new tracks

any 1 thogt of redoing the old tracks like swaffham has chaged now spedeworth owns it and wimbellden has no shale on it now and an olds school ipswich would be well cool i can get some pics if any 1 wants 2 have a go at making it

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:042: Just thought I`d put my own ideas into the great "New tracks" debate.

The old Aldershot track got a mention which was always a bit of an oddity as being Egg shaped, it had one sharp bend and one long, pit bend.

I can remember the old Cross-in-Hand track in Sussex which had one high straight and one low straight which meant climbing uphill on one bend and shooting downhill on the other and plenty of roll overs on the concrete surface.

How many other weird and unusual tracks were or are out there ?

Plus if anyone wanted Photos for track building I`m sure they`d get plenty just by requesting them on the Forum. I`ve got some of Mathams Park/Ringwood going back to the late 1960`s when Gerry Dommett promoted Brisca F1 , F2, and even built a figure of 8 track for banger racing, which Spedeworth seemed to do away with when they took over in 1970 and resurfaced the track.

Strange to think that years later they would build a figure of 8 at Wimbledon.

Be Lucky

Biffo

...The old Aldershot track got a mention which was always a bit of an oddity as being Egg shaped, it had one sharp bend and one long, pit bend.

I can remember the old Cross-in-Hand track in Sussex which had one high straight and one low straight which meant climbing uphill on one bend and shooting downhill on the other and plenty of roll overs on the concrete surface.

Plus if anyone wanted Photos for track building I`m sure they`d get plenty just by requesting them on the Forum. I`ve got some of Mathams Park/Ringwood going back to the late 1960`s when Gerry Dommett promoted Brisca F1 , F2, and even built a figure of 8 track for banger racing...

I would love to see the 'Egg shaped' track and the "uphill/downhill" track made :thumbup: . I think they would be classics for UKdirt racing. "Variety is the spice of life" as they say! Scan your photos of Mathams Park and stick em on here Biffo, cos I love seeing old photos from the tracks, even if they don't ever get created for the game. I may even have a go at finishing a track off again. I think every track is worthy of being made, some in higher priority of others. They can be used in rfactor so they'll stick around for a long time. One or two of the current tracks could do with updating (purely for realism, now that the game has developed) but I think it's terrific how we now have well over 70 tracks! (clockwise/anti-clockwise) and if we still get bored with them, on my HD, I have a selection of roughly 400 tracks for the game!!!

[attachmentid=7152]

:thumbs_up: Glad to oblige Splinter

Have just been up in the attic and found all me photos and started some scanning.

Heres the "egg" shaped Aldershot Stadium including the figure of 8 .

I`ll see what I can do will the others ?

Also I can`t spell, should be Matcham`s Park , missed out the "c".

Regards

Biffo

post-997-1151443464.jpg

Top Picture Biffo,

Even as a PRI boy you have to say that track was the nuts.

Would make a cracking online track.

Excellent picture Biffo, I'd be really interested in modelling the track if we can get enough pictures, so c'mon guys if you have a picture of the track upload it please, I'd also be interested in speaking to anyone that has a good knowledge of the track preferably someone that raced on it. :coffee:

HQ would be ace (aldershot for those that dont no..) yes its post and wire, and has been said to be the best banger track of all time :thumbs_up:

After Crayford :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lakey

:rolleyes: Sorry for not coming back on the subjet of the old Alderstot track earlier but we`ve had a recent bereavement in the family and my times had to be given up elsewhere.

But now the moment you`ve all been waiting for.......

The Quick Guided Tour of Aldershot Stadium, as was.

[attachmentid=7225]

1. Entrance

2. Start / Finish line

3. Car Parks

4. Pit Area

5. Greyhound Traps

6. Pit Gate

7. Small wooden bridge over the neighbouring stream

8. Main seated Grandstand

9. Sand covered Dog track

10. Souvenir shop

11. Glass fronted seating area and Clubhouse

post-997-1151676451_thumb.jpg

No need to apologise and v sorry to hear of the bereavement.

Nice guided tour. I have had a quick look through my pics on my PC and found a couple (not mine) which I think are Aldershot, showing a couple of the perimiter buildings. Shame about the dog track causing spectators to stand so far back!

[attachmentid=7231]

[attachmentid=7232]

Some track suggestions:

1. Aldershot

2. Crayford

3. Cross in Hand

4. New Brighton

5. Wisbech

post-241-1151681611.jpg

post-241-1151681636.jpg

Aldershot Stadium, a brief History

Started in the late 1920`s for Pony trotting, Greyhound and Speedway Racing, Aldershot Stadium was actually built just outside of Aldershot in the village of Tongham. Which not only placed it outside of Aldershot , Hampshire but placed it in the next county, Surrey.

In 1954 it became one of several tracks in the U.K. to host a new craze called "Stock Car Racing".

Interest dropped off, and saw no racing at all here during 1957.

Racing started up in 1958 and stopped again. No racing in 1959 either.

New promoters started up again in 1960.

Stock car racing at this time was Governed by the B.S.C.D.A.

(British Stock Car Drivers Association) - Better known today as BriSCA.

A new class of cheaper Stock Car Racing was now being introduced based around a limit of a 1200cc engine size etc. etc. These were known as "Junior" Stock Cars. The Originals Being "Senior" Stock Cars which of course became known as Formula One and Formula Two (F1 & F2).

In 1961 the new Juniors were a great success but equally the number of Seniors began dwindle and were finally dropped altogether.

