sunday! laugh.gif

Edited by NightOwl

Hi, I have both spybot and norton and I dont have any probs with racing online with them on. Once you allow it in the beginning that'll be it.

One thing I will say is that if you're having pop-up probs and your anti virus is working overtime then you may have more deep rooted probs.

Id do a spybot scan and a ad-aware scan to start off with at least

Link to spybot is Here

I dont have a link for ad-aware so if anyone can oblige that would be great.

I recommend spyware blaster as well which stops spyware crap getting installed in the first place. Link to that is Here

If you get this then update it regularly.

Cheers

Grasser#233

Edited by Grasser233

Hi, I have both spybot and norton and I dont have any probs with racing online with them on.  Once you allow it in the beginning that'll be it.

One thing I will say is that if you're having pop-up probs and your anti virus is working overtime then you may have more deep rooted probs.

Id do a spybot scan and a ad-aware scan to start off with at least

Link to spybot is Here

I dont have a link for ad-aware so if anyone can oblige that would be great.

I recommend spyware blaster as well which stops spyware crap getting installed in the first place.  Link to that is Here 

If you get this then update it regularly.

Cheers

Grasser#233

3078[/snapback]

you can get adaware from here

Edited by Cunny78

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..