AGP Graphic Issue

MichaelG - 38

hello

I have just put in an AGP card, changed all the settings in bios etc..

the pc boots up fine and recognises the new graphics card, now the problem is.. when it goes past the XP loading screen and onto the log-on page,my screen goes completely black and computer dousn't do anything, i can hear things loading up and my monitor is still on green light and fully functional.....

so it dousn't seem like its a graphic card issue, otherwise pc woudn't boot it and monitor woudn't stay on green???  shrug.gif

are there any other things i could try?    Could it be a driver issue maybe??

This is my first time using an AGP card so maybe I missed summat in bios? I been using an SIS Pci card for last year, dunno how!!

btw just before i forget here are the motherboard and graphic card im using........L7VTA socket A motherboard       GeForce2 Mx200 64MB

cheers in advance guys  thumbs_up.gif

oh dear my fault..seems like the card does not support windows xp   blink.gif

Thanks alot for that link chris,would of been here all day otherwise    banghead2.gif

"Drivers:

Windows 9X / 98SE / ME / NT4.0 and Win2000 display drivers.

Supports DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectVideo and ActiveX, OpenGL ICD for Win9x, ME, NT, Windows 2k and Linux "

thanks to other repliers aswell  thumbs_up.gif

Edited by MichaelG - 38

The card should be fine in XP. I have run a Riva TNT2 (who remembers those?) under XP without any problems.

You need to boot windows in safe mode

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222

And remove the old graphics card/device from the device manager.

Hopefully, you should then be able to restart the PC and get into windows (it will be in a low resolution now) and go through the "new hardware found" rigmarole and install the drivers.

For nvidia cards, you can download the drivers from nvidia.com - you get a bunch of options to choose from: Graphics Driver/Geforce and TNT2/Windows XP.

The same drivers work for your old geforce2mx as for the latest £500 more money than sense 7blah card. Personally, I had some trouble with the latest nvidia drivers on one PC, so I went here

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

instead.

Edited by JohnMid

The card should be fine in XP. I have run a Riva TNT2 (who remembers those?) under XP without any problems.

You need to boot windows in safe mode

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;315222

And remove the old graphics card/device from the device manager.

Hopefully, you should then be able to restart the PC and get into windows (it will be in a low resolution now) and go through the "new hardware found" rigmarole and install the drivers.

For nvidia cards, you can download the drivers from nvidia.com - you get a bunch of options to choose from: Graphics Driver/Geforce and TNT2/Windows XP.

The same drivers work for your old geforce2mx as for the latest £500 more money than sense 7blah card. Personally, I had some trouble with the latest nvidia drivers on one PC, so I went here

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

instead.

Works a treat john, thanks very much m8, apprechiated  thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a ATI Radeon 9600 256Mb AGP card in my PC yesterday.

Only to have the exact same problem as Michael. After loading screen, the screen goes blank (into sleeping mode) and the PC doesn't do anything anymore. Only a reset can fire the PC up again.

When bying the card i specificly asked if it was needed to uninstall the old drivers from the old gfx card. This wasn't needed and a simple install of the new card would cuase no problems. Having done so I did get problems.

Now I have tried what is written in this thread to solve the problem but all failed. After reading some techy forums and stuff I think there are still some drivers from my old gfx card on my PC but I don't have a clue where to find them. I did an uninstall of the old drivers/software but this hasn't cured the problem.

Now I am not a computer genious but do want to sove the problem. Whjats the best advice to do? Bring it to a PC shop so they can solve it or is there still a chance of solving it myself?

cheers,

Dragon

Hmm, try changing the settings in Heat to a lower screen mode just to start with, if you can get that far. You might be able to edit this in the options file before loading Heat?

Reinstall DirectX if you haven't already. And finally, never believe a word of someone who is selling you something!

That omega website has ATI drivers also, you could give those a try.

John, I am not even getting into Heat. It's the PC that doesn't seem to fire up properly.

Lol, youre right about the selling part.

What I'll do is the following:

- uninstall all the new drivers for the new gfx card

- take new card out

- put new card in

- start PC for a check

- install drivers for old card

- start PC for a check

- uninstall old drivers ( in the hope that ALL the drivers are now being removed)

- take out old card

- put new card in

- start PC without installing new drivers for a check

- install new drivers in the hope that it works

- worst case, install drivers from omega site

I don't know if the above is the right way to do it but i't's just a "feeling" that I have

lo.i wiuld do this

1 remove card

2 restart pc and uninstall drivers,find latest omega driver off the net

3 turn off and fit new card start pc

4 pc should find new card but install the lastest omega driver

scrapman said to me to use the one....rad_w2kxp_omega_2597a_7z, when i got his 9600 on loan but i didnt use card as i got my gf7800gt sooner than i thought

Edited by Pedz 212

Thanks for the reply's guys.

