The Future of CoventryStox

HGR#777

Hi! I would like to start talking about what's going with the home of BriSCA F1. The Wembely of Stockcars. Coventry Stadium

As you all know Cov is due to close and the bulldozers are rumored to come the weekend after the last meeting in November, although their is no planning permission signed as yet this looks to be going ahead.

As of the last few weeks though they have found a suitable site. This rumored to be near the A46 and near suicide island but if anything will even happen, welI nobody knows. If they are looking to race in 2017 wouldn't you of thought they are starting to build already? Or at the end of this season are they going to take the money and run? In the recent Stockcar Magazine they stated if everything can be sorted by Summer we should be able to build a track and temporary facility's by the start of the 2017 season. But whatever happens I would love to hear people's thoughts on this and if they have any news they would like to share.

Anyway onto a much nicer note: 1/4/16 Coventry Meeting Report-

After a good sunny days the shale track was in perfect condition for the meeting that started off with the V8's and the Mini's. Will be honest the V8s all through the night was poor.

The F1 Heat 1,2,3 follwed after from 7pm and saw some cracking racing!

The V8 Heat 2 was next that saw a very very close to roll over moment for the white top driver

F1 consolation saw domination from the reds and superstars to secure their place in the final as Frankie Wainman Junior Junior 555 lost out

The F1 final was decent until the last 8 or so laps when the yellows came out. The 4 or so drivers in with a shout ended up separated out to make an anti-climactic finish won by 21 Mark Gilbank

As the rain started to thrash down and cover the track the Mini's final was next saw more great action won by occasional UK Dirt racer 183 Charlie Guinchard

The best was saved till last in the form of Grand National time! With 5 to go yellows were called and the running order was 21,4,515,16 and 2! At the restart 21 got away slightly as 4,515 and 16 battled it out. With 3 to go Wainman knocked Jonson wide onto the wet stuff and gained 2nd. The gap looked way too big but 515 and his awesome new shale car dragged him up close enough to Gilbank for a classic last corner shut. Sure enough Frankie went for it and fired Gilbank straight into the fence and Junior Wainman came home in 1st followed by 21 and 4 rounding out the top 3

Once again would love to hear your thoughts about the future of STOX in Cov and the meeting itself!

Track wise excellent. As for the facilities for the amount of people the meeting draw in very poor as for the pit's I'm surprised no one has been killed.

Many a time when I came off track with the poor or lack of lighting have I nearly run over spectators who think that they can walk in front of cars an they will stop. The brakes on an F1 are not the best to start with add a race an fade an they become non existant.

I think Cov has out grown the current stadium so relocating would be a good idea in my eyes. As for the planning of a new stadium it could take years. Councils hate things that have anything to do with HEALTH&SAFETY it puts them into meltdown.

Speaking to a certain red top driver last night they aint happy about a few things in BriSCA atm, but the Coventry situation is a big one for em, its considered the hub of stock cars by many of the drivers and is more than just an inconvenience when it gets flattened. It said in the programme last night that there is a tiny tiny chance that it will still be here in 2017 but its near impossible. The one they were on about near the A46 was declined permission but it seems they have put in for more than one site and we will be updated next month on the situation.

For me ill be sad when it goes, the place holds alot of sentimental value to so many people. Went to my first cov meeting when I was 10 days old, my Dad won 2 finals in a row there, I've been to every World Final there since I was born and I find it the most spectator friendly track in the schedule... maybe the toilets stink and the hand dryer doesnt work, and as ding dong says about the lighting. But its not much different at any other track really.

Ill just be sad to see it go, and I really really hope they find a replacement in the very near future, even if its just a temporary fix for 2017 before any real construction gets started.

Nice to hear your thoughts and inside news so at the moment it looks promising for a replacement track to arrive! Theirs no chance really for 2017 unless they just have track and a grass spectator area round the edge. Fingers crossed for more positive news soon!

2 tracks in one year :( be sad to see cov go thank god im going to the last ever meeting hope the drivers and staff make it one to never forget

Talking about that last meeting they must have something extra special planned because on the website it just says they will be running F1 with no support so god knows what type of extra races they will be staging

The used to only run F1s back in the 70s and 80s with no support formulas, then again there were alot more drivers back then :P. I reckon for the last one we'll see alot of overseas drivers come over and unlimited bookings, much like the world final.

So track championship, probaly some kind of all stars race, 4 heats 2 cons B-final A-Final and 2GN's. Then i pray they do a race were everybody that turns up so 100 odd cars race all at once.

That would make for about 11-13 races where normally theirs about 12-14 races each meeting with support so i suppose it will be normal

Without causing too much of an argument, the only people sad to see Coventry go will be the fans that live within an hour of the place. Year by year it gets more and more run down, the track isn't cared for, the pits are rubbish and there's no parking for half the transporters they let in. Don't even get me started on spectating lol!

As I say to all of the people who 'love' Cov and think it's the dogs bo*****s then you've simply got to go to Holland once in your lifetime and it will blow you mind. People might mock the Dutch but there promoters put a lot of the money back into the tracks allowing for better pits, more parking, excellent track care between racing, nice toilets, clean bars with great viewing. That's just the start! Imaging having a 3 minute turn around between races no matter how much carnage there is! I'm not just talking about Venray here, or Baarlo for those old boys haha.

