Track Feedback

AndyG

Both of the current tracks are very well implemented and great fun to race on!

I have a couple of tiny improvement suggestions for the next versions:

1. If you select "Use Track Default" for the start method then you get a standing start (should be rolling of course).

2. Ipswich dirt doesn't have the dust particle effect like Sexbierum - for fun I just used the TDF file from Sexbierum which appears to work ok (but would cause online mismatches I assume).

Both of the current tracks are very well implemented and great fun to race on!

I have a couple of tiny improvement suggestions for the next versions:

1. If you select "Use Track Default" for the start method then you get a standing start (should be rolling of course).

2. Ipswich dirt doesn't have the dust particle effect like Sexbierum - for fun I just used the TDF file from Sexbierum which appears to work ok (but would cause online mismatches I assume).

(Can't edit my post?)

3. Ipswich AIW appears to be missing a visible race groove.

Ipswich dirt doesnt have the dust to help with FPS. Sexbierum doesnt have a ton of objects around the track, Ips is loaded 24/7. So I decided not to make it one big dust cloud like Sexy. You will get TDF mismatch, and if mismatches is on, you wont be able to race in the server. Since Sexbierum is a true field track, to go as real as possible without killing fps.

As for Ips, not sure why that is. Had the groove when I zipped it up for release, released it, it was gone. Just one of them goofy fubars with RF or I was hitting the bottle to hard that night :coffee:

Never thought about the starts, since there is the option to check rolling. I assumed most people would just check rolling if thats what they wanted.

Edited by freew67

Fair enough. Although FPS is good at Ipswich for me even with the dust (and 36 cars), although I do have a high spec machine. Lower spec PC owners can turn down the special effects option of course too.

Here's an AIW with the groove added, and a race groove texture which I prefer to the ISI default - unzip to Ipswich\Ipswich folder (backing up the AIW first).

Ipswich.zip

Fair enough. Although FPS is good at Ipswich for me even with the dust (and 36 cars), although I do have a high spec machine. Lower spec PC owners can turn down the special effects option of course too.

Here's an AIW with the groove added, and a race groove texture which I prefer to the ISI default - unzip to Ipswich\Ipswich folder (backing up the AIW first).

Thanks Andy, Cow and I made Ips before I built my monster computer. Some of the beta testers didnt have the greatest of comps, and with 20 cars on track fps was ok, just couldnt take much more. On the real shale tracks, dust will be there, just not to the extreme of Sexbierum. Its hard to judge how much and how thick the dust is from videos. After my trip to Coventry this year, I know first hand... I think I still have some of the track in my camera bag.

If anyone downloads that aiw, please backup your old one, you will more than likely get mismatches. If you race online, you will need to convert back to the old one.

Thanks...

The tracks.

I have raced at Ipswich stockcars mainly with a brief spell at Sexbierum.

- The tracks feels very narrow and small. Especially when racing with the AI there is hardly any room on the straights.

- The shape of the track is good, especially the difference in turns 2 and 4 compared to 1 and 3.

- I am not too happy with the start from out of the pitlane. I would love to start on the track straight away. This safes me some speeding credits :-) plus I don’t have to hassle to get on the track first.

- In general I like the track but it could be a little bit larger, especially as the real deal is larger as well. You tend to get the idea that you are racing at Buxton imo.

The above points are in no way criticism towards its builders but are meant as feedback, just like the topic says.

Dragon

The tracks.

- The tracks feels very narrow and small. Especially when racing with the AI there is hardly any room on the straights.

- The shape of the track is good, especially the difference in turns 2 and 4 compared to 1 and 3.

- I am not too happy with the start from out of the pitlane. I would love to start on the track straight away. This safes me some speeding credits :-) plus I don’t have to hassle to get on the track first.

- In general I like the track but it could be a little bit larger, especially as the real deal is larger as well. You tend to get the idea that you are racing at Buxton imo.

The above points are in no way criticism towards its builders but are meant as feedback, just like the topic says.

Dragon

Hi Dragon, Remember me now????

The tracks have been built from overhead pics so i cant see how the size would be incorrect.

There isnt enough room in the middle of most the tracks for all the start positions.

Hooty

Erhmm, yes I remember you but I haven’t got a clue what you mean by it?

Good thing about the overhead pictures and as a guide they work well. When I build the Belle Vue New track I used an overhead picture as well for the general shape but once the track was finished and after racing there with other cars on the track I am the first to say that the track in general could have been made wider. It would have benefited the on-line racing. In the same way I think of Ipswich, nothing against the track, just giving feedback.

I am not sure what you mean with that second line about not enough room?

The tracks.

Dragon

Sexbierum was designed with the help of a track official. Since the shape of the track varies from race to race, what we did was a general length and width of the track. Which got full approval from the track official, as well as the track owner.

