Warp

Knobby

Hello

Right, My computer is netowrked up to a computer downstairs and its been on the internet while i race online with no problems at all BUT my sister is now round and decides to go on msn soon as i want to race and my ping goes up to 400+ however my dad says that her being on msn and other stuff has nothing to do with my high ping . Is he wrong and Do i need to kick my sister off?

Cheers (a very Angry )

Scott blowup.gif

Hello

Right, My computer is netowrked up to a computer downstairs and its been on the internet while i race online with no problems at all BUT my sister is now round and decides to go on msn soon as i want to race and my ping goes up to 400+ however my dad says that her being on msn and other stuff has nothing to do with my high ping . Is he wrong and Do i need to kick my sister off?

Cheers (a very Angry )

Scott blowup.gif

6948[/snapback]

Hi

I believe that what ever you sister does on a computer thats networked up to yours is going raise your ping, or at least make you warp a little. I don't think it can all be blamed on msn, my sister is on that most the time when im racing, and all i get it slight screen jitter whenever she gets a message, but it rarely causes warp. However, if she is surfing the web whilst im racing and goes on something with streaming audio for example or if shes downloading sumit, thats when the warp starts. Best check what shes doing, and maybe give her some guidelines on what not to do when your racing. Easier said than done, my sister isnt nice enough to listen to me, she'll download sumit whilst im racing just to spite me banghead2.gif

Hope this helps....

Cheers MoR

Cheers MoR ill just kick her off of diconnect her biggrin.gif

6950[/snapback]

LOL always an option if you have a deathwish! 042.gifrolleyes.gif

Having any kind of data other than the game transferring is going to affect your ping, and therefore your race (and that of other drivers near to you).

If your typical ping is 50, that means you should be sending/receiving data from the server 20 times per second. If your maximum virtual speed at the end of the straight is 70mph, that equals 31.286 metres per second.

If one of those twenty messages is interrupted, your virtual car will have travelled 3 virtual meters without the server knowing what to do (normally it's 1.5 virtual meters, but the server just missed a message). If the server can only get 2.5 messages from your client per second (because your ping is 400), that's potentially 12.5144 virtual meters between messages at 70 vmph (virtual mph). So the server has to use some kind of prediction, and it seem to me that that prediction mainly involves taking your current direction and speed (vector and velocity) and factoring in what way your wheels are pointed/what impacts should have been calculated from contact. It all adds up to a horrible mess on a short oval contact formula- on the big ovals, that kind of prediction is probably little different to where the car would be anyway, as there's not much in the way of sudden direction changes on a superspeedway.

Having any kind of other internet service running spells trouble- most game data and instant messaging data uses UDP for the main part, which has a lower priority than TCP. So UDP packets fight for a place in the queue (your race vs MSN downstairs) then something sends a TCP packet and all the UDP packets get hit with a large cricket bat and knocked into oblivion. By the time the queue has settled, or the next packet got through to the server, you've warped five other people into the dog track at Coventry.

Edited by JohnMid

Having any kind of data other than the game transferring is going to affect your ping, and therefore your race (and that of other drivers near to you).

If your typical ping is 50, that means you should be sending/receiving data from the server 20 times per second.  If your maximum virtual speed at the end of the straight is 70mph, that equals 31.286 metres per second.

If one of those twenty messages is interrupted, your virtual car will have travelled 3 virtual meters without the server knowing what to do (normally it's 1.5 virtual meters, but the server just missed a message).  If the server can only get 2.5 messages from your client per second (because your ping is 400), that's potentially 12.5144 virtual meters between messages at 70 vmph (virtual mph).  So the server has to use some kind of prediction, and it seem to me that that prediction mainly involves taking your current direction and speed (vector and velocity) and factoring in what way your wheels are pointed/what impacts should have been calculated from contact.  It all adds up to a horrible mess on a short oval contact formula- on the big ovals, that kind of prediction is probably little different to where the car would be anyway, as there's not much in the way of sudden direction changes on a superspeedway.

