New F2

Mart 870

One or two of you already know i`m building a new F2 for this season and i thought it was time i shared a couple of pics with you. It`s been a long time in the making due mostly to the fact that i`ve built all the suspension parts etc myself to save cash but its coming along nicely now.

The chassis is a higgy copy built by Rob Scott of elite fame using his own style of rolll cage and has been stood around unfinished for a few years until i got hold of it where it stood around for another 12 months lol

Second pic is when i bought it and the first taken today after me making the brake pedal and master cylinder mounts and the steelwork where the bonnet goes.

post-92-1232913609.jpg

post-92-1232913633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mart 870

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good.

Any plans to visit scotland this year. F1 weekend maybe ?

Nah sorry, it`ll be strictly local tracks (northampton, Brum, buxton and possibly the odd Bristol if i`m feeling flush!) For what it costs to get the car upto Scotland i can do 4-5 local meetings.

I`ve had a few views on this thread but not many replies, i was thinking of doing regular updates - what does everyone think?

Superb stuff mart, although it'd be wrong if you didn't plant Si231 (f2 31) if you two get to the same meets!....in fact, think of the cheer on the backstraight of NIR!!!

Are you going to have a wing this year or just the number fin again?

Only managed to get in the garage for a couple of hours on Saturday this week but i`ve made up a clutch pedal and mounted it in the car, while i was doing this Dad removed the steering rack from the car i had shortened earlier and cured a problem with it being stiff and notchy. while he had the rack out we had a rethink on how i have mounted the steering rack so i`m going to make some new mounts for it. Not really much to talk about this week and pics but i have got a few pics from the progress i`ve made.

The first job was to make mountings and fit the gearbox/bellhousing, this was done first as there was already a gearbox mount lug on the chassis and by using this lug it determined where the engine would sit in the chassis as i had cut the engine mounts out to use the solid ones out of my old car.

post-92-1233605167_thumb.jpg

I managed to find a complete set of front suspension off a higgy on ebay cheaply but when i tried to fit it although the top wishbones fitted the bottom arms were way too short so i had to fabricate my own using the shorter ones as a pattern and the correct length for the new ones. I was given a jig to make my own wishbones but i found it hard work to get them right so i cut the mounts off the chassis and used randall wishbones (they are the same length but use much narrower mounts) which are cheap and easily available. I also bought some randall cortina upright adaptors while i was at it, cortina uprights might not be the most fashionable now in F2 but i have loads of them so its the cheaper option for me!

post-92-1233605883_thumb.jpg

I`ve took pics of pretty much everything ive done one the car but i cant find where the pics are! These include -

fabricating the brackets for the rear axle, it uses the original higgy trailing arm mounts but with a panard rod instead of a watts link and revised shock location.

Making a strong enough mount on the chassis for a panard rod, easier to adjust roll centres and much easier to replace when i bend it!

Rear seat support, head plate and upright shocker mounts all in one structure.

This pic has most of the stuff on here but isnt very clear.

post-92-1233606561_thumb.jpg

Once i`d got the seat where i wanted it i could get on with the controls and first up was the steering column and wheel. I had to buy a column kit off of Randall as i`ve always had problems with the ones on my other cars and wanted to get it right. After that i made a start on the pedals which is where i`m at now.

Thanks for looking.

post-92-1233606938_thumb.jpg

Ive just seen this thread, although i don't really follow F2's i do occasionally watch them if they're on and this is brilliant Mart, being able to see one being built, you're fabricating your own and not just chucking money at it. Top effort keep up the good work :thumbsup:

A busy week in the garage for me, i`ve been in there most nights after work plus a couple of hours on Saturday and Sunday.

First off -

Dad pointed out to me last time in the garage that the seat support had nowhere for the belts to loop over before they go through the seat! The rules state that the seat belts must be supported by a bar as they go through the seat so that they dont pull down on the seat and try and pull it off its mounts.

Here`s the original suppport....

post-92-1234734424_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..