Buxton loading problems

Last night i was in practicing and Sparky was going to join me but he kept getting an error that PEAK could not load for HORIZPEAK. This is when you load into the game and try and load the actual track.

Every other track works fine.

I got Sparky to bring his PC round to mine, i uninstalled rF and reinstalled but it was the exact same. Now i think the problem lies in his graphics card. I have been trying to update the drivers but it suchs an old card that it's now pretty obsolete. I am trying to find out if drivers are going to make a difference or if there is something in the Buxton track that his graphics card just can't handle. His PC ran the old Buxton fine, just not the new one.

His graphics card is an ATI X600, and he runs Windows XP.

I have tried everything i can possibly think of so far. I tried to download a driver from AMD's website for a "legacy" driver for his card, but the link was broken to the driver so i have sent them an email.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last night i was in practicing and Sparky was going to join me but he kept getting an error that PEAK could not load for HORIZPEAK. This is when you load into the game and try and load the actual track.

Every other track works fine.

I got Sparky to bring his PC round to mine, i uninstalled rF and reinstalled but it was the exact same. Now i think the problem lies in his graphics card. I have been trying to update the drivers but it suchs an old card that it's now pretty obsolete. I am trying to find out if drivers are going to make a difference or if there is something in the Buxton track that his graphics card just can't handle. His PC ran the old Buxton fine, just not the new one.

His graphics card is an ATI X600, and he runs Windows XP.

I have tried everything i can possibly think of so far. I tried to download a driver from AMD's website for a "legacy" driver for his card, but the link was broken to the driver so i have sent them an email.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Won't let me edit my reply but this seems to have been a problem dating back more than a year with no solution:

http://www.ukdirtforum.com/index.php?showtopic=35903

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Allan, just to mention that I still could not race this season at Buxton with the same problem as last season, with the updated track. My pc is onboard graphics which I can't do anything about and it's the only track that won't load, using DX9, tried every graphics setting etc. Glad you managed to get sorted though.

Hi Allan, just to mention that I still could not race this season at Buxton with the same problem as last season, with the updated track. My pc is onboard graphics which I can't do anything about and it's the only track that won't load, using DX9, tried every graphics setting etc. Glad you managed to get sorted though.

Hi Al, sadly the only way was changing the card. Although you set RF to DX9, if your card/onboard does not support DX9, it will just default to the lower version and this is the reason it won't load.

Sparky's card wasn't old but it obviously just didn't support DX9.

Can you not pick up a cheapish card that supports DX9 Al?

Unfortunately a few years ago I bought a Dell Dimension 3100 as it seemed good value for the spec you got. What I didn't realise till after was that the graphics are onboard and it's one of the few 'modern' pc's that does not allow a separate Graphics card to be fitted! You live & learn...

The backwards layout of dell motherboards is a pain so upgrading that wouldn't really be an option I don't think. Also be careful with the power supply because it is wired differently if I remember correctly.

So doesn't look good for upgrading the other components you have got either :compbang:

Unfortunately a few years ago I bought a Dell Dimension 3100 as it seemed good value for the spec you got. What I didn't realise till after was that the graphics are onboard and it's one of the few 'modern' pc's that does not allow a separate Graphics card to be fitted! You live & learn...

Really? I did not know that. That is completely stupid on Dell's part.

Graphics cards now use pci-e slots but think I read that your dell only has pci slots (if any)which was an older technology (think they were agp before pci). If you do have a free pci slot you might be able to find a pci card for sale on ebay but I haven't checked if there are any still around. They will not be very powerful cards but might run Dx9? :shrug:

Graphics cards now use pci-e slots but think I read that your dell only has pci slots (if any)which was an older technology (think they were agp before pci). If you do have a free pci slot you might be able to find a pci card for sale on ebay but I haven't checked if there are any still around. They will not be very powerful cards but might run Dx9? :shrug:

PCI cards were before AGP so you definitely won't find a PCI card that will run DX9, at least i would be very surprised.

Thanks for the replies lads. As only Buxton is a problem, I will just leave things as they are, until I eventually buy a more powerful pc.

The funny thing is, Buxton worked ok for me (and one or two others) until it's last update, and I am pretty sure on the previous version I had to change to DX9 setting on rFactor Config for it to work. Oh well, don't think we'll ever get completely to the bottom of that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..