Forum Changes

Kevin

Gallery  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whilst moving the forum to a new server (which is now complete), I took the opportunity to do some upgrade work.

Below is a list of the major changes that have been made.

Software security fixes: 50 on the forum side, and 12 on the gallery side. You will not notice many of these fixes but I thought it worth doing anyway, better be safe than sorry!

Gallery - See Poll

When I upgraded the forum in January I set up various galleries in line with how the forums were setup, with the intention of not having individual member galleries. These new galleries have hardly been used so I thought it time to ask the members which way they wanted to go, hence the above poll.

There are 2 options:

1. Keep the members galleries (basically as it was before the upgrade) and remove the forum style galleries.

2. Keep the individual galleries (forum style) as was setup in January and remove the member's galleries (Dec 2006).

If the members galleries are kept there will be a link in each member's profile to link to their gallery (you need to post a picture in your gallery to activate the link) and a link will be next to any topic you post (in a few days!).

Random Images from the Gallery

You will have noticed that 5 images picked at random from the gallery now appear on the board index. This used to happen before the forum was upgraded in January. This time, however, you can turn it off if you wish.

To turn the feature off click on 'My Controls' then choose 'Board Settings'. There is an option in there to set to 'No'.

Polls

It is now possible for full UKDirt Administrators to see who voted in a particular poll.

Moderators List

The list of forum moderators that was shown on the board index has been removed in order to save queries on the database and put less pressure on the server. It is still possible to see who the moderators are by clicking on the link at the top of the board statistics table (bottom of the main page).

File Manager

The file manager has been completely removed as it was putting far too much stress on the server. Attachments can now be added to posts (zipped up of course). All the files that were in the file manager will be added to the respective posts in the various topics, however this is going to take me quite a while to do. If you need a file from the file manager then please PM me and I'll add it for you. People should not re-upload files that were in the file manager. That is not a good use of webspace and/or bandwidth.

Profile Photos

This has also been removed. Member's profile photos can now be viewed from the 'Members List' link.

Members List

This link has been enhanced to include members profile photos and also a direct link to PM a member. Some members may have already noticed this change as it was done several weeks ago but never documented.

Replies

When looking at a list of topics inside a forum, it was possible to click on the number of replies column and a pop-up box would appear listing all the people and how many times they had replied to that topic. This has been removed in order to reduce stress on the server.

Automatic Topic Pruning

Various topics (except 'pinned' topics) will be pruned automatically from now on. All the topics in the server announcement & RSS feeds forums will be deleted after 15 days. The pruning will be done at 4am every Sunday morning.

Signature Limitations

There are too many people with large signatures on this board which disrupts the reading of any topic. I have, therefore, reluctantly imposed some limitations on signatures. These are:

1. The number of lines is limited to 5.

2. The number of images is limited to 1.

3. The filesize of this image is limited to 50k.

4. The dimensions of this image is limited to 450(w) x 150(h) [pixels].

These limitations only apply to new signatures, however I would like everyone to comply within the next month or so.

RSS Feeds

The RSS feeds were turned off several weeks ago. This was due to the server being offline so often and I thought this was partly the cause. I've decided to turn them back on again and monitor the stress on the server. If all goes well more may be added, however, if all does not go well then they will once again be turned off.

Downloads

A new subforum of the main league forums will be created over the coming weeks. These subforums will contain all the downloads currently available from the UKDirt site. These links will only be available when the UKDirt site is offline.

IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU COULD PREVIOUSLY ACCESS OR SEE THAT IS MISSING, OR IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE FORUM SINCE THESE CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM.

Cheers Kev for all the time and work you put into maintaining the forum, and getting it all live again when something outwith your control goes wrong.

keep up the good work - its always appreciated

defo m8 thnks for putting all the time and effort in :thumbup:

thanks for all your work

Just one thing i hope i understand right

So there is no more download area... this will make things a bit difficult to download if you got a computer crash.

Can interested things be placed on the main side on a specific topic like maybe other intersting nascar heat stuff

Things like

Ministox Heat for example

The Superstox car

The Jag Sound file for UK Dirt Bangers

I just had to reinstall Nascar Heat and all mods and it is a bit difficult to get everything together.

Or maybe somebody know a website to place that stuff for download that don´t delete the files after sometime

the ukdirt web site has all the downloads that are required for ukdirt mods.

so maybe you won´t any longer allow questions for the not ukdirt supported mods here????

If you won´t support GT Legends or stuff like this its fine but Monistox, Robins, Superstox is stuff especially for this tracks and that kind of sport we all love

the ukdirt web site has all the downloads that are required for ukdirt mods.

so maybe you won´t any longer allow questions for the not ukdirt supported mods here????

If you won´t support GT Legends or stuff like this its fine but Monistox, Robins, Superstox is stuff especially for this tracks and that kind of sport we all love

Thats not what i meant, i was purely referring to the ukdirt games files that can be downloaded from the ukdirt web site, if there is a crash.

The forum is primarily for ukdirt. The web spaces is paid for for the use of ukdirt files etc.

Im not saying you wont get the odd file that aint ukdirt, but ukdirt is what its meant for.

If possible, we'll direct you to where you can get the required files if we know where they can be found etc, so yes, the forum can still be used for support for other mods if its necessary. And i doubt we'll stop people uploading other stuff to the forum.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..