Laptop trouble

Dazza290

Ok, thankfully, its not my computer/laptop this time!

My Mum bought an Acer laptop from Tesco about 3 months ago, which for the money looked fairly good value. We have had no trouble with it what-so-ever until last week when it froze.

Now, whenever you go to turn it on, it just comes up with ''Operating System can not be found''. I have tried running the System Recovery disk's from BIOS, but as usual they are about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe.

Any ideas as to what it could be lads?? Sounds like a similar problem I had with my PC, the only way i got over that was to buy a new hard disk drive, so does it sound like mum will have to do the same with this?

Any help would be more then appreciated

Dazza

Hmm, if it's under warranty, you could try going the customer support route.

I'd be tempted to try formatting the hard disc, but you'd lose all your data then, and you'd probably need a USB stick with DOS on it to boot with.

Wonder if the Acer I bought before chrimbo will last more than three months ohmy.gif

been down that road with my old laptop, cost a fortune on phone calls. 3 times mine was a way, new hard drives etc, and still no joy, eventually got it replaced, much to the disgust of currys. If its like the currys warrenty, they have to fix the problem within 28 days or replace the laptop, dont be to keen to get it away, from the first day they log your problem, is when the time starts. once they get it, they'll have it back to you asap, but if the problem is still there, put it of a while before you call them back, hence spinning out the 28 days... thumbs_up.gif

if you get it fixed fare enough, if you want it replaced, be prepared to sit on the phone a while.... banghead2.gif  banghead2.gif

You could try checking the date in the bios. I have an old ibm lappy which needs a new cmos battery and comes up with the same error from time to time,XP does not like to start with a date 20 years before it was programmed.

I'd be tempted to try formatting the hard disc, but you'd lose all your data then, and you'd probably need a USB stick with DOS on it to boot with.

Wonder if the Acer I bought before chrimbo will last more than three months ohmy.gif

Would you have a link to the DOS where you can put it on a USB stick, just incase we wanted to format the hard disk if something did go wrong?

Or is it the same as the normal floppy disk stuff, only save it to the stick instead?

Would you have a link to the DOS where you can put it on a USB stick, just incase we wanted to format the hard disk if something did go wrong?

Or is it the same as the normal floppy disk stuff, only save it to the stick instead?

Have you not got an XP set up CD? Just set the bios to boot from the CD. I wiped my last Laptop (Packard Bell) and started up with this CD in the the drive and it reinstalled XP. If the HDD is faulty it shouldnt let you format it.

Ok, thanks for the info again lads, took it back last night and got money back. Thinking of putting some more money towards a better one now  2.gif

He doesn't have to format now he took it back and got the money back that had been paid for it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..