Swearing on the site

mcrew

Excuse me for going into my miserable old git mode, but I must say that Im quite dismayed at the amount of swearing currently being posted on the forum.

Towards the end of last season, I recieved an official warning from MC for using abusive language towards someone in jolt, my crime was for using the abusive term, dare I say it again ' tit', and my reason for the ' abuse' was that some idiot was endeding races early in jolt, part of the interpromo meetings to be exact.

The only minor present at the time was Nemesis, and god knows, it didnt offend him as hes called me much worse himself! ;)

Now, Ive noted that two admin members have used far worse language, in posts on the forum! :blink:

Is there some ' double standard' whereby if your user name appears in dark blue or purple, that you are exempt from the no swearing rule, or is it just that no disciplinary action has been taken over these matters yet? :shrug:

Im not being picky admin, but surely it should be one rule for all regarding this matter, what with minors being able to freely view the forum?

Halrdly gives a good example now does it?

Hi M8

There is no special treatment for Admin. If you have seen any bad language being posted on the site there is a little "REPORT" button at the bottom of every post to draw this to attention.

Another accusation of special treatment for Admin when in reality most of our racing tends to suffer given the amount of time we devote for your enjoyment.

If you don't believe the REPORT button works fair enough, us Admin will just spend some extra time trying to find the posts your on about.

:2:

Im not just singling out admin members, as the amount of swearing by non admins has risen alarmingly too.

I was simply pointing out that admins swearing dosen't give/show a good example to the rest. ;)

But I will try that report button, just so I can say Ive used it! :rofl:

Thanks for giving us something to do m8 :042:

I'm surprised you can still see the screen let alone try and read posts at your age !

:rofl:

Its OK, Ive got some of them bifonocular type things from Specsavers...no strain on my eyes whilst browsing the web and ideal for perving at sunbathers at the beach too. :scared15::rofl:

Without trying to cause another debate here, I think Mcrew was just pointing out the amount of swearing going on and not saying that swearing is the worst thing to do and that everything else is OK.

A lot of people have been saying recently (and I can only speak for bangers as its the only Mod I race) how a lot of the regulars are leaving etc tec, well how are we supposed to encourage more people to join with that sort or language. Not having a go with this next statement, but its not hard to read through what you've just typed to make sure its OK to post is it?!

CC

Without trying to cause another debate here, I think Mcrew was just pointing out the amount of swearing going on and not saying that swearing is the worst thing to do and that everything else is OK.

A lot of people have been saying recently (and I can only speak for bangers as its the only Mod I race) how a lot of the regulars are leaving etc tec, well how are we supposed to encourage more people to join with that sort or language. Not having a go with this next statement, but its not hard to read through what you've just typed to make sure its OK to post is it?!

CC

I doubt most of the regular's have left for swearing reasons, mostly because we have a big bunch of numpties racing in the league.

I was invited to race at the F2 World Final meeting recently, and had some nump on pm to me moaning because I had dared give him a decent shot going into a bend for position!! I used to race F2 all the time and never had moaning PM's for hitting someone. Times change and so do people's attitudes it seems.

Anyway, that was going off topic, can't say as I have really noticed a drama with swearing.

Now, Ive noted that two admin members have used far worse language, in posts on the forum! :blink:

Is there some ' double standard' whereby if your user name appears in dark blue or purple, that you are exempt from the no swearing rule, or is it just that no disciplinary action has been taken over these matters yet? :shrug:

Im not being picky admin, but surely it should be one rule for all regarding this matter, what with minors being able to freely view the forum?

Can you please point us all in the direction of the two admin members who have sworn so it can be looked into and dealt with, if necessary, for the benefit of all the UK Dirt members?

Must say, much obliged to you for talking the time to look into these matters especially as you are no longer a paid up member of the UK Dirt leagues. Thanks very much, glad to know people like you are out there.

cheers

Andy

Can you please point us all in the direction of the two admin members who have sworn so it can be looked into and dealt with, if necessary, for the benefit of all the UK Dirt members?

Must say, much obliged to you for talking the time to look into these matters especially as you are no longer a paid up member of the UK Dirt leagues. Thanks very much, glad to know people like you are out there.

cheers

Andy

Have done so :scared15:

Like I said originaly, the swearing on the forum is not realy a good advert, espescialy for a family forum, even if it does seem that these days the kids now know and use far more swear words than the adults! :o:rofl:

I think you need to be a touch more realistic about the day and age that we live in.

Driving to work most mornings you hear the words "crap" and "[b][color=red]FILTERED[/color][/b]" used on radio one by chris moyles, plus plenty of "double entenders" aswell.

