My F2

Kruiz 136

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta mate, aye cos it wasn't lol probs gonna take it to buxton and do whatever we can to get it revving before stripping it down and replacing everything lol

I hit 7000 revs once when I came out the corner wide and braked late but mostly just over 6000.

Edited by Kruiz 136

Yeh it is, didn't get time to fit it though, the main point of going was to get used to the car and actually driving it, I can't actually drive on the road yet remember lol So still learning the clutch and stuff too, I seem to be getting there on the track, I was lapping consistently and in control most the time and it was turning in well, very taily but I was having fun keeping it in control lol

Do the engine at Buxton like I say :) No better place for it really.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on how my cars coming along. well its been a bit of a nightmare tbh we lowered the seat fittin brackets to increase headroom and all was fine untill we put the seat cover on and the foam raised it up so skid lid caught on roof plate. Not a good idea so it was deccided to cut roof out and put new cross members in to raise the roof. Thankfully all went well and theres enuf room to keep my wallet above there now. (not much room as its empty now funds quickly goin down). Got the materials from wayne helliwell and started job on weds on my day off and finished it all this afternoon. Only other thing is i noticed the clip for battery cable had come adrift so i put a new one on only to find when i moved the cable to position it the starter motor solenoid was split rite down the middle so need to fit a new one now. explains why it struggled to start. Anyway heres a few pics of whats been done.

post-20-1238256007.jpg

post-20-1238256055.jpg

post-20-1238256250.jpg

post-20-1238256318.jpg

post-20-1238256340.jpg

post-20-1238256382.jpg

post-20-1238256435.jpg

post-20-1238256523.jpg

Hehe we could do with doing that to the roof too, but can't be bothered so I'll just cope with being a little too close to the pedals lol We did put the seat cover in though when we moved our seat back & up or would have had the same problem lol

Know what you mean with the funding, I'm in the red already lol oh well keep soldiering on it aint gonna stop me, might have a graphics card for sale soon though :(

How much more you got to do Iron?

Basically just the solenoid now as far as mechanical goes but still to be signwritten and some cvl to purchase think thats about the lot oh a touch of piant on the new roof and mayb having the wing powder coated but waiting to see yet. Only thing left to buy as such to go racing other than cvl is a decent pair of roll offs.

Edited by Ironmac_288

ye think alot of ppl use it its something to do with the valve seats it protects them from wear from what i understand because the pinto engine was built around the time when leaded fuel was all you could buy the cvl helps to keep the valve seats in good nic think its a magnesium based additive. well summat like that ne way.

aye cvl is used by 90% of the f2 teams nowadays, helps lube the valves and stops pinking at high revs i think. bottles are about £6 and a full bottle is poured into a jerry can. also try to use shell optimax or other high octane fuel. you can tell the difference between that and tescos ownbrand crap.

cvl can be purchased direct from www.redlineengines.com

Thanks guys, I'm tanked up with Tescos finest just now ( :blink: lol) but will consider a better brand next time then :) Got a BP over the road will BP ultimate stuff do?

BP Ultimate, Shell Optimax (or VPower), total's finest, all the smae stuff basically but shells the cheapest around here

A small point to note reguarding fuel.......... If the garage near to you does stock V-Power or BP Ultimate etc it may not be quite as good as you think! Its better to try and get this fuel from somewhere where that sells a lot of that grade so you know its resonably 'fresh' as it is delivered at 99ish octane and not sold as that ;) fuel does go 'off' ......

Thanks for the help all.

Cabs, do you mean if the fuel is stood for a while at the pump (less busy stations) it may not be as good? I live on an A Road which is the main route into Crewe, and its always busy, if that is what you mean.

Yes mate exactly that. Lets be honest, how many people fill there road cars up with the dearest fuel available on the forecourt? I dont know what sort of time limit some of the higher octane pump fuels have before going 'off' but have read somewhere it is possible for these fuels to lose around 1 octane per week stood (until it gets down to a normal unleaded state) because some of the volotile hydrocarbons which give it its high octane rating evaporate quickly whilst in storage at the station.

