Newbie help.

Guest KayT

Hi, I am just starting out with this. So far I have discovered I seem to be - well - dismal I would say. But anyway, at the moment I am getting severe understeer on the corner entry (tar track - Cowdenbeath). Are there any pointers for beginners on driving style, or car adjustments? I suppose I'm baking too late, but it doesn't seem like I am. Tried a flick to bring the back round instead of the understeer. That was amusing. Hello wall.

Could do with a bit of hand getting the basics. I was okay on Gran Turismo, but not so clever with this!

As harry has said uksom website has a guide but also ukdirt are currently half way through a free superstox winter season which will resume early next month these are similar to the f2s and are a great start to help with the f2s register a number book in come race meeting day the server will be unlocked to all and any help can be passed on in server from us other drivers there is always plenty of help come race night

I can set up a server one day and you could join it. I would join it and hopefully some other UKDirt guys to help you out over Xmas. I am going to be bored anyway so why not. Do a Xmas meet up

Edited by HarryGrahamGaming

First of all are you using a wheel or game pad? To help turn in make sure all driving AIDS are off eg traction control, abs etc. To induce slide going into the corner raise the rear right ride height one click at a time.

Thanks for the replies. All helpful, thank you.

The Xmas meet is a kind suggestion, but I'm worried about still being awful, and getting underfoot hideously. Spoiling efforts of others to have some proper racing!

I am making progress though, after a day pretty much solid at it. I've found, in no particular order:-

Can't get on with the Bingley. Drives like a yak on roller skates as far as I can tell. (We had a Clio Williams which it reminds me of. Everyone else said it was great. We thought it was the worst pile of proverbial ever. I don't know who got it after we traded it in, but they've seen a few ditches on the way to the scrappy.)

Tried the RCE at much the same time I was beginning to feel a little more dialed in, and it feels seriously nice now. Controllable. Tidy.

At Cowdie (where I'm learning), once the laps are up, it doesn't let you off the track into the pits. But boy does it penalise you if you keep going round. Is that how it's meant to be?

I started with the driver aids turned off as I knew if I planned to do proper meets, then it would be bad to start in arcade mode.

I have let it do auto gears though as rFactor seems oblivious to the gears on the Logitech GT wheel for some reason. I guess I've got to fix that for the meets as the AI will override all settings (except car set up) for meetings?

Anyway, can't decide if the virtual racing is a substitute for wanting a Superstox, or will just make me want one even more. That'd be awkward.....

Edited by KayT

Please don't be worried about other drivers, everyone started somewhere. Xmas practice session sounds good if admin allow it. I'm also using Logitech gt steering wheel and it seems to work ok. I'm probably not the best person too advise as I'm only a white roof myself. If we can get a server sorted there will be plenty of people to assist you. Danskin danw dbeckitt twisty and Ben chambers have all helped me through the past few months and often help others. You will have to make your own personal changes to the set up as everyone is different.

Hi,

Seeing as this has gone a bit off topic and you have asked some valid questions so eloquently, I’ll try and help you below…

First of all, I would suggest you use the Superstox mod to learn with first of all, it’s more forgiving than the F2 and less technical. It also has a good default setup which you shouldn’t really need to touch while you’re sorting other things out like your wheel setup etc.

You mentioned that you are using a Logitech Driving Force GT I believe? You want to make sure you’ve got that set up properly as well beforehand. There’s a really good guide (I have to say that because I wrote it) on our website HERE. You want to pay particular attention to the degrees of rotation and also make sure you have realfeel installed as well. With regard to changing gear etc, You can redefine the key settings as well in rFactor on the controls page and make sure you save it as well once you have redefined your keys (Gears, throttle etc etc)

Driver aids. You want to make sure they are all off apart from Autoclutch. If you ever join one of our servers, they will all be set to off apart from autoclutch anyway so if you want to practice offline, you need to make sure you’re on the same page. I also wouldn't bother racing against the AI, just use a single car practice session

Hi, I am just starting out with this. So far I have discovered I seem to be - well - dismal I would say. But anyway, at the moment I am getting severe understeer on the corner entry (tar track - Cowdenbeath). Are there any pointers for beginners on driving style, or car adjustments?

