How did you get involved with Heat?

AlecTPR

Just asking for all your stories about how you all came to be part of this happy group of racing individuals. appl.gif

Also, how did it all start?

I know there was DTRSC and then it moved to Nascar heat, but wondered what the history was before.

thanks in advance

Edited by AlecTPR

Just asking for all your stories about how you all came to be part of this happy group of racing individuals. appl.gif

21421[/snapback]

Skeet posted a message on the nhr site in late 02 about a poss nhr game, i was interested from the start with it, when the template was relesed i painted the 997 motor and sent it off to jayw, it made it into the game, when all was relesed i still didnt have a copy of nascar heat, dino(i think) it was pointed me in the direction of some amercian site which had heat for sale, it arrived 2days l8r thumbs_up.gif and i joined national heat, then onto ukdirt when they merged, basically thats my story lol

I starting afer seeing it in short circuit a couple of years ago , when i first started i was in the nat rods and lch but soon realised ( as did everyone i raced with lol ) that contact was the way for me so last year i stuck with the bangers this year i have just started racing the ssc and f2s aswell as the bangers . When i first started it was a guy named sim902 who showed me the way to go and what to do as one of those novices we all moan about now lol , so i guess i owe all those hours  in front of this bloody computer to him pmp my wife has threatened to leave more than once ( she keeps changing her mind  blink.gif ) And then i got into the skin painting and rendering which keeps me busy most of the time now when im not racing

I typed 'UK DIRT' in google hoping to find some good videos loool!

Only joking! I was looking for Freddys SOD game when i found the Uk Dirt site. Started racing bangers and still only racing them now!

Edited by Lee186

I found a link off michaels F1 stock car race pages :-

www.f1stockcars.co.uk

for uk dirt.

Tried to get my Dad to have it as a Farthers day prezzy as my computer at the time wasnt quick enough he said he wasnt intrested so that screwed that idea up.

My missus started using the computer to chat with her mates and to do some course work for a qualification she was working towards and was moaning that the old computer was to slow      Lighten.gif

" The way we can sort that is to have a new computer to help you with you course work BABE"

She got one of her work mates to built us a new computer and at the same time i was sending off for the Nascar Heat game with all the add ons, just over a year later shes still doing her course and im on Pc every night either chatting to friends ive made or practasing on UK dirt F1.

Guest Trash

Good question, my answer goes quite a long way back.

When DTR came out and I had played it offline for a while, I used the Gamespy thing that comes with it to find some competition online.

I noticed one UK driver using the Gamespy servers who was Bozz 282. We got chatting and he said he was thinking about trying to start up a UK league for the game, which I was all for. He kept in contact, a website was made and the first ever UK Dirt league was launched using the Late Models in DTR. I think we had around 15 drivers for that first year along with a few Americans who would cop the hump whenever anything happened (it was non contact racing at the time). I was the Race Manager whenever Bozz couldn't make it and thoroughly enjoyed getting involved.

After that came DTRSC using the Sprint Cars and contact racing, then track modifications started and then we had an F1 Stock Car chassis put into the game for the next season and it was great fun! The warp could sometimes be problematic but was an excellent Thursday nights racing (hence why F1's still run on Thursdays, they came first and all the other mods came later and fitted around the original night of Thursday).

Then came an F1 made for Nascar Heat and everyone was racing round Martinsville until some UK tracks were made!

It seems hard to imagine that one conversation with Bozz in an online game server one night about a small league that might be formed, led to us both going to Florida together with a couple of mates to watch real sprint cars and late models and he has been a damn good mate ever since.

Hope that helps out with the history a smidge, it's not the full rundown like, but it's the best I can do off the top of my head!

Cheers

Trash (250 ever since day ONE)

When my Mother-In-Law got a pc in about October 2000, I spent a couple of months surfing all the stockcar stuff as it was all completely new to me. And also buying some Nascar game and playing that. I was blown away with it all.

I think it was an email on the Oval Racing newsgroup that mentioned that the UK Dirt league was about to start with a new game called DTRSC. I saw that email in December and was off Xmas shopping to Bradford (plus a few beers of course) with my other half so had a look for the game and was lucky to find a DTR/DTRSC double pack for sale in a shop.

Within a week or two I was joining Bozz and a small handful of others (probably Trash too) in a test night, and before long the league meetings started. To say I was hooked was an understatement.