Coventry might be the 'home' of stockcars, but as racing evolves, the world evolves and time moves on, it's certainly going to be vital for the sport to move on.... If you took a friend to Coventry for a normal meeting they would possibly enjoy it. Take them to somewhere nice, clean and professional like Blauwhuis, Venray, Emmen then they would want to go each week as it turns our mockery of a sport into an awesome day out with family/friends, just like it should be!

Without causing too much of an argument, the only people sad to see Coventry go will be the fans that live within an hour of the place. Year by year it gets more and more run down, the track isn't cared for, the pits are rubbish and there's no parking for half the transporters they let in. Don't even get me started on spectating lol!

As I say to all of the people who 'love' Cov and think it's the dogs bo*****s then you've simply got to go to Holland once in your lifetime and it will blow you mind. People might mock the Dutch but there promoters put a lot of the money back into the tracks allowing for better pits, more parking, excellent track care between racing, nice toilets, clean bars with great viewing. That's just the start! Imaging having a 3 minute turn around between races no matter how much carnage there is! I'm not just talking about Venray here, or Baarlo for those old boys haha.

Coventry might be the 'home' of stockcars, but as racing evolves, the world evolves and time moves on, it's certainly going to be vital for the sport to move on.... If you took a friend to Coventry for a normal meeting they would possibly enjoy it. Take them to somewhere nice, clean and professional like Blauwhuis, Venray, Emmen then they would want to go each week as it turns our mockery of a sport into an awesome day out with family/friends, just like it should be!

Good point wardiee. I have only been to Northampton and Cov so I don't know what it's like for other places. I really just hope a new track will be built

• 1 month later...

Coventry stadium has hardly changed since the 1970's. My late father used to take me there as a kid(yes i was a kid in the 70's that makes me.....................old now).

I was truly blessed to say i saw the greatest stock car racer of all time Stuart Smith sr racing there when stock car were so loud the whole stand used to shake when they floored it.Back in those days no-one left after the final when the king 391 won the final because we all wanted to see him win the Grand National from a lap down,there was no yellow flags to close up the grid in those days,without fail Smithy would put on a great show and when he won it was like being at a football match with the crowd all shouting and screaming.Happy days.

The stadium is now "not fit for purpose" due to complete lack of investment from the revenue from Stockcars,Greyhounds or Speedway. My personal view is we will never see a new track in the Coventry area. The noise police will stop it ever getting planning permission. Its a sad time for stock car racing when Cov closes some great world finals have graced the stadium. Which track will be next to go so some rich idiot can make loads of money building 4 and 5 bed homes for other rich pricks to buy as weekend accomodation. RIP Brandon stadium. :banghead2:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
lights are being replaced as they were broke last meeting m8

T1 armco removed, was damaged

Seats removed on a few rows, these were damaged

Lights. The CoC confirmed there just replacing them for next year

I take back what i said this morning😃

Harry like Stumpy said the whole place has never moved on from the late 70's early 80's from when I was a Kid. I remember the track back in the day when my dad used to race an I have raced it my self,

The Racing surface is the best you will get but the stadium is falling to bits. I will be sad to see it go but every dog has it's day so they say. No matter what you hear there will be another track local to the old track.

Ok so I've seen face boooookkkkkk an the Brandon stadium will be no more but lets look at it this way 1= Why would you take the shale 2= Why would you take the lighting 3= There is nothing else worth taking.

Reading between the lines an lookin at the small print we will get another Cov track. Brandon was getting old an the PC brigade won the day so it was not possible to re develop the existing stadium but looking into the council minutes there is hope for a new stadium. :thumbup:

ye facebook need to make there bloomin mind up. One min oh no cov gona get bulldozer ran over it the next ye we get to race for another year then no nvm then yaaaa 3 more years of racing

• 2 months later...

Coventry is in my opinion is the best track for spectating I did go almost every month last year......

As a F2 driver myself I know that it was meant to go in 2005 so I don't care but now Kings Lynn will take over and With Skeggy being redone that will also be an amazing track with amazing facilities....

Coventry stadium has hardly changed since the 1970's. My late father used to take me there as a kid(yes i was a kid in the 70's that makes me.....................old now).

I was truly blessed to say i saw the greatest stock car racer of all time Stuart Smith sr racing there when stock car were so loud the whole stand used to shake when they floored it.Back in those days no-one left after the final when the king 391 won the final because we all wanted to see him win the Grand National from a lap down,there was no yellow flags to close up the grid in those days,without fail Smithy would put on a great show and when he won it was like being at a football match with the crowd all shouting and screaming.Happy days.

The stadium is now "not fit for purpose" due to complete lack of investment from the revenue from Stockcars,Greyhounds or Speedway. My personal view is we will never see a new track in the Coventry area. The noise police will stop it ever getting planning permission. Its a sad time for stock car racing when Cov closes some great world finals have graced the stadium. Which track will be next to go so some rich idiot can make loads of money building 4 and 5 bed homes for other rich pricks to buy as weekend accomodation. RIP Brandon stadium. :banghead2:

Stumpy you were a kid??? i though thought youd always been this old!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..