As for Ipswich, the track was made from an overheard shot, and measured for as accurate reading as we can get. We had Aussie and a few others who have been there, and are very familiar with the track look over it. Then we double checked our overheard and made adjustments. Since I live in the USA, and only have been to Coventry, I have no idea. I have only seen the track from pictures and some video. I had to rely on the Beta team to help me out.

As for starting on the track for practice, I dont see that happening and here is why. You start in your garage stall, and when you wreck out, you get put back in your garage stall. So the cars sit in the infield that are out of the race, and out of the way. If we put them on the track or on the edge, you would constantly be hitting parked cars. ISI_BABYFACTORY type that in chat during testing, never worry about loosing credits again... :) We also had to make the pitroad like that so the ai would not go crazy.

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php...=496&pos=22

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php...=597&pos=35

http://www.mkpics.smugmug.com/gallery/3139240#172200732-M-LB

As you can see, with 2 cars on the straight, there isnt a hole lot of room on either side. I cant find the orig pics I worked off of. They showed the F1s sitting on the front straight.

We appreciate the feedback. We knew the mod and tracks would be picked apart and looked over. F1 Stockcars to you, is on the scale of Nascar in the USA. We love our racing!!! We all want the most accurate cars and tracks. This way, we can race the real thing, and not have to pay the bills to fix them ;) Sexbierum and Ipswich were the first 2 real tracks we made for Rfactor. It was a big learning process for us all. We cant learn from our mistakes, if no one voices their opinion. Hope this clears up some questions...

Guest Scrapman53

When Ipswich was first released for testing, I thought it was a bit narrow for racing on. But that was probably because a lot of the Heat based tracks we use are too wide as a lot of them weren't done from overhead pics.

It didn't take long to get used to racing on a track that "felt" too narrow though, and now I don't even think about it. There's plenty of room to pass a car that's on the outside.

Dragon. If the pit gate at Ipswich was in a better place, then I'm sure Jeff would've built the pits where they should be, but this isn't possible with some tracks as you would end up hitting the post next to the gate in practice if you went a bit wide exiting the bend.

re-Ipswich:

For me the inner yellow curb feels way too high, I hav'nt been there for a few years so forgive me if they raised it.

Also a Pit Paddock area would be great with future tracks although I cant see a problem with the current setup....just think it would be nice is all :)

re-Ipswich:

For me the inner yellow curb feels way too high, I hav'nt been there for a few years so forgive me if they raised it.

Also a Pit Paddock area would be great with future tracks although I cant see a problem with the current setup....just think it would be nice is all :)

As for the curb feel to high, thats a little to picky in my book... :) Just messing with ya, lol The tracks are as accurate as the information available. Unless we get someone to measure the track, we work with what we have. 90% of the tracks in England have very very little information about them. How do they measure them to determine length? Whats the banking? How tall is anything? Proper lap times? Over in the USA, most tracks measure the same way, for NASCAR sanctioning, and usually provide banking and lenghts of turns/straights. I dont want this post to become a "In turn 4 the tree is usually dead, and has been brown for years" post. I do not plan on updating Ipswich (unless I really messed something up), but do appreciate the feedback. Dont take this the wrong way Marc, just dont want this post to get of course. Remember, we do this for free, for fun, and for everyone to enjoy.

Pit Paddock, already tried it, and it doesnt work (Ips). With the position of the gate being on the straight, there is no safe way to join the track. Once practice or a race starts there, the gate is shut, so you wouldnt be able to join (real track). I made it where you could join the track, but not enter the pits. If you would be able to enter the pits, then there would be no wall there, and during the race you could get hit into and thru the gate. Just doesnt work. The ai will just merge straight to the racing grove, and if your coming off 4, they will not stop and let you pass. So in order for everyone to get some practice, we pit and park them in the infield. Birm, thats a different story. The true pit gate is in the corner, so it is possible to merge safely while practice is going on. We shoot for real as possible, then when real doesnt work, like Ips, we go for what works best. Trust me, I wanted the Pit Paddock idea to work, just wasnt feasible for this track. I have it all setup back there, just couldnt use it :)

Edited by freew67

:thumbup: Cheers mate, the curb is the ONLY thing I can find picky about the track which is saying something, its not a major problem anyway but thought I'd mention it ;)

Agree with the paddock thing, again not a major problem and its nice and quick to join from the infield which is why i like it.

Now go start on Cowdenbeath for me :thumbs_up:

After being released only a week or so, Already I've seen a few drivers wall riding round Ipswich making them a couple of seconds quicker a lap. Is there any way of modding maybe the middle of the bend fence so this isnt possible?

p.s I dont mean you Tosh as you were only seeing if this was possible.

Now if I only knew what "Tosh" meant.... :)

Ips was bascially finished and we looked into the issue. We decided we would work on wall riding with the rest of our tracks. Its an RF problem and not a ton we can do about it. Birm we are trying one way, Bell we are trying another. I figure in a league setting, this wont be an issue. Driver will just get penalized.