What I did was install the latest drivers from ATI and that seemed to do the trick (partly).

I now have a following problem with the entire PC being a tad slow (which is down to the graphix I think). Especially with shutting down.

When checking in Heat how the gfx card performce I have a bottleneck at the Polygon rate (just around 900).

I am not sure why the gfx card isn't performing the way it needs to be. I am guessing that the AGP settings for the card are on "auto" (read something about it on some forum). But as it's a 4x and 8x compatible card I think I need to tell the PC that it needs to pick the 4x AGP. It's changable somewhere but just can't find it (in the Bios?)

Could it also be that the Bios settings need updating?

I had already changed the AGP performance in the Bios from 64Mb to 256Mb but that didn't make a difference.

Any advice? Thanks for the tips thus far

Guest Scrapman53

Hi Dragon.

My 9600 card was a 128mb version. I changed the AGP aperture size in the bios to 128mb and had it set to AGP 8x in the bios as well. I also had DirectX 9c installed.

One time after I formatted, my graphics in Heat weren't up to scratch and I couldn't think why. Then it clicked that I hadn't installed my motherboard chipset driver. After that I always got 3 awesomes in the graphics options in Heat.  thumbs_up.gif

Hope this helps m8.

Hi Scrapman,

I can't find the AGP settings in my BIOS. I have set the AGP performance to 256Mb now.

I am not sure weather I can trust the numbers in Heat as my PC is performing good at the moment. Could it be that the polygon rate number exceeds the limit for Nascar Heat and therefor it puts just a number down. I have no trouble runnig Heat.

I just want to know if my GFX card is performing to it's maximum but I am not sure about the numbers in Heat being any good/resebling the true performance of the card

Dragon

AGP apperture and multiplier should be in the same part of the BIOS. If that is the AGP "performance" you're talking about, then the 4x, 8x etc should be on that screen also.

I know in the past, it's been suggested that the apperture size sometimes shouldn't be as big as the video card RAM size, as it's down to how fast the bus is, and whatnot, so you could experiment with that.

Heat does talk some absolute rubbish from time to time when it comes to the speed reports. You could try some other benchmarks, something like '3d Mark'.

Thanks for the reply's guys, it's been very helpfull but sadly didn't solve the problems.

I did run the drivercleaner tool wich seemed to clean up some stuff from my old Nvidia card.

Nascar Heat still gives the polygon rate a bottleneck (+-900) and I have ran out of ideas. I am almost starting to think that the brand new card has a failure in it (but then it wouldn't even work?).

Anyone have an idea what the polygon rate in Nascar Heat means in combination with the graphix card?

Dragon

Thanks for the reply's guys, it's been very helpfull but sadly didn't solve the problems.

I did run the drivercleaner tool wich seemed to clean up some stuff from my old Nvidia card.

Nascar Heat still gives the polygon rate a bottleneck (+-900) and I have ran out of ideas. I am almost starting to think that the brand new card has a failure in it (but then it wouldn't even work?).

Anyone have an idea what the polygon rate in Nascar Heat means in combination with the graphix card?

Dragon

When i finally got my 256mb card installed, Polygon Rate was still bottleneck so to be honest I wouldnt read a great deal into that.

well i would be lookin in to it more...my old old pc run 64mb card and it kick the 9600  256mb card in the the weeds...ask about cards before buying plz lads,ere to help!!

best buy on market is a 6600gt 128mb card for about £100 marker awesome card on agp and will run 99% of games 512/1024 memory ram aswell  thumbup.gif

imho NVIDIA RULES!!!!!!!

Look for AGP drivers from your motherboard manufacturer, for the board you have. Check in the BIOS and make sure (if possible) that the onboard video (if it exists) is Disabled.

I have no experience with Intel chipsets of any kind, so I don't know about the drivers on that site you linked to.

• 1 month later...

Just want to say that the problem is finaly solved.

A complete format of my harddrive and new install of windows plus the graphix card drivers has fixed it.

Graphix card is now working superb :)

Still in the process of putting all things back on the PC again, but luckily that isn't that much

Thanks to all who have tried to help me or gave advice

cheers

Dragon

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..