Always chuckle at mark and lard a few years ago in the afternoon with their "i'm not gay like but....." series. Best one was the i'm not gay like but i pack fudge in a fudge packing factory ..... etc etc.

I assume this isn't aimed at a family orientated audience either?

Towards the end of last season, I recieved an official warning from MC for using abusive language towards someone in jolt, my crime was for using the abusive term, dare I say it again ' tit', and my reason for the ' abuse' was that some idiot was endeding races early in jolt, part of the interpromo meetings to be exact.

The only minor present at the time was Nemesis, and god knows, it didnt offend him as hes called me much worse himself! ;)

Yep..........u got a warning for that.

Because we consider 'tit' NOT as actual swearing so we left it with a warning.

The warning is intended as a reminder of the swearingrules............nothing more and nothing less.

Minors has nothing to do with it............btw.

Halrdly gives a good example now does it?

I saw the 3 reported posts and the only one that stands out is the Aub one, but as with the word 'tit' we consider 'twat' the same.

About the other 2 posts........well,

Its OK, Ive got some of them bifonocular type things from Specsavers

Could u send me a pair over, cause no idea what u ment unless its the word 'ramrodding' which means 'u rod and when u see a opponent, u ram him' in the context that AndyH has put it.

What u make of it, is ur own choice.

TBH, this is all very confusing. :blink:

Kev posts this

" This is a public forum and anyone with internet access can read what is posted on here. Making posts containing strong/offensive language must stop. No more warnings will be issued. Any further posts containing such language will result in your forum account being suspended and/or banned. You have been warned."

And then Kendo posts this

" I think you need to be a touch more realistic about the day and age that we live in......Driving to work most mornings you hear the words "crap" and "[b][color=red]FILTERED[/color][/b]" used on radio one by chris moyles, plus plenty of "double entenders" aswell.....I assume this isn't aimed at a family orientated audience either?"

So basicly, where do WE stand? :shrug:

What constitutes bad/offensive language and what DOES? :shrug:

And IMHO, Chris moyles is not family entertainment, his only value to a lagging Radio 1 is to drag in listeners with his gutter language/abusive behaviour.

What do I know though, after all, I " need to be a touch more realistic about the day and age we live in"! :coffee:

To be honest, despite being just 16 myself, I feel the swearing on the forum has got slightly out of hand. I have used the 'report' button in the past, and it did work as far as I know (unless the member/s I reported were banned for another reason), but it would take hours to report all the swearing if I were to do it today.

In regards to Trash's post about why some of the more older drivers are leaving ukdirt, I am in complete agreement, F1 & F2 (especially F2) has got to the point IMO where if you give anybody a decent hit into a corner, you WILL be put up the wall/fence next corner and/or be moaned at afterwards. I for one very rarely complain about anyone hitting unless its dirty (turning right for example) and sometimes I even let that go. Sometimes it makes me wonder how many members of ukdirt have actually been to real life F1 or F2 meeting, they will then learn that it is actually just as much about speed as it is about using the bumper.

Rant over, I'll go and do my homework now.... :rofl:

Cheers

Kruiz

Edited by Kruiz 136

So basicly, where do WE stand? :shrug:

It all comes down to personal opinion.

Your opinion is that, as an example, Chris Moyles isn't family entertainment whereas the bosses of radio 1 and the millions of listeners do class him as him "acceptable". I persoanlly think he's what radio 1 have needed for some time, but that's a bit OT.

With anything, people's opinions vary quite drastically.

I believe Stoxnet's forum doesn't let you even post some quite "nominal" words, which is purely down to the owners of that site's opinion of what to establish as a swear word, whereas Kev149's filter on this forum is obviously a bit less strict as such.

In reality where we all stand is (and pretty much always have) is here. If you decide to use a swear word for whatever reason in chat, on the forum or in JOLT, you run the risk of getting acted against, be it through a complaint by a member or a member of admin bringing it up in the admin forum.

If you feel that a word or post is against the rules, report it and it will be looked at. The 3 that you raised McCrew have been looked at and MC has added some comments to the reports, I personally agree with all he has said.

It's not 100% consistent or perfect, live with it. I've never seen an application to join admin say 'I am especially looking forward to monitoring every single post on the forum, chat transcript and JOLT server log for the all examples of the use of swearing as I feel it should be stamped out'. If someone did say that I would probably vote against them joining.

I am surprised you didn't raise this post, as its about as tenuous as the others that you did. I don't think admin posts are subject to the word filter that members are. If the 'filtered' had come up on my original post (the one above) I would have changed the word, and I will look out for that in future.

Edited by bathyboy81

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..