Just as things were looking bright the Promoters fell out with the B.S.C.D.A. big time, over the licensing of their new track, Arlington Raceway at Eastbourne.

Rumour has it that the Promoters only found out they hadn`t got a licence to race the morning of the first meeting, but raced anyway........." The show must go on!", as they say.

Unfortunately the B.S.C.D.A. didn`t see the funny side and withdraw the licence to race at Aldershot as well.

The Promoters decided to be the "Outlaws" of their day and promote independently taking with them a large chunk of the B.S.C.D.A.`s F2 drivers around the South-East of England, opening new tracks as they went on.

Aldershot was to be the HQ for this risky enterprise calling themselves "The Formula Two Stock Car Company".

Luckily this was changed to the more trendy, "Spedeworth" and the rest, as they say, is history.

I think the first figure of 8 event was put on for Bangers about 1976 which was always a good crowd pleaser.

Rumours of closure rumbled on for years with a few locals always complaining about the noise as there was racing every Thursday night during the season, but it was the new trunk road which finally decided the fate of Aldershot Stadium.

Like most Government plans this also rumbled on for years until after numerous petitions and letters to Government officials the reply was basically.........There`s no land available for an alterative site so.........

GET OUT !

So the last meeting took place on November 21st. 1992 and the little Stadium was packed out with cars and spectators alike.

There were a few delays between races due to the pit area overflowing with cars but nobody minded as we were treated to some great racing with Saloon Stock Cars, Superstox, National Hot Rods,and Bangers and figure of 8 finishing with a Destruction Derby and then Fireworks. Some people I know got pieces of tarmac from the track as souvenirs as they brought out a huge crane on tracks which began digging up the track once and for all.

Weather you like `em or not "Spedeworth" sure know how to make a show of closing a track!

The meeting started at 6.00pm and should have finished at 10 pm. due to local council restrictions.

It finished way passed 11pm......did we look bothered ?

Now in place of it we have a fast trunk road so the good news is you can now get there really quickly!

Biffo

Wow interesting aerial shot Splinter.

Yes I think that`s about it now , I was up that way recently and couldn`t find anything left.

Nice roundabout though!

Incidently your photos are at Aldershot and are in front of the clubhouse the Mini is just going towards the Start / Finish line .

I`ve been scrabbling around through old programmes etc. and found these taken at Aldershot about 1960.

The quality is a bit poor but interesting to see old F1`s and Number 38 is former F1 star Fred Mitchell.

[attachmentid=7274] [attachmentid=7275]

Be Lucky

Biffo

post-997-1151786947.jpg

post-997-1151787124_thumb.jpg

Excellent picture Biffo, I'd be really interested in modelling the track if we can get enough pictures, so c'mon guys if you have a picture of the track upload it please, I'd also be interested in speaking to anyone that has a good knowledge of the track preferably someone that raced on it. :coffee:

Well Nick we seemed to have created some interest in the Aldershot track, heres some more photos if they`ll help the cause and I have raced on the track, just ythe once with a Hillman Minx in 1976 (562)

[attachmentid=7278] 1. Me with the remains

[attachmentid=7279] 2. Backstraight with spectator embankment

[attachmentid=7280] 3. Start finish straight with Commentry box in the background

[attachmentid=7281] 4. The sharp bend with half of the lap board in the background

[attachmentid=7284] 5. Looking across the track to the Start /finish straight

[attachmentid=7286] 6. The Pit area.

The track was 305 yards , which compares to 390 yards at Wimbledon and 410 yards for Ipswich.

Tarmac surface with a concrete apron around the inside edge.

The sharp bend was tight but didn`t last long, being less than 180 degrees and the top bend just went on and on round as it was twice the distance, at least.

May see a Virtual Aldershot one day ?

:2: Biffo

post-997-1151788786_thumb.jpg

post-997-1151789006_thumb.jpg

post-997-1151789150_thumb.jpg

post-997-1151789270_thumb.jpg

post-997-1151789367_thumb.jpg

post-997-1151789448.jpg

post-997-1151789590.jpg

I never visited Aldershot as it was in my pre-traveling and being young and skint days, but the more I see pictures of it and hear stories about the place, the more I regret not ever traveling up there.

Hopefuly, one day I will atleast be able to race there online. :thumbs_up:

And as for people complaining about the noise of a race track if they live nearby, they should bloody well think themselves lucky. :blink:

If I lived on the doorstep of a short oval, I would be in my element. :king:

Edited by mcrew

Excellent pictures :thumbs_up:

I'll need alot more though if I am to do the track justice, I'll try to catch you on msn or something Biffo, I need to ask a few questions.

That would be fine Nick.

I`m not on Msn yet be I`ll let you know when I`ve set it up.

Nice Photo from Splinter too, shows the main Aldershot grandstand and Clubhouse.

Interesting bodywork and the cars not bad either ! - lol

:2: Biffo

I can remember the old Cross-in-Hand track in Sussex which had one high straight and one low straight .

I would love to see the 'Egg shaped' track and the "uphill/downhill" track made :thumbup: .

Splinter, regarding the Uphill and downhill "Cross in Hand track.

Can`t find much at the moment, been scratching around in programmes etc. and come up with these two.

Must be rarer `cos the track only lasted about 7 years `till the council banned it due to traffic congestion.

A victim of it`s own popularity.

[attachmentid=7324]Under construction about 1965, it really is built on a hill.

[attachmentid=7325] Top straight is a natural grandstand and good views

Cya

Biffo

post-997-1151864342.jpg

post-997-1151864390_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..