Spedeworth tragedy

Chewy102

Roy Eaton of Spedeworth Intl. (East Anglia) Ltd. has confirmed the very sad news that Steve Spinks (V8 Stock Car 505 ) was killed in a an accident at Yarmouth Stadium on Sunday 29th May. Roy sends his condolences to Steve's family.

I'd like to send my condolences too, although I don't know the man and neither was I there, but when an oval racer dies doing something he loves, it touches a heart string and makes you realise that the sport that you partake in (either one side of the fence or the other) is a dangerous one.  Steve - I'm thinking of you!

My condolences to steves family as budge said being local i have watched him race for many years and cant beleive whta has happened to him . I just got a call from my bro saying that dean wood was informing drivers as they enter ringwood . I must admit i dont normally worry about my bro racing but this has brought it home abit .

tonites ipswich evening star

Ipswich stock car driver dies in crash

May 30, 2005 11:25

AN Ipswich stock car driver's family is in mourning today after he was killed in a crash at Yarmouth Stadium. See tonight's Evening Star for the full story.

post-25-1117460091.gif

The Ipswich Advertiser has the following article

May 30, 2005 09:28

FAMILY and friends of an Ipswich stock car driver are in mourning today after he died following a racetrack crash.

A bank holiday crowd watched the tragic smash happen just before 8.45pm yesterday at Yarmouth Stadium in Yarmouth Road, West Caister.

It is believed the driver lost control of his car, before it hitting the safety fence and a wall head-on.

Norfolk police have launched an investigation into the cause the accident following the fatal crash.

Two ambulance crews were the first of the emergency services to be despatched to the scene.

When they arrived they discovered the stock car driver was trapped in his vehicle and called fire crews in to get the man released.

Ten firefighters from Great Yarmouth arrived at the track shortly afterwards. They had to used hydraulic cutting gear to remove the roof of the car so the paramedics could get to the driver, who was unconscious at the time but still alive.

A 10-minute rescue operation by the fire crews led to the paramedics being able to assess and give emergency treatment to the man at the scene. He was then taken to James Paget Hospital in Gorleston, but subsequently died.

A spokesman for Norfolk police today said they were called to the stadium at 8.50pm and confirmed an inquiry was now under way. He said: "A police officer did attend the scene and there will be an accident investigation. There will also be a local authority investigation."

It is believed the Health and Safety Executive will also take part of the inquiry. No one from Yarmouth Stadium was available for comment today.

Shocking news,

My deepest thoughts with family, friends, fellow racers and all involved in stockcar racing. I know the pain you must be going through.

We will all meet again some day at that big stockcar track in the sky....

Not wanting to spread rumours on the internet, so this is said with caution and is as factual as we were made aware today....

The Legends drivers meeting (at NIR) was informed of Steve's death by Paul Gerrard, Director and Meeting Steward of Incarace and he asked for the drivers to pay their respects to a fellow oval racer.  He also informed us that the cause of the crash was due to the throttle cable sticking open.

RIP Steve Spinks

Official Press Release as taken from Rogers UK Oval Racing

30/5/05  Press release from Spedeworth East Anglia......

It is with great sadness that I report the death of Steve Spinks, V8 Stock Car Driver number 505, who was killed in a terrible accident at Great Yarmouth Stadium last night, 29th May 2005.

Steve was only 46 years old, married with one daughter. He has been racing for Spedeworth for some 18 years, in several different formulas and is a very accomplished driver. Steve has raced at the Yarmouth circuit regularly throughout his racing career and was therefore very familiar with the track. His death is a huge loss to Oval Racing and to Spedeworth.

In the V8 Stock Car 2nd heat Steve was leading the race by over half a lap. We believe that his throttle cable became jammed open, and that his car skidded into a fence post. There were no other cars involved in the incident, and no one else was injured.

First aid and help from officials was administered within seconds and the ambulance arrived quickly, but unfortunately Steve could not be revived.

We have not received the official Coroners report and therefore cannot comment on the exact nature of his injuries, and the actual cause of death. We shall issue a further press release when this is confirmed.

At present all we can say is that we are shocked and immensely upset, and our hearts are with his family and friends. We extend our thanks to the Emergency services and to all the Officials at the track who acted quickly and with sensitivity and great professionalism during the incident.

On behalf of

Spedeworth International (East Anglia) Limited

Roy Eaton

Managing Director

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..