Having any kind of other internet service running spells trouble- most game data and instant messaging data uses UDP for the main part, which has a lower priority than TCP.  So UDP packets fight for a place in the queue (your race vs MSN downstairs) then something sends a TCP packet and all the UDP packets get hit with a large cricket bat and knocked into oblivion.  By the time the queue has settled, or the next packet got through to the server, you've warped five other people into the dog track at Coventry.

6952[/snapback]

He should try an get out more thumbup.gif2.gif

He should try an get out more  thumbup.gif  2.gif

6963[/snapback]

He does raise a very valid point about people using shared connections when racing online. We have all had races spoilt by warp at one point or another. Whilst appearing jittery on that persons screen for a little while this will appear on someone elses screen as your car being concrete or invisible or bouncing around a bit and spoiling the fun for the other affected by it by either knocking them around or not being able to hit them properly(think that's my main point!). Damage to cars in F2s via aero damage is increased 10 fold by a warping and/or conrete car and after that handling is poo! Thankfully jolt seems to have put a stop to a lot of warp issues but it still does happen and some may be due to the above reasons. Is using dialup an option for the other person sharing just while a meeting is on, may make it better for everyone else?

Cheers

Andy

Guest Scrapman53

I think it's very inconsiderate of people using shared connections whilst racing. At the end of the day we all pay for Jolt and a lot of us have upgraded to Broadband just to make the experience better. (amongst other benefits of broadband). Warp isn't any fun and in most cases can be stopped.

In saying that, it's not very often that someone warps compared to years gone by. thumbs_up.gif

PS. Not a dig at anyone, just trying to get a point accross.

I think it's very inconsiderate of people using shared connections whilst racing. At the end of the day we all pay for Jolt and a lot of us have upgraded to Broadband just to make the experience better. (amongst other benefits of broadband). Warp isn't any fun and in most cases can be stopped.

In saying that, it's not very often that someone warps compared to years gone by.  thumbs_up.gif

PS. Not a dig at anyone, just trying to get a point accross.

6994[/snapback]

I see your point Scrappy, but if you have a sister like mine you wouldn't argue with her rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to BT upgrading my line, should make things a little easier in that respect lol!

Cheers MoR

Looking forward to BT upgrading my line, should make things a little easier in that respect lol

Actually Mor it could make it worse, if your sister is a good p2p user and she downloads at 2mb it is going to take her longer to upload her fair share because the upload speed will not change, and it is the uploads that cause warp.

Get her to use newsgroups so large uploads in return are not needed.

Actually Mor it could make it worse, if your sister is a good p2p user and she downloads at 2mb it is going to take her longer to upload her fair share because the upload speed will not change, and it is the uploads that cause warp.

Get her to use newsgroups so large uploads in return are not needed.

7010[/snapback]

Oh Dear....... thanks Dino....... lol! Did you say u can get programs that i can use to throttle my sisters connection whilst im racing? Could be worth a shot!?

Cheers MoR

Oh Dear....... thanks Dino.......  lol! Did you say u can get programs that i can use to throttle my sisters connection whilst im racing? Could be worth a shot!?

Cheers MoR

7014[/snapback]

yea would be useful to stop her connection biggrin.gif

Hi

Nothing free I'm afraid Mor but I'm told Bandwidth controller is ideal if you are using ICS and you have the host machine, not used it myself but get a trial here

I use Netlimiter, but I have full control of my network and can put it on all machines and trust people not to disable it without asking first 011.gif get a trial here.

I see your point Scrappy, but if you have a sister like mine you wouldn't argue with her  rolleyes.gif

Looking forward to BT upgrading my line, should make things a little easier in that respect lol!

Cheers MoR

7001[/snapback]

hows about getting yourself a job and getting the internet in your own room lol bloody students 2.gif2.gifthumbup.gif

hows about getting yourself a job and getting the internet in your own room lol bloody students 2.gif  2.gif  thumbup.gif

7715[/snapback]

rofl.gif @ Trav

Thanks for the links Dino appl.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbup.gif

Cheers MoR

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..