Please, please post comments and suggestions. Some we have thought of, some we havent. The more information we can gather, the better we can make our tracks. Im sure someo f you dont know what can or can not work in RF. Im sure I dont either! As for Cowdenbeath, I was thinking more Skegness... :) both tar and shale... Pictures please...

I have a few projects I need to finish, then will get started on new stuff. Have to finish the old stuff first.

Now if I only knew what "Tosh" meant.... :)

Tosh means trouble, in the context mac mentioned (tosh is the driver of car 874 ;))

I thought over the kerbs point Marc, but on the whole, given that there's marker tyres inside the kerb and then the pitlane, the higher kerbs still work just in case anyone gets a pit penalty for jumping the start that they can then 'adhere to' by dipping a wheel over the kerb in the right place ;) - on the whole i'd say from an online game point-of-view the higher kerb has more advantages than disadvantages :)

Guest Scrapman53

Just a thought as this happened to me a few nights ago. After I pushed someone wide and then made a pass, the next bend I got followed in from the same person. I hit the wall around mid bend and the person made their way around the outside with their foot planted to the floor, wall riding for about the last 3rd of the corner. We'd have to watch out for this in the league as well, as it's clearly using the wall to their advantage.

The track is spot on for me Jeff. The wall riding is just something we will have to keep an eye on. :thumbup:

My guess is you've already tried this and my memory is pretty vague with regards to rFactor now ( I've not touched it for ages) but isn't there a friction setting for the armco in the tdf file? Or do the wall riders actually have the outside wheels riding on the wall, so upping the friction wouldn't help.

Anyway, I know how much work you have all put into this, well done :appl:

Edited by Nick M48

After being released only a week or so, Already I've seen a few drivers wall riding round Ipswich making them a couple of seconds quicker a lap. Is there any way of modding maybe the middle of the bend fence so this isnt possible?

p.s I dont mean you Tosh as you were only seeing if this was possible.

ha ha np mac, i only did it so that the main guys in the race who helped develop the game saw it their and then, its a pity something couldnt be done about it but it looks like it cant which is a bummer :thumbs_down::unsure:

this could be a worrying point imo for noobs and idiots who are far behind and may try and do this when racers or a steward isnt watching in a proper race or qualifying at this stage. we all cant watch everybody when were in there and stewards also.

cant we get the cars to lift on 2 wheels and ride up the wall when its been on the wall for so long say 3-5 seconds long :shrug:

If i remember when AndyG first mate Long Eaton he made it as near as possible to the orriginal shape and length (Help me here Andy) but people complained it was too narrow due to the fact that online racing just isnt as each to hold the car in a straight line and need out of other way, hence the other tracks being a little wider making them a little easier to race on.

I'm not sure if this is a track adjustment or a server one,at Ipswich if you get spun onto the infield you get stuck with a stop go penalty for exceeding pit speed limit. Can the speed limit be removed or raised a lot higher.

I guess the same would happen at sexbierum if you got punted over the banking.

I'm not sure if this is a track adjustment or a server one,at Ipswich if you get spun onto the infield you get stuck with a stop go penalty for exceeding pit speed limit. Can the speed limit be removed or raised a lot higher.

I guess the same would happen at sexbierum if you got punted over the banking.

I am not 100% sure, since I dont know full F1 rules (silly American), but flags are really a non issue during a race. Not talking about the basics, but the black, blue, etc, etc. If that is right, just turn off the flags on the server, since there is no point to them. If I remember correctly, thats what we did during testing. This way, fly over the bank, speed in pits, dont matter, the flag wont affect you.

Nick, we tried, and it did nothing. Went from 1, 100, 1000, to 10000 and didnt affect the car one bit. Cross your fingers for RF2 I guess. Here is the problem we face, we make it where you can wall ride, then what if you get punted into the wall, hit the section we put in for the riders. The comment on the wall riders, someone said, admins cant always see it, but hey, RF has great replays... :thumbup:

Edited by freew67

in all fairness this wall riding can be as much bad as it is good if u get put away with a big hit u can come out ok and return the favor next bend thus creating good racing on the other hand u will always get cheats going round the wall but as freew says there are always replays

the same goes with the new kings lynn track on heat you can ride the wall on that pretty easy with no bad effect no offence MoR

as for the width of the track ive had some good side by side battles with mike scrappy and mac so its defffo possible and seems fine to me :thumbs_up:

cheers aub

Myaby try adding a "post" at the start of the bend, ive drawn a diagram to show what i mean. Your not likely to hit the fence here, but if your riding the wall then you are, might be a solution?

Obviously it doesent need to be visible, or stick out very far, jsut enough to catch you if your riding

post-1012-1185907823.jpg

Edited by The London Allstar

Myaby try adding a "post" at the start of the bend, ive drawn a diagram to show what i mean. Your not likely to hit the fence here, but if your riding the wall then you are, might be a solution?

Obviously it doesent need to be visible, or stick out very far, jsut enough to catch you if your riding

Is that drawing to scale? ;) We are trying that with Bell, see how it goes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..