Virus Help

Skeet_Tong

Hi folks,

Am at the end of my tether again - over the past few months I've been battling a virus on my hard drive that disguises itself as a batch of 261 executable files that implant themselves in around 16 different folders.  My anti-virus software does not recognise the virus, but the Trend Micro scan from their website has diagnosed the problem as a trojan (the Sophos evaluation pack I was sent does not work on my computer for some reason).  I have left the Trend Micro software to delete these rogue files, with myself doing a manual delete of any files it is unable to shift.  I've had a detailed look through my task list programs whilst this is in progress to see if I can spot an illegal immigrant working it's spell by recreating these files, but all of the executables appear to be in order and have legitimate paperwork as per a task list program website.  Once all of these 3000+ files have been deleted, they continue to re-appear when the computer is restarted - they do no directly affect any of my programs, but continue to make life difficult by claiming a substanial amount of hard-drive space which slows down my computer.  Is there anyone out there who can cast a magic spell to rid my of these files, before I send this computer for some swimming lessons in a vat of sheep dip???  Any help would be greatly appreciated - having only been online for just over a month, I'm a bit miffed as to how this virus appeared  shrug.gif

Hi folks,

Am at the end of my tether again - over the past few months I've been battling a virus on my hard drive that disguises itself as a batch of 261 executable files that implant themselves in around 16 different folders.  My anti-virus software does not recognise the virus, but the Trend Micro scan from their website has diagnosed the problem as a trojan (the Sophos evaluation pack I was sent does not work on my computer for some reason).  I have left the Trend Micro software to delete these rogue files, with myself doing a manual delete of any files it is unable to shift.  I've had a detailed look through my task list programs whilst this is in progress to see if I can spot an illegal immigrant working it's spell by recreating these files, but all of the executables appear to be in order and have legitimate paperwork as per a task list program website.  Once all of these 3000+ files have been deleted, they continue to re-appear when the computer is restarted - they do no directly affect any of my programs, but continue to make life difficult by claiming a substanial amount of hard-drive space which slows down my computer.  Is there anyone out there who can cast a magic spell to rid my of these files, before I send this computer for some swimming lessons in a vat of sheep dip???  Any help would be greatly appreciated - having only been online for just over a month, I'm a bit miffed as to how this virus appeared  shrug.gif

you've got mail m8

sounds like a job for hijackthis skeet - look for a prog called hijackthis (think its by merijn software) - this checks all running applications and programs on your pc and gives you a written report - you can then submit this report to their forum for analysis and support (you'd need to join the forum but i think Grasser and Yorick are members already, as am i) and they're very good at spotting rogue progs that are creating the files...... i had a similar problem last year and their advice was invaluable.

best wishes ............ Wrighty

Yeh, Im a member of the forum...Ill post a link on here when I get home from work if someone doesnt in the meantime.

Have you tryed putting the filename of the trojan into google as well to see if theres any solutions on there, that helped with something I got a while back whilst in the middle of a Hendo Final.

Cheers

Grasser#233

Hi folks,

Problem solved chaps - had a scoot through the Hijackthis forums to see if anyone else had been having similar problems and managed to find another free online scan which did the trick big time.  I'm ashamed to admit it but it found over 15,000 infected files which once deleted, freed up over 2GB of hard-drive space  blink.gif  Needless to say, I am well and truly relieved to have got rid of the files, new virus software will defo be on the Christmas list.  Another bonus of the Hijackthis software was that it helped me finally track down a registry entry which always gave error messages when my computer started up - bonus!  Many thanks gentlemen, I can highly recommend Panda Activescan and Hijackthis thumbs_up.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..