Converting .tga to .tex

Crazy Craig

I just got my computer working again (thanks to PC World  rofl.gif ) and decided to try PSP7 for the first time. I have painted a skin and flattened it and saved it as a .tga file. When i do what it says on the ukdirt skin painting guide ( open msdos and type mktex car475.tga car475.tex it says 'mktex' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

can anyone help please?

Cheers

CC

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem, in that the black window opens for a split secon and then shuts again.

I have downloaded both the above programs/files and if I open the black window manualy, the screen reads

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>textures MS-DOS Batch files

'textures' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Any body got any helpful suggestions.........before I open that bottle of Jack Daniels thats sat in the kitchen?

Edited by crewie

I have been having the same problem, in that the black window opens for a split secon and then shuts again.

I have downloaded both the above programs/files and if I open the black window manualy, the screen reads

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>textures MS-DOS Batch files

'textures' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Any body got any helpful suggestions.........before I open that bottle of Jack Daniels thats sat in the kitchen?

You have to put the mktex program in where msdos looks for it that is

in ur owner file where thats where mine looks 4 it and this shud work  thumbup.gif  

its under c://Documents and settings/owner

Hope this helps

You have to put the mktex program in where msdos looks for it that is

in ur owner file where thats where mine looks 4 it and this shud work  thumbup.gif  

its under c://Documents and settings/owner

Hope this helps

Well Ive just got in and tried this and.........still the same, the black page flicks open and shut and thats that! blink.gif

Oh well, here goes with the J.D.

wink.gif

Edited by crewie

Well Ive just got in and tried this and.........still the same, the black page flicks open and shut and thats that! blink.gif

Oh well, here goes with the J.D.

wink.gif

(assuming you're on xp) click start, then go to all programs, accessories and open the command prompt window there. type cd then the folder your skins in, make sure as mentioned that mktex is in the folder too and away u go  thumbs_up.gif

Hmmm...

So you've got MKTEX file in the same folder as your tga file, say its i a folder called Skins within  My Documents...

On XP, I think when you load up the command prompt, its into your local area..

So you would type Chdir mydocu~1/skins/

enter

mktex car777.tga car777.tex

enter

should work...

NB, when changing directories, command prompt will only accept names of up to 6 characters, and you gotta take out any spaces. Anything more than 6 characters, you replace the remaining characters with ~1 as above.

i downloaded the cmd.here file from microsoft as above.

i have the mktex file in a folder in my documents called mktex. copy and paste the carxxx.tga file into the mktex folder so you have the carxx.tga file and mktex file next to each other.

press the back arrow once so you are back to my documents.

right click on the mktex file and select 'open command window here'. the dos window should then open.

type the same as you have above- mktex carxxx .tga carxxx .tex then press enter. there should be a pause and a new command line appear underneath.

close the window and open the mktex folder, there should now be a carxxx.tex file next to the other 2 files.

hope this helps.

ps. what program are you using to paint skins as i have had problems with psp not saving tga files properly. so i save my files as a tga using photoshop.

cheers, damo

Thanks for the replies. Ive have done eactly as you have said, and when I run the command now, it tells me that it cannot open the tga file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\mktex>mktex car18.tga car18.tex

can't open tga file: car18.tga

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\mktex>

I have even tried saving the file as a photoshop, PSP and a photosuite file .

Its got to be somthing wrong with my paint package. If I run cunnys program, I can convert the tga file that he had in the conversion folder. If I try to convert any skins that I have saved, it just tells me

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\tga_2_tex\tga 2 tex>mktex car18.tga

car18.tex

No mapfile present

Unsupported image type 10

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\tga_2_tex\tga 2 tex>

I have tried this with cunnys original tga in the file, and with it deleted.

Are you saving the tga as 24bit uncompressed

oh yes. I just tried to repaint the original file that cunny had put there. Once saved, I could then not convert it, exactly the same as I can not convert any files of my own that I have painted.

Are you saving the tga as 24bit uncompressed

oh yes. I just tried to repaint the original file that cunny had put there. Once saved, I could then not convert it, exactly the same as I can not convert any files of my own that I have painted.

thumbs_up.gif

Well I dont know what I have done, but I just switched off my pc and switched it back on again, tried it and now it bleedin works! rofl.gif  2.gif

Thanks to everyone thats given me advise,  I should be OK now...............until I switch my pc off! shrug.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i got the same problems crewie has. also tried everything mentioned above.

Dino you where asking crewie if he saved as tga 24 bit uncompressed?

When i save a skin i can only pick one tga in psp7 called truevision targa, is that the correct filename to save the skin?

I allso get the "Unsupported image type 10" message when trying to convert a skin to tex file

I really don't know what i do wrong.

Please help.

Thanks.

p.s. Shutting down PC and start up again doesn't work. Allso tried that...LOL

Edited by Dennis Jacobs

I found it now, if you select: save as, a new window opens where you can choose folder etc. When you click on the options button in that window, you can choose bit depth (24) and compression (uncompressed).

Thanks for you're help guys

Edited by Dennis Jacobs

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..