New F2

Mart 870

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next was back to the pedals.The brake and clutch pedals i made from scratch and used the measurements for pivot points from the pedals of the old car. The throttle pedal is straight out of the old car with a few holes drilled to save a touch of weight.

I`d mounted the brake pedals, bias bar and master cylinders previously so this time it was the turn of the clutch pedal. There was already a mount for the clutch pedal but it was too far over to the left as the car was designed to have an extra brake pedal sat next to it for left foot braking, since thats now banned i cut the mount off and moved to over slightly to where the new pedal had a bit more room. I fabricated a bracket for the clutch cable, measured the distance between pedal and bracket on the old car and welded it into place. I cant see if it works yet as the dumy engine doesnt have a flywheel in it let along a clutch!

Last pedal was the fun pedal. Once again i cut the old mount off and made a new one, then sat in the car for ages to make sure my short legs could reach fulll throttle! Once i was happy and finished making brum brum noises i welded the mount into place and cut a small section of angle iron to make a bracket for the throttle cable to run in. The angle iron i used was a little on the hefty side so a session on the pillar drill gave it more holes than a swish cheese, i could then weld it to the chassis. The throttle cable was connected to the carb and tried and it worked! a small spring was found in a box of bits to use as a return spring on the throttle and fitted giving a nice positive feel to the pedal.

The prop was fitted from the old car too today and a harness ring was fitted to the front seat support for the 5th belt.

Finally today before i was called in for my dinner i cut off the old rack mounts and make a couple of new brackets and tacked them into place on the chassis.

post-92-1234736138_thumb.jpg

but it was too far over to the left as the car was designed to have an extra brake pedal sat next to it for left foot braking, since thats now banned i cut the mount off and moved to over slightly to where the new pedal had a bit more room.

Why is that now banned Mart?

but it was too far over to the left as the car was designed to have an extra brake pedal sat next to it for left foot braking, since thats now banned i cut the mount off and moved to over slightly to where the new pedal had a bit more room.

Why is that now banned Mart?

Another thing they tried to slow down moodie with :thumbs_up:

I'm gonna e-mail brisca see if I can found out why it was banned, I hate right foot braking!!

Good work Mart :appl:

Wheres dave harley when you need him. Hes the one that got it banned ;)

Edited by Walker363

Left foot braking has been banned for about 4 years now and i think they said they did it to slow the cars down! I dont really see the problem with having it myself although i couldn`t get on with using one.

Since loads of drivers of all grades were using it, i cant see how they did it just to slow Moodie down.

I'm gonna e-mail brisca see if I can found out why it was banned, I hate right foot braking!!

Good work Mart :appl:

Wheres dave harley when you need him. Hes the one that got it banned ;)

Well for one he isn't a member on this forum and are you sure he got it banned, I doubt it because he was left foot braking himselfand I know that for a fact.

Edited by F2-Fan

it got banned the year sworder won wf couse he was goin bannans at buxton when he bent his dk sayin that it was couse he never used right foot brakein then whent and won wf lol barry goldin did laps doin left foot and right and no diffrance in lap times so no idear why it got banned

For those who wern't there due to not being a registered driver at the time, could you enlighten me please?

It must be something really terrible to be kept such a secret, as nobody seems to know! All I hear is its maybe this, its maybe that, there must be a reason for such a strange thing to ban?

For those who wern't there due to not being a registered driver at the time, could you enlighten me please?

It must be something really terrible to be kept such a secret, as nobody seems to know! All I hear is its maybe this, its maybe that, there must be a reason for such a strange thing to ban?

Kruiz its been banned for 4yrs get over it lad :)

Kruiz its been banned for 4yrs get over it lad :)

Yes but WHY? Its the only one rule I can see no obvious benefit to anything.

Kruiz when you get your first drivers newsletter on the back will be the telephone numbers for the people on the committee, they are the people you need to ring, some of that committee are still on the committee from when left foot braking was banned. They are the ones that can help you better than anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay but he`s a small update,

Since the last update i`ve remounted the steering rack but Dad still isn`t happy with the smoothness of the rack so he`s going to shorten another rack for me so we can try that one.

The frame over the engine made to support the bonnet/protect the engine has been cut off in the interests of weight saving (although if i stay off the beer i`d gain the biggest weight saving!)

The prop hoop has ben fabricated and welded to the chassis, in the past i`ve always had one bolted to the underside of the seat, this one is welded to the chassis meaning i dont have to mess about removing the seat if i need to change the diff.

The battery, fuel tank, fuel pump and fuel regulator/fuel filter have all been mounted on the inside for some inside weight. While on the subject of inside weight i bought a section 6mm plate to run down the inside nerfrail of the car giving plenty of inside weight to aid cornering, now i read on the Ftooz forum that the average sheet of 6mm plate weighs in at around 7kg which isnt too much extra weight to be carrying around but when i weighed my new sheet, it weighs 14kg!!! so until i`ve build the car up and got it on some scales without the plate it`s staying off, inside weight is all well and good on the bends but you still have to pull it down the straights!

post-92-1236371188_thumb.jpg

Next up was to make a start at panelling, this is something i`ve never done before so i was a little nervous when i first started attacking the virgin alloy sheet with the nibbler! I was advised to make a cardboard template for the panel first to get the shape then trace it onto the alloy sheet to guide cutting so here`s the template on the car.

post-92-1236371637_thumb.jpg

I`m not going to show the panels until they are all done mainly incase i make a balls up of them and have to do them again!

Other news ,

I fetched 4 8" banded steels wheels for the back of the car on Sunday from long time sponsor WAYNEHELLIWELLRACING and i have also gained one possibly two new sponsors, firstly METALSDIRECT will be supplying us with all the new steel/alloy for the car and all going well SIGNSPLASTIC will be supplying and fitting the vinyl signwriting to the car.

Mart..... stick another bar (horizontal) on that nerf, just to protect that fuel tank a bit more, think about gaining some inside weight, and won't be adding much.

Looking good m8 :appl:

Edited by Budge313

do you mean one running along the nerf rail underneath the main one.......... Yes m8 on the centre line of the tank, then stick your 2mm plate on the front, it may seem a bit ott....... but would rather see that than an accident waiting to happen, 2mm plate is strong enough, but strange things happen at 60mph and steel bumpers do have sharp ends and could pierce it...

Edited by Budge313

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..