I wouldn’t use Cowdenbeath as a track to learn on initially, it’s a track we race a lot admittedly but there’s a real knack of getting around there quickly and consistently. I would suggest you use Northampton as a starter as it’s a bit more forgiving and you can concentrate more on the car than the ever present wall.

Can't get on with the Bingley. Drives like a yak on roller skates as far as I can tell. (We had a Clio Williams which it reminds me of. Everyone else said it was great. We thought it was the worst pile of proverbial ever. I don't know who got it after we traded it in, but they've seen a few ditches on the way to the scrappy.)

Tried the RCE at much the same time I was beginning to feel a little more dialed in, and it feels seriously nice now. Controllable. Tidy.

While I have never driven a yak on roller skates, and congratulations on achieving that, one I thing I will say is that all of the cars have the same physics regardless of chassis choice. Are you possibly picking a shale car by accident with the bingley? Otherwise, they are the same as every other car/yak.

Anyway, can't decide if the virtual racing is a substitute for wanting a Superstox, or will just make me want one even more. That'd be awkward.....

You should certainly try at least a practice before a Superstox meeting (Next one will be in the New Year) or something to see how you get on. You won’t holding anyone up or disrupting meetings going by your demeanour on here so far.

You might want to give the NZ Superstocks a go as well if you like a bit of crashing without worry, mayhem in that is encouraged!

Hi,

Seeing as this has gone a bit off topic and you have asked some valid questions so eloquently, I’ll try and help you below…

First of all, I would suggest you use the Superstox mod to learn with first of all, it’s more forgiving than the F2 and less technical. It also has a good default setup which you shouldn’t really need to touch while you’re sorting other things out like your wheel setup etc.

You mentioned that you are using a Logitech Driving Force GT I believe? You want to make sure you’ve got that set up properly as well beforehand. There’s a really good guide (I have to say that because I wrote it) on our website HERE. You want to pay particular attention to the degrees of rotation and also make sure you have realfeel installed as well. With regard to changing gear etc, You can redefine the key settings as well in rFactor on the controls page and make sure you save it as well once you have redefined your keys (Gears, throttle etc etc)

Driver aids. You want to make sure they are all off apart from Autoclutch. If you ever join one of our servers, they will all be set to off apart from autoclutch anyway so if you want to practice offline, you need to make sure you’re on the same page. I also wouldn't bother racing against the AI, just use a single car practice session

Hi, I am just starting out with this. So far I have discovered I seem to be - well - dismal I would say. But anyway, at the moment I am getting severe understeer on the corner entry (tar track - Cowdenbeath). Are there any pointers for beginners on driving style, or car adjustments?

I wouldn’t use Cowdenbeath as a track to learn on initially, it’s a track we race a lot admittedly but there’s a real knack of getting around there quickly and consistently. I would suggest you use Northampton as a starter as it’s a bit more forgiving and you can concentrate more on the car than the ever present wall.

While I have never driven a yak on roller skates, and congratulations on achieving that, one I thing I will say is that all of the cars have the same physics regardless of chassis choice. Are you possibly picking a shale car by accident with the bingley? Otherwise, they are the same as every other car/yak.

You should certainly try at least a practice before a Superstox meeting (Next one will be in the New Year) or something to see how you get on. You won’t holding anyone up or disrupting meetings going by your demeanour on here so far.

You might want to give the NZ Superstocks a go as well if you like a bit of crashing without worry, mayhem in that is encouraged!

Thanks for the reply. Very useful. I have been trying the Superstox cars today and I see what you mean, the default set up is pretty good. The gears and autoclutch setting is a useful bit of knowledge, thanks.

Because I have done a lot of laps of Cowdenbeath, it now feels great. A few of the others - not so much.

Anyway, getting there! Thanks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..