Graphics Cards

Dazza290

Got a 256mb N vidia Graphics cards, installed it all, including the drivers but cant get it to work. It says it is running fine but the graphics in games are no better then the 32mb integrated.

Any ideas as to what it could be and how to sort it??

I do have a 3d prophet 32mb graphics card which I will try if i cant get this one to work, and see if it is the Graphics card that is playing up.

Cheers

Dazza

It may be a silly question but you have got the monitor plugged into the graphics card port and not the on board graphics port haven't you.

Lol i thought that myself, but what happened was, i plug the monitor into the graphics card, turn the computer on and the screen stays black?? It boots up and all that, just cant see nothing on screen??

It may be a silly question but you have got the monitor plugged into the graphics card port and not the on board graphics port haven't you.

Lol i thought that myself, but what happened was, i plug the monitor into the graphics card, turn the computer on and the screen stays black?? It boots up and all that, just cant see nothing on screen??

Sure it's in right and everything is connected properly?

Have you tryed disabling the onboard aswell Dazza before connecting them up.

dazza stop mucking around get a 12 bore or very large sledge hammer,and just shot or hit the pc very hard,this action WILL NOT CURE YOUR PROBLEM but it feels great when ya doing it..... ohmy.gif

rofl.gif  all joking aside, im very close to your idea mate!

Ok, ive tried some of the suggestions on here, and i dunno whats happened.

I installed the software from my N Vidia CD, disabled the onboard graphics, took the card out and put it back in, (thinking please please please please please) turned my computer on, and it loads up as far as the black screen which says Windows XP Professional with the little green and orange bar going across, then the screen just goes black.

So i tried plugging it back into the integrated, hoping that the disable hadnt woked! and that wont work now.

So i can turn my comp on fine, but after the black screen i cant do anything. Any ideas on how to get the screen back, so i can use the computer at the very least??

Thanks to everyones suggestions, but im stuck at the moment banghead2.gif

Dazza

P.s My computer specs are

AMD Athlon 2600

512mb DDr Ram

160gb hard drive (2x80)

How much of a boost should the 256mb card (if it ever works) give to my computer graphics. Say for example, in the graphics bit in the banger game it says AWESOME GREAT and BOTTLENECK. Any ideas as to what they should go to once the card is installed??

Edited by Dazza684

Hi

It sounds as if it is getting to the point that windows changes the screen resolution,It may be that the graphics card is trying to start up in resolution not supported by the monitor.

Try to start the computer in safe mode. (keep tapping f8 while it is booting)

If it will start then load the drivers,set it to the lowest resolution then try to start normally.

Thanks Dino! got the computer working again at least!!

Now then, it seems i have the computer running on the graphics card, but on the drivers for the integrated, if that makes sense. I put in the NVidia disk to do the drivers and it goes straight through to the end on the installation, where it finally says Error, canot complete installtion. Then a VGA hardware found pops up in the bottom right hand corner, so i install that, and it is for the integrated graphics, although my graphics card seems to have taken on these driver setting aswell. So i do a driver update serach and it says it cant find a better match then is what there already.

So now i am really stuck!

Also whenerver i go into a game like Heat, it comes up with the wrror, sorry, your video card does not support 3d graphics?? WTF rofl.gif

Edited by Dazza684

Go into device manager and remove the integrated graphics- check for sure also that it's still disabled in BIOS and you haven't chosen "revert to default" or whatever. Throw the nvidia CD in the bin, and download drivers for your card from the manufacturer's website, or nvidia.com.

Ok cheers for info John, got an aven bigger problem now.

The same thing as what i had before where windows will only load to a certain stage before restarting itself over and over, with safe mode etc etc not even working!

The only way i got round this last time was buying a new hard disk drive and putting windows onto that, but i cant afford to keep doing that!!

Any ideas why its doing this.

Its very close to falling off that window ledge at this very moment..........

Dazza

Guest Scrapman53
Ok cheers for info John, got an aven bigger problem now.

The same thing as what i had before where windows will only load to a certain stage before restarting itself over and over, with safe mode etc etc not even working!

The only way i got round this last time was buying a new hard disk drive and putting windows onto that, but i cant afford to keep doing that!!

Any ideas why its doing this.

Its very close to falling off that window ledge at this very moment..........

Dazza

It could be that your power supply can't handle the graphics card Daz.

Guest Scrapman53

It should boot up if that's the problem. It'll just be a case of the power supply not putting out enough power to handle the card.

What card have you got? 6600gt 6800gt? They need a molex plug to power them like the ones that power the Hard drive, DVD drive etc.  thumbs_up.gif

It should boot up if that's the problem. It'll just be a case of the power supply not putting out enough power to handle the card.

What card have you got? 6600gt 6800gt? They need a molex plug to power them like the ones that power the Hard drive, DVD drive etc.  thumbs_up.gif

Thanks Scrap, ill give it a try in abit and see what happens.