I spent the following few months til April racing on my Mum-In-Laws pc, and she lives 10 miles away. Our daughter was only a few months old, so Grandma saw an awful lot of her  thumbup.gif

I ordered a pc and when it was installed it took a while to get used to the idea of being able to just hop on for a bit of practice instead of driving 10 miles  rofl.gif

I have never really got into the setups thing, but it didn't matter so much in those early days as it was all new to everyone, so I became one of the top boys for a while.

If you don't believe me having seen me getting in your way recently, have a look at Dino's brill link to the old UK Dirt site, have a butchers at the Cowdie results for 7 June - Big Al takes 2 heats, the Final and comes 4th in the GN on one lap handicap.

Plus I am still convinced I scored more points than supposed top-scorer Craig round Bradford on 21 June, but that's another story  rofl.gif

Hi,

I found about this when I was on one of my frequent visits to my local library's internet cafe in 2003. Was just surfing around the oval racing sites and I come across a link on the short circuit site for the online hot rod racing. Followed that and found there was F1's as well  thumbup.gif

I was already getting a PC at the time so I ordered all the stuff for ukdirt (Nascar Heat), got the PC on the monday, sorted the broadband out during the week, Booked in for the F1 Long Eaton meeting on the Thursday and that was it..only missed one meeting since.

Been superb tbh, been gaming since the C64 days but nothing beats racing online rather than offline.....

Cheers

Grasser#233

I found out something about the possibility of driving F1 in the www around 2003 and since than tried to get that game by downloading it... due of lack time i haven´t searched very much for buying it somethere till beginning of that year i decided to buy it via ebay.com. Funny story is the download finished after 1 and a half year on the day the package arrived with the game. After that i searched uk.dirt again that i have visit sometime without big going through and start installing all mods. After one month i decided to join the league and till than i´m thniking how to get a set up done within the less time between working and sleeping.

I had been waiting on a Stock Car game for years, always moaning about why one had never been made, until one day my dad said "have you played that stock car game".

I nearly hit the roof with a million questions, where? what? why? when?

In the end i got it, practiced a bit but then left it for a while.  I finally returned and started in the ssc league.  I then left again for a bit and only returned a month ago and have started racing the in the F2's

I found a ukdirt bit for sprint cars by accident and then dl all the tracks. Then emailed bozz about the tracks and asking if any more were in the pipeline and he emailed back adn said ' we are moving to another game' and sent me the link to brisca heat. i got the nascar heat stuff and that from orn just before my birthday about 3 years ago i think. been playing it ever since.

cheers

sparky

In 2002, I couldn't go to as many F1 meetings as I would have liked, but I was kept up-to-date with the real-life events as I viewed Michael Froggatt's excellent -  Paul Harrison #2 website. On one such visit, I came across a computer generated Stock Car of Willie's wedge car and thought "How realistic it looked". It didn't dawn on me then that it was a computer racing game, I just thought it was a model.

I then followed the link to "Brisca Heat",  & was completely taken by the idea of a "Stock Car" raing game (Knew nothing about Nascar until I came across this - raced Grand Prix cars mainly offline) and sent me monies to ORN and shortly after the CD's arrived.

Next thing was to update my old PC with another second hand but better PC and booked in for my first meeting in July 2002 and been racing "On & Off"  rofl.gif since!

Mostly enjoyed "Wolfie's #190" late night servers - learnt alot in those  thumbup.gif

i got involved a couple of years ago thru my m8,ssc driver Steven Clark who had saloon heat installed so a few months later i bought a pc,downloaded hot rods and only practiced at Ipswich.

As the months passed by i was getting a bit bored so decided to look in to the online side of things and my 1st online meeting was F1`s at Bradford in late 2003,i`ll never forget it coz i was totally bricking it,i was so scared of mucking up someone`s race,now i cant imagine life without ukdirt.

I'd been playing DTR online for a while, on and off, and then DTRSC. I found UKDirt while trawling for DTRSC related stuff. I think I joined in somewhere not long before the proper stock car chassis came out (I remember races full of Will Yarrows). At the time I raced as Spiff, #82.  I wandered away from UKDirt for a while, and when I checked up, everyone was on Nascar Heat and there were already plenty of UK/Dutch tracks made. I bought that and joined back in. The car I use now is the same car and paintjob I used when I rejoined in the Heat era, though I made a couple of fancier ones when I went up the grades one year.

