Q about setups and ai

psyko75

Last year i raced sometimes but for this year i want to get into this really

As i often race offline against the ai i got some questions

On some tracks the computer cars seems really fast and on others they drive like drunken. I heard thats because the line set for them to drive. But how can i fix it to get some better drivers to race against. Allthough i heard by setting something like best laps that this can cause problems while racing online. Any idea how to handle this for best (and please remeber i´m just a kraut with low english knocklegement)

Next question is about the setups. normally first use of track there is no setup but whats is advanced setup? How set this up as it most times seems to not be usefull. My problem is as i am no real life racer and got less knocklegement about setups that i don´t really know what i´m doing there.. so i´m not able to get a setup done. F2 includes setups for example work very well for me (already won a consi with this) but F1, SCC etx. don´t really work. And i´m sorry but cause of work i got not the times to spent hours and hours to get a setup for one track from the beginning. So i´m asking for all newbies with the same problems like me if the long time racer can give some tips and tricks for setups of the tracks. I know somebody now wants to post a link to the setup guide.. yeah i got this printed out next to me but if you go into a turn with over/understeer on both axles inside outside and within the corner, nearly unable to get that car straight down the straights, the gears shifting whenever they want... what to do now?????

I know there is no single way but i believe there are some standards for each league, track and car to give a good start and this is not the bangers middle setup.

I think my most problem is without a setup i can not improof my driving style but without an improoved driving style i can not get managed a setup and without the setup.. oh i already told that... HELP :banghead2::banghead2:

lo psyko, as ai set up i think it has somthing to do with deleting ai file for the track and re-driving it someone else might be able to explain properly.

as for set up try to get the car to do what you want...not wot it wants, watch some replays in cab view from 3 or 4 different drivers you'll see that there are different driving styles, some lose and some tight so 1 setup isnt going to help everyone. i've added a basic set up this is only as a start point and may help you keep the car straight, and rember do 10 laps with it as it is then change 1 thing and do 10 laps again if its slower than the previous 10 laps change it back and try somthing else. let me know how you get on :coffee:

get the set up HERE

Thanks you two

@ mickymoo - thanks for the basic setup. Using this at Buxton already let me drive 0.5 seconds faster than with my setup i spent hours on.. so this again shows how bad i´m in doing setups

@ Jonnyboy - like i wrote... what can i do if my car is not going down straight the straights, oversteer on BOTH axles inside, in and outside the turn....

I know every setup has to fit the individuell driving style and there is not only one specific way

But for example now i got a basic setup from mickymoo... tried it at Buxton and only problem at the moment is oversteering on frontaxle at the outside of the turn (i hope so)

Is there no way how to start? Like first try the weight, than the spring and than the tyre pressure?

lo again, the set up you have is a good start point, try putting the power on a bit later coming of the corner, it may seem slower but it wont spin the back wheels up as much and try to get into brake and power on routine, and try to make laps consistant.

Hi Mate

One thing you have to remember this that setups are not crucial to fast laps, they are helpful but not crucial. You need to sort out aspects of your driving aswell to be fast, for example think logically when going into the bends. To go as fast as you can you generally need to use as much track as you can to speed up, so for places like buxton, arena and northampton you would want to be driving near the fence on the straights and cutting into the corners reasonably late. That way you will be braking as you are turning the corner, and you will also be going fast whilst maintaining a tight line. Then accelerate down the straight near to the fence as soon as you feel that doing so won't spin you or drag you into the fence. Then repeat the process for the next bend. Thats the way to do it on most tracks, well it is for me anyway. Setups help alot of course. Start with the 'default' setup and then adjust wheel lock, depending on your controller, you want around 9 or 10 for gamepad, abit higher for keyboard and even higher for steering wheel. Then you want to sort out the weights, mainly wedge as this will affect the over/under steer on the car quite dramatically, then play about with the sway bars. If your using automatic gears then change your gear ratios so that you are only using two gears, and the final gear. Set 3rd and fourth gears 0.50 as this will prevent the car from going above second. Then play with your racing gear (in this case your second gear) and get it so it stays in that gear and does not shoot down to first round the bends, and so that you hit around 7000 rpm at the end of the straights. Final gear will also have the same effect when you adjust it, so you just need to play. Leave shocks and springs until your confident, a simple gears, weights, sway bars and wheelock setup should start you off nicely and get you clocking some near-on-pace laps.

Hope this helps

Hi Psyko.

I know where you're coming from, it's tricky isn't it? I've been through exactly the same problem as you. I had a decent setup for one track, which I tried to apply everywhere, but of course that doesn't work. Like you, the problem for me is where do you start when you have nothing to start with. I don't have time to sit there lapping over and over again, trying one thing then another.

Having said that I have done a certain amount of testing, and it certainly helps to make you a better driver - which as Micky says above is half the battle - it's not all about setups. The guide that Micky gave is a good one and I will also be using it as a starting point in the future. I always start with the gear ratios, locking into 2nd gear (does this work for every track? I heard otherwise....) and then as Micky says getting the wheel lock and the sway bars right helps with the cornering. Then I play with tyre pressures - I seem to find higher pressures good for F1, higher speeds and quicker breaking times. Beyond that I'm still clueless - shocks, springs, weights, no idea.

It would be nice, as you say, if there was a 'standard' setup for each track, for each formula, which we could then go away with and tweak if we wanted to. On the other hand, if someone's spent hours of their life getting it right, why should they give it away just so we don't have to bother?!

Good luck.

I always start with the gear ratios, locking into 2nd gear (does this work for every track? I heard otherwise....)

Yeh it works for every track, some tracks i only use one gear. However, you do lose accelaration this way, eg if you have 3 short gears before your racing gear you go up them quickly thus reaching a higher speed quicker. However, with auto you may find that it downshifts round the bend which slows you down quite considerabley.

It all depends what sort of driver you are, i tend to use two gears because i hit the fence (and other drivers, when i don't miss, lol) alot so one accelerating gear does the trick to get me up to speed quick enough.

Glad to see newbies at least asking for some direct advice with a detailed post, rather than the usual one sentence 'how do i setup my car?' post or the 'add me to msn and send me all your setups' post. Top stuff chaps

Hope this helps.

Sorry Rikard, always got the ones on the brain forgot we were talking multi formula here lol.

7000rpm at the end of the straights for F1s, and if i remember rightly the same for F2s, but im not so sure.

Glad to see newbies at least asking for some direct advice with a detailed post, rather than the usual one sentence 'how do i setup my car?' post or the 'add me to msn and send me all your setups' post. Top stuff chaps

Haha, yeah I've learnt my lesson here! And thanks to you guys too, for responding constructively without the sarcasm that seems to be a common response to 'noobies'. It's really helpful.

Regarding gears...I'm getting the impression that using auto will ultimately be slower than shifting manually. Now I've got the basics, I want to start doing this. But it seems there is a problem with the game recognising my pad setup.

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad, which seems to be fairly common. It has two trigger type buttons at the back, which I assume would be the ideal buttons for shifting up and down. But for some reason, the game won't recognise the one on the right (my Button 8) when I try to set it up. So I'm stuffed. If I go into the software for the pad, the button is recognised, so I can only think it must be a fault with the Heat game itself. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem, or knows a way around it.

Regarding gears...I'm getting the impression that using auto will ultimately be slower than shifting manually.

your not shifting all the time, when the race starts floor it get the rpm up and up shift, unless you crash out you should have it set not to change again........at least thats how i have it set.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..