The card i have is a Geforce 5200 Fx 256mb Overclocked,  so not quite as new as the gt's i dont think, and havent seen anywhere where they need the molex plug to power them although i maybe wrong.

Thanks to everyne for there help

Dazza

P.s If it isnt the power supply what could it be?? Is it a case of buying another Hard drive and putting windows on that, the same as i did before??

Guest Scrapman53

Thanks Scrap, ill give it a try in abit and see what happens.

The card i have is a Geforce 5200 Fx 256mb Overclocked,  so not quite as new as the gt's i dont think, and havent seen anywhere where they need the molex plug to power them although i maybe wrong.

Thanks to everyne for there help

Dazza

P.s If it isnt the power supply what could it be?? Is it a case of buying another Hard drive and putting windows on that, the same as i did before??

You won't need a plug to power that card m8. It would be helpfull if you could find out what rating your power supply is though. (most pre built or cases when you build your own come with a crappy PSU though that I wouldn't use). I read in a mag once that the heavier the PSU in weight, the better quality it is. Think here's a website to tell you the power to weight ratio for a decent one, but if it is the PSU that's at fault, then it's better to get at least a 480w quality one. (I use a 600w Enermax with an AMD 3200xp processor, 1024mb pc3200 ram and a 6800gt GX card and no probs. I used to get the prob you have now and then with a radeon 9600 card with a 350w PSU)  thumbs_up.gif

Edited by Scrapman53

Great info lads, but i think i have spotted a major Boo Boo on my part!

On my computer it says ''AGP slot for upgradeability'' However my card is a PCI, so im guessing that is why the card wont work?? The card was given to me so didnt think twice about what it was.

I tried starting the computer up on the integrated but it wont work, so i think that i am resigned to the fact of i have to buy a new hard drive??

Although i read somewhere that you can make ''boot disk's'' so you can wipe a hard drive and put a fresh install of Windows on it. Is this true?? If so is it free and legal, and any ideas on where to get the info??

I really apprciate all the help

Dazza

Can't you just format the hard drive that you have instead of buying a new one, but remember to back up your stuff first.

How would i go about formatting the hard drive if i cant get onto the screen to back anything up??

Im currently using a borrowed lap top for the web etc etc

Can't you just format the hard drive that you have instead of buying a new one, but remember to back up your stuff first.

How would i go about formatting the hard drive if i cant get onto the screen to back anything up??

Im currently using a borrowed lap top for the web etc etc

Daz, what I'm sending you will do the trick....e.g formatting

Ok here is the situation.

After invaluable help from a number of people, not least Nick Cunny or Ray, i have managed to boot up an old hard drive i found, connect up one of my other hard drives get the data i want, and then reinstall windows on one of my new hard drives.

But now i cant get any sound, only that annoying 'beep' sound when an application like heat opens. How do i get round that?

Also i got the graphics card installed, in bios it is on PCI hardware or something similar, but i havent disabled the on board graphics just yet as that is what caused my comp to mess up in the first place. I have all the settings for the graphics card in my advanced display properties, is there anyway of making them better, o do i have to disable the onboard another way?? Or shall i just leave it??

In the banger game it says

MACHINE SPEED = AWESOME

FILL RATE = GREAT

POLYGON RATE = BOTTLENECK

What is polygon rate, and how can I improve that??

The card cant be installed properly either because i have to run a fairly low setting when playing TOCa Race Driver, although i would have thought on quite good computer specs and a 256mb card that I should be able to run it quite high.

Any more ideas lads, sorry to drag this thread out so long.

Dazza

But now i cant get any sound, only that annoying 'beep' sound when an application like heat opens. How do i get round that?

if you're on XP, go into control panel, then into system and select the device manager tab - you should get a list of all installed devices (hardware) on the PC, and will hopefully find an exclamation mark next to the sound devices, where the drivers may not be installed properly - then try the 'update driver' feature to reinstall the drivers for the sound card - i've just had the same happen on mine (new hd, had cd's for all of the devices except the sound so had to use xp drivers to get that going)

i'm not great at this stuff lol but look at the device manager to see if you have exclamation marks anywhere in the device list

if you're on XP, go into control panel, then into system and select the device manager tab - you should get a list of all installed devices (hardware) on the PC, and will hopefully find an exclamation mark next to the sound devices, where the drivers may not be installed properly - then try the 'update driver' feature to reinstall the drivers for the sound card - i've just had the same happen on mine (new hd, had cd's for all of the devices except the sound so had to use xp drivers to get that going)

i'm not great at this stuff lol but look at the device manager to see if you have exclamation marks anywhere in the device list

Thanks for the suggestion, but i cant see any exclamation marks in the device manager. It all says its installed and working properly.

I think this happened to me before when installed Windows on a fresh hard disk, i think Cunny sent me a program to sort it out, but cant remember what it was. Will try and get hold of him thumbs_up.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..