Another old'un here. Racing online with DTR, I think I first found out about the original league racing in Dirt Modifieds through the Oval Racing mail group, and joined in pretty quick.

Been lurking ever since.

Edited by jamieg285

In 2002 I found it from a link on rob speak's website by total accident, put it this way it's the best accident I've ever had   thumbup.gif

21450[/snapback]

Roflmao that is exactly how I found it too  thumbup.gif

2.gif

Lakey

Found out about ukdirt bangers from a link on trash's site before it shut down,started before jolt when it was FREE ohmy.gif but must say it has improved alot since going on jolt......just checked out dino's link....quality.....but can 1 of you old boys explain that ladder thingy??   blink.gif

Guest Trash

The ladder thing was like a match race league.

You could challenge people to a one on one event in your server and send the results in.

I see I had an excellent record of 2 events and 2 losses.

I dont remember making any challenges but I think I accepted challenges off of 77 Reb and 282 Bozz who I think were Silver and Gold tops respectively at the time, no wonder I didn't win!

Reb was definitely the man to beat in the DTRSC leagues, he bloody flew  but I remember some terrific races with him around Coventry which was a cracking track.

The best thing about DTR and DTRSC was the fact that because it was originally a dirt game, then the quickest way round was getting the back end out and then getting the wheels in line early for the straight, just how it should be and which isn't as easily done within the confines of Heat. Skegness was also a great track with the bumps on each bend which you hit sideways whilst feathering the throttle.

Setups were not as important, driving style was a lot more superior and would win you races. The dirt tracks all had different "grooves" which were the quickest line, Crewe especially was a hard track, the groove was right on the outside next to the wall and always led to some hairy racing. I can't leave Bradford out either, drifting into the first apex, letting it slide up the banking sideways and then chopping down to clip the second apex on the way out, great stuff!

Don't forget Mildenhall, Trash. That was a great track but had an annoying black flag set up on the bends.

I still can't beleive it is my fault that Mav is here!  wink.gif(only joking Mav)

Edited by Michael2

Guest Trash
Don't forget Mildenhall, Trash. That was a great track but had an annoying black flag set up on the bends.

I still can't beleive it is my fault that Mav is here!  wink.gif(only joking Mav)

21572[/snapback]

Ah yes forgot Mildo! Excellent track, very easy to overcook it and spin yourself out on the tight bends! Was it Scunthorpe for the 99 lapper? That was a great little track too.

i was just on the internet and when i was going through the favorites and i came across the ukdirt website which me dad did not tell me about 3.gif

so after looking on it i really wanted to join but at the time i was on dialer so i got onto me dad if i could have broadband on my computer in my room.

I think about when there were 4 meetings left i had got my broadband and joined ukdirt

Edited by davey boy

21572[/snapback]

As there is quite a few tracks then that we don't have now - Scunny, Skeg etc etc

Are they not able to be used in UK Dirt at all even with some modification ?

Wondered if they could be used off season for a fun league ??

Oh and Michael - we all have a cross to bear m8 but I think you have been forgiven by the masses  thumbup.gifrofl.gif

Guest Scrapman53

Found out about DTRSC from Dave Rennie of ORN. Thought it was great racing sprint cars offline. Then a few weeks later he phoned me and said "guess what I've just found?" and that was me hooked. April 2001 was my 1st meeting that I can remember, and I was shaking like a leaf. lol. Plenty of warp on my 56k connection (the game was bad for it) meant I wasn't too successfull with that game, but I really enjoyed it and got a few race wins.

PS. Other tracks I can remember were Birmingham and he NEC indoors!

I got my copy of Heat and by that time I think the 1st track was made (Long Eaton?). It was great at the start of the Hea mods, because Moz went to town on the tracks and was   building them like there was no tomorrow. We used to practice in servers till the early hours just to try and get better setups than others. Great stuff.

found a link off home page of rollingstart around one christmas period so i thought i have a go, at time it was on dtrsc, think fairly  early stage of ukdirt dtrsc style as still were using the sprint cars, can remember winning 99 lap championship around scunny with it high banking and very tight turns n long straigts.

Race dtrsc on regular basis although think i was more an annoyance to everyone than any good.

Moved on to heat and can remember being 1st person to win a competive belle vue final with jok and prydie chassing me down, all finsihing with in a second. About only f1 race i have won.

Raced F1 for following year or so as it was only option and then moved onto bangers when they came out and stuck to them.

Edited by Splodge

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..