May be worth asking at the garage near to you how often the 'expensive' tank gets filled. Could be there a long time if no one buys that grade. These fuels are better when fresh without a doubt, as long as it is reasonably fresh.

• 1 month later...

My third and final practise session was yesterday at Buxton after a long two months without racing it, because its taken me so long to get hold of tyres, so this was the first time with Yokohama tyres on.

I was happy with how it went, seemed to be handling perfectly and I never really felt it was getting out of hand even when it rained. A few times it got loose but was under control quickly enough.

This was also the first time I didn't spin or hit the wall! Woohoo!

Theres kind of 3 parts to the video, start of the practise on the damp/dry track then we tested the brakes by getting the wheels to lock up, then I did some laps in the dry, the car seemed to be going really well even hitting 8000rpm at last :) which was achieved by braking later and getting on the acclerator earlier which came as confidence grew. I was happy enough to leave it at that, save what I had left of the tyres and fuel and head home but the heavens opened so I thought it would be a good idea to get some practise on a wet track so jumped in again.

Really enjoyed it and looking forward to my first meeting. It was nice to meet DaveW and Mart there too who gave me words of encouragement which was appreciated.

Cheers

Kruiz

• 6 months later...

Had this delivered today, ready for my 2010 onslaught on the ovals :D

IMG_19352.jpg

IMG_19372.jpg

Shame about the model I know, spoils it rather.

Already got a few people interested in buying one, for, I can only assume they intend on burning it lol

You will all know who to throw stuff at now as I walk round the stadiums ;)

My Season highlights from 2009 video, that I edited together with an awesome song :)

10 pretend points to whoever spots Jimmy#259/716! (Hint: He ain't racing)

Repairs on the car are well underway and on target for a March the 6th appearance at Birmingham.

Looking forward to what 2010 brings,

Kruiz

Edited by Kruiz 136

My Season highlights from 2009 video, that I edited together with an awesome song :)

10 pretend points to whoever spots Jimmy#259/716! (Hint: He ain't racing)

Repairs on the car are well underway and on target for a March the 6th appearance at Birmingham.

Looking forward to what 2010 brings,

Kruiz

Cool video - Jimmy the one next to your wee brother when you coming back to your trailer in the pits ?

Yes mate busy at the moment rebuilding the undercarriage, I've got some pics that I'll post at a later date.

Currently on target for a March 6th appearance at Birmingham, however would be made easier if the ice and snow would clear up, as we're intending to rebuild and replace all the suspension, at least straighten the nerf rails, maybe replace them, new fuel tank holder if we can't get a replacement the same size as the ally one and add a left rear wheel guard, possibly other things need doing I can't remember at the moment lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Up date on progress made with the car..

After the the accident at buxton which involved a car spinning in front of me, hitting it causing my suspension to collapse then sliding down the track on the undercarriage then being unfortunate enough to slide over the big infield curbs taking out my steering rack, rad, sump, and much of the metal holding it all together this is what we have been doing since (between snow storms lol) to repair it..

The first problem was at the track, it was towed away by two tractors, with broken suspension on the front and back and we were unable to load the car up as the damage to the front was so bad we couldn't replace the suspension, so the car was always sliding along the ground with no suspension on the left front. This meant we could get it on the trailer even with the winch, and unable to run the engine because it was leaking oil + and a twisted rad. We needed tractor assistance just to get it on the trailer.

post-862-1262560314.jpg

1002.jpg

When we got it home, the same problem was encountered, ie getting it off the trailer, except now we had no tractor to help lol. In the end we jacked it up, patched the sump up topped the oil up and ran it very quickly to get it off the trailer, dragging the front along.

To make a start on the damage, firstly, we took the engine and box out to properly repair the sump + enable us to turn the car over so we can work on the underneath. Next we turned it on its side...

IMG_1873.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Cut out the damaged metal...

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

And replaced with the new..

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

We're going to roll it back on 4 wheels again next and start work on the really hard bits, the steering rack mounts as we're changing from starlet to shortened moggy and the old mounts got bent and then start to rebuild the front suspension, more difficult because everything needs to be exactly spot on for it to handle well.

I'll keep you posted on more progress as we go :)

Oh and I will be racing under 136 next season :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..