My F2

Kruiz 136

It’s been almost 6 months since I bought it, and finally it’s complete and ready. Almost every day I learnt something new, as I went about getting it ready to take the track for the first time which will be 7th March Buxton, but only for practise to see if any problems arise but more importantly to get me used to driving the car at speed (hopefully) considering I don’t yet even have a road driving license (not even taken 1 lesson) that could be more than a task in its self but I’m feeling quite confident just now. There’s’ some pics below of before after and as much of the between as I can show in the pictures I took.

We bought the car pretty much ready to race but even so we had to do quite a bit of work,

- Brakes as it was leaking in a few places, and quite a lot around the brake bias adjuster

- Straightening out the wing and patching it up.

- Fixing the steering and steering lock as it was only giving 10 degrees to the right and 45 degrees to the left, not so good if it gets sideways, or you want to make an right turns in a tight pits environment.

- Moving the seat back and more up right as it’s a bit of squeeze in there for someone of 6 foot. After moving the seat I could no longer select third gear as I couldn’t reach (with belts pulled tight) and as I don’t have the right diff for Buxton I’m going to use a 3.89 or 4.1 in third there for the time being, so I took the gearstick out, heated it up and bent it back a little so it was easier to put it third.

- Possibly the biggest issue was shortly after we bought it, it refused to start, this took about a month to get to the bottom of, in the end it was a combination of the timing making it difficult, the spark plugs not sparking as it was too cold, the distributor rotor arm moving out of place (god knows how took us weeks to realise it was that), the ignition module had rusted up as had some of the connectors. It was a bit of a nightmare to fix to say the least.

I think that’s about it there was other odds and ends needed doing that all took time but nothing of real significance really, other than my £20.97 paintjob of course armed with nothing more than 2 tins of paint and an old brush it took me 7 weeks in total to paint the lot, battling through the rain which would just not stop ruining it. Unfortunately we don’t have a garage that the car will fit in so had to ‘manage’ without any shelter.

After all that the only thing I’m lacking is the correct wheel nuts! Lmao . I’m using avons just now as they came with the car so if anybody would like to sponsor me a yoko or two feel free ;)

Obviously the car needs signing yet, which Marky has very kindly offered to do for me, many thanks mate, (I’ll get the design sent off as soon as I can sorry to keep you waiting so long)

I owe a lot to my dad for firstly going through the whole stock car thing again as he’s getting on a bit now, and taking time out to learn about F2s as he knew about as much as me about them (which is nothing) so we’ve been learning as we go and making good progress I think (between the cursing and tool throwing anyway :D), and I’m really happy with how its turned out, its not going to win me any titles (even so, many thanks to Grouch for donating the tin of Gold paint, always one step ahead is that man!! lol) but all I want is to be on the fun side of the fence. Its all been self funded though, which hasn't been easy as I'm a full time student, so sponsors apply within ;)

I just can’t wait to drive it on a track now!!

The day i bought it, picking it up:

SN850212.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

At home:

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Working through the night on the engine:

IMG_0057Large.jpg

IMG_0059Large.jpg

Sheltering fresh paint from constant rain:

27-02-09_1258.jpg

And the snow..

IMG_0046.jpg

All done

IMG_0087.jpg

Tight squeeze from the work area (commonly known as the back garden) and the docking bay (commonly known as the front garden)

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

With race scarred wing on

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

Thanks

Kyle

Edited by Kruiz 136

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done well there m8 with limited resources and cash. hope the 2009 season is a good one for you.

good luck with it all m8 and keep us posted with action pictures through the season.

tosh

Well done Kruiz, its looking good, when are you hoping to be out?

And nice one Ironmac, looks like i`ve got another Ukdirt driver to play with in the real ones and lets hope we get on as well as we do in the online racing..... :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys :)

After Buxton I'll want some more practise, so probably do a Wednesday at Northampton and Birmingham and see how long it takes for me to get on a reasonable pace and then think about doing a meeting, which will probably be at Birmingham.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

After Buxton I'll want some more practise, so probably do a Wednesday at Northampton and Birmingham and see how long it takes for me to get on a reasonable pace and then think about doing a meeting, which will probably be at Birmingham.

Good luck Kruiz and youve done a good job on the car. i was in the same boat as you when i first started id never driven a car just straight into the stock car did about 20 laps at northampton on the way home from picking up the car and then just went straight in at the deep end at buxton you learn a lot faster on track with other cars then you will on your own lol. In fact i started racing in 1993 and never passed my test untill 1999 just as i was giving up lol

I got a great price on the car, I was really lucky to meet such a nice owner who let me have it for £1100, and so far I think I've spent £26 physically on getting the car prepared, and £330 on extras, spares, fuel, oil etc and £400 on a trailer although much more stuff needed yet before a meeting, shock absorbers, wishbones etc the things that break easily, and shocks cost a fair bit so that will put up my set up cost by over £400, the car is also on avons just now for practise but I'll want yokos for meetings so theres another £200+ there.

Quite a bit of the stuff I've been given free the battery for example which was nackered I was donated a free one, some avons, wheel nuts absolutely anything, it all mounts up and has saved me a fair bit of money or I've scavanged from scrap yards or used what dad has left from his F1 days or built/modified the bits myself, I could of spent a hell of a lot more easily, its surprising how little you can spend if your prepared to put the work in yourself. We're not experts by any means and our equipment isn't the greatest so the result won't always be as attractive but if it works and gets me round the track thats all that matters! Aside from that I can do my best to make it look presentable the best I can.

Edited by Kruiz 136

Footage of the 2nd 5 laps I've ever done in a BriSCA F2.

I had some problems with the acceleration I've yet to get to the bottom of, I was running a 3.89 diff in 2nd gear with a Ford gearbox it should of been over revving but it was only getting to 7200 - 7400 revs so gonna investigate that this week before Warton on Sunday, for some more practise. Overall though I felt it went very for my first time, ended up in the fence twice on my accord just not slowing down enough for the corner which happened in my 3rd run as the confidence was growing but nothing major.

I really enjoyed myself out there although I was gutted cos hate being slower than people lol even though there was no chance I would be beating anybody for my first time out, the car was really lively with lots of oversteer but great fun.

By the end of my fourth and final run I was 1.5 seconds a lap faster on average but there's no footage of that unfortunately.

Be good to see how much difference yokohama tyres make once I can afford a set lol

I really enjoyed myself out there although I was gutted cos hate being slower than people lol even though there was no chance I would be beating anybody for my first time out, the car was really lively with lots of oversteer but great fun.
Considering it was your first time out in a RWD you done well mate, i was finding a 1300 hard to control on my first time out so i can only imagine how hard it is for a 2ltr. Well Done Mate

Well done Kruiz :thumbs_up: 3.89 diff with a standard box (i guess thats what you have?) is within a rev or two the same as a 3.7 running in second gear on a tran-x box. The Tran-x gearbox has 3rd gear the same as a standard box. Looking at the video clip you are probably about 500 odd revs down on some of the others in the clip coming off the corners just by listening to the engine note.

Best off luck Kruiz!

Nice 1 kruiz hopefully mine will be sorted this weekend ready for a test around blyton just to run up n get feel of car. just seat mount to alter for height n fill tank up with juice n see how it goes. Hopefully get some pics or summat on here just depends on the old man lol

Well done Kruiz :thumbs_up: 3.89 diff with a standard box (i guess thats what you have?) is within a rev or two the same as a 3.7 running in second gear on a tran-x box. The Tran-x gearbox has 3rd gear the same as a standard box. Looking at the video clip you are probably about 500 odd revs down on some of the others in the clip coming off the corners just by listening to the engine note.

Best off luck Kruiz!

Yep Ford gearbox in 2nd with 3.89 diff, I was getting 7200-7400 at the end of the straight so I'd say thats a good guess. Just need to work why it wasn't revving more as my foot was right down, I tried accelerating in the corners a bit but back end just stepped out loads, so thought I'd best not do that again lol

Edited by Kruiz 136

Mine wouldnt rev much once at Birmingham and it was down to the fact that vernier cam pulley had moved and retarded the valve timing after hitting a parked up Rubber flat out at Belle vue the week before. The engine was as flat as a fart and wouldnt rev out or pull as well as it should up the straights, it`s worth checking it.

Thanks Courty :)

Cheers Mart I'll look into that, its definately not got a connected limiter and the carb is opening fully, but tbh it looks like it was struggling all the way round, so it might be what you say it is.

Quick up date on this guys, I was at Warton on Sunday and did about 100 laps in total.

The car was fine, seemed to be handling well. No understeer lots of oversteer but managed to keep it under control most the time! :D

I did have one slight mishap on my 6th or 7th run, when one of the Capri bangers that as running with the outlaws dumped a load of oil on the track with me right behind, and as I put the power on coming out the corner, it stepped out big time, I then over corrected it keeping my foot in and ended up head first in the wall on the straight - not a nice place to be lol

It bent the bumper right back, but about 40 mins later was fixed enough to do a few more runs before going home.

Few pics taken..

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

And a vid - this was the first run I did after the crash, as you can see the bumpers a little bent on the left front. A lot of the lads went home, most of which I noticed were taken off the track via tractor I noticed as I was fixing my car I can only assume because of the oil on the track as they never put down dry powder like BriSCA do. The Outlaw has a 2.2 or 2.5 litre twin carb engine running on racing Michelin slicks and was the fastest car there by far, so I wouldn't bother comparing me to him lol.

Overall I felt I was going ok, still not sure on the engine though yet I never got enough revs up at Warton to test it. Next thing to try is Yokohama tyres at either Buxton and Birmingham with a full weekend coming up to fix the damage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..