Hard-Drive Failure

MichaelG - 38

Hello.

Need some serious help here guys! I can't put up with my mums AMD K6 56MB  machine anymore!!    Right heres the problem, I suspect a virus has got into windows kernal file and damaged it badly...

2 weeks ago....I had a powercut and had to turn my machine off by the wall. Turned it on the following day went through POST fine, displayed the XP loading screen..then crashed, had a big blue screen with an error message reading "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME...WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER"

I have tried booting the machine in every other mode it has and it won't go anywere!  I have also tried removing ram sticks and replacing them but no go  thumbs_down.gif

OK...so I have tried just about everything and its not gonna budge. Only alternative left was to reformat the hard-drive, thought that was gonna be simple enough but not on this machine...

Set the boot devices in BIOS as:      1st  CDROM     2nd HDD      3rd Floppy.

Restarted the PC, it didn't even search for a device on the CD just booted the Hard-drive as normal!  shrug.gif

I then just set the first boot device to 'CDROM' and disabled the other two. This time it did search the CD but displayed an error messae reading "INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Obviosly tried it again and again and different CD'S, but no luck...I also tried booting from a floppy but displayed same error screen.

Has my hard drive just gone and died on me?  Im at breaking point here...

Thanks for reading guys and hope one of you can help  thumbs_up.gif

Something similar happened my old K7 board donkeys ago. BOTH BIOS' screwed up (it was supposed to be dual bios in case one went wonkey) and after flashing the bios its worked the best ever since, so try that - instructions etc should be on the manufacturers website thumbup.gif

Hello.

Need some serious help here guys! I can't put up with my mums AMD K6 56MB  machine anymore!!    Right heres the problem, I suspect a virus has got into windows kernal file and damaged it badly...

2 weeks ago....I had a powercut and had to turn my machine off by the wall. Turned it on the following day went through POST fine, displayed the XP loading screen..then crashed, had a big blue screen with an error message reading "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME...WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER"

I have tried booting the machine in every other mode it has and it won't go anywere!  I have also tried removing ram sticks and replacing them but no go  thumbs_down.gif

OK...so I have tried just about everything and its not gonna budge. Only alternative left was to reformat the hard-drive, thought that was gonna be simple enough but not on this machine...

Set the boot devices in BIOS as:      1st  CDROM     2nd HDD      3rd Floppy.

Restarted the PC, it didn't even search for a device on the CD just booted the Hard-drive as normal!  shrug.gif

I then just set the first boot device to 'CDROM' and disabled the other two. This time it did search the CD but displayed an error messae reading "INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Obviosly tried it again and again and different CD'S, but no luck...I also tried booting from a floppy but displayed same error screen.

Has my hard drive just gone and died on me?  Im at breaking point here...

Thanks for reading guys and hope one of you can help  thumbs_up.gif

24850[/snapback]

Had the same error come up on mine a few weeks ago even after reformatting , after a few hit and miss tests turned out the motherboard had given up

good luck

Edited by Jarry164

Guest Scrapman53

If you need to format and want to save anything from your HD, put it in another machine set up as a slave drive and copy what you need off it before formatting it.

When you set your boot device to CD it doesn't always just automatically boot, sometimes you have to press a key to boot from CD when it tells you.

By the sound of things that HDD may not be alive for very much longer so if i was you i'd stick another one in and transfer all your important files across if it will even let you.

Had an HDD go corrupt not so long ago